Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

“Peak Oil Awareness Survey”

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Unread postby Pops » Wed 17 Aug 2011, 11:02:06

Matthew Schneider-Mayerson is writing dissertation entitled “Running on Fumes: The Peak Oil Phenomenon and American Politics“ through the Department of American Studies at the University of Minnesota. As part of this dissertation, he’s collecting opinions from our community via “The “Peak Oil Awareness Survey.” The survey is anonymous and intended to gather information about people engaged with peak oil, and provides a clear picture of who peak oil-aware people are, where they are from, what they believe, and what they’re doing about it. If you complete the survey, once you have finished, you will be able to see real-time results for all survey responses.
... It will be active for the next 6 days only.

H/T Peak Shrink
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: “Peak Oil Awareness Survey”

Unread postby careinke » Wed 17 Aug 2011, 16:10:09

Her link to the survey did not work for me. Oops found the link that does work.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Wed 17 Aug 2011, 16:36:00

You are right P, someone should have proofread her test beforehand. I did like the way she incorporated her Osgood Semantic Differential Scale into the survey. She should have had one more section asking about the survey itself.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 17 Aug 2011, 18:47:25

pstarr wrote:The survey results are not clear. 1 most likely or least likely?

1 = very unlikely
10 = very likely
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Loki » Fri 19 Aug 2011, 21:36:51

My peak-oil-aware opinion is that getting a PhD in American Studies is a poor choice for a post-peak future.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 20 Aug 2011, 06:28:48

I recently did the survey, but found that many of the questions were too US centric and not really relevent to PO at all.

This was despite the "outside USA" option on location.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Alan Cain » Sun 21 Aug 2011, 16:48:47

pstarr wrote:
Loki wrote:My peak-oil-aware opinion is that getting a PhD in American Studies is a poor choice for a post-peak future.
I tried to kill 2 gophers today and they outsmarted me. I have a post graduate degree in science.

1. Sulfur Dioxide - burn sulfur using PROPANE BURNER (hah!!!) also known as the Gestapo method. Note below, and watch for little gas masks. Stay upwind or get yourself a larger gas mask.

2. Water - flood the barstids out - requires personal monitoring to plug with pellet rifle as they emerge from their little tunnels rubbing themselves with little towels while muttering under their breath. Video tape and give up farming for videography career.

3. Traps - sometimes successful, particularly as their children approach college age and the parents urge them to go on "find yourself" trips. Sadly some "find themselves" in nature displays or on spits.
Remember that in a population group, the number of individuals that are below average is equal to (the total number, divided by two), minus one. And that one is not swift.
Alan Cain
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 21 Aug 2011, 22:03:53

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion