Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The CEO Lives WHERE?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The CEO Lives WHERE?

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:43:51

Not sure how long this blog'ish post will stay up, but an interesting thought... References to high end corporate nobility, not living where one might expect them to. Doomsteads anyone?

COMCAST CEO Presidential Visit
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The CEO Lives WHERE?

Unread postby Pops » Mon 22 Aug 2011, 13:46:40

big, scary boulders.

:lol: This is why "rural" is safe from suburban zombies outside the reach of sodium vapor nightlights.

--
We went to pick up one of the granddaughters at the airport in KC and were just taking our time bird-doggin' our way up around the general Lake Ozark area. Its kind of scrub oak rolling hills, rough, poor land. We passed a heavily wooded area with a very expensive 6' fence of barbed and welded wire with a cleared 18 or so feet interior to the fence before heavy woods took over. At the end of the fenceline along the road the fence veered off into the woods and over the hill and the interior road continued as well. This fence encompassed at least 3 or 4 sections just within the 2 sides we skirted and definitely wasn't a stock fence.

Just makes ya wonder...
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 22 Aug 2011, 19:20:15

AgentR11 wrote:Not sure how long this blog'ish post will stay up, but an interesting thought... References to high end corporate nobility, not living where one might expect them to. Doomsteads anyone?

Well, hasn't Martha's Vineyard always been rural living for the rich?

Not a bad doomstead spot for medium-level collapse / anarchy.. it's an island.. no ghettos, no poor.. I wonder where their shop workers and waiters and whatnots live?

Incidentally, find me a candidate who isn't "friends" with CEOs and there's a guy I'd vote for.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Crusty » Mon 22 Aug 2011, 20:36:06

Interestingly, just heard that about 3 x very wealthy US families have just moved into the gated Eco community just up the road (6km) from our little villiage (3,000 people including the Blockies)

Maybe they're just here for the Surf :)
Crusty
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pretorian » Mon 22 Aug 2011, 20:41:15

I don't understand this ceo-bashing. They get too much money for what they do? Isn't it the case for every American? I mean sure, you have to be an ass and a professional rimmer to become one ( I mean CEO of course; I am aware that these qualities aren't required to obtain US citizenship) but it's private money anyway. Lower your CEO's salary if you think it's too much or sell your stock if you can't. Problem solved.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 23 Aug 2011, 00:24:11

Well Romney says "corporations are people," meaning the shareholders, like Jimmy Stewart talking about the bank depositors in "It's A Wonderful Life." But I guess that would also mean that Romney's three homes (down from four) are money that he took from investors, retirees, and the people he sacked. Corporations are people? OK, well he took that money from them personally.

I like to think in terms of the health insurance CEOs - every time they give themselves another million dollars, they have condemned to death another half dozen people to pay for their bonus. This woman dies of breast cancer, this kids doesn't get chemo for their leukemia, this one dies form a simple infection because the company dropped him.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 23 Aug 2011, 00:35:47

Just as a note, my post should not be construed as CEO bashing. More of a noting that people who are very much intertwined with the existing economic condition seem more than a little bit interested in being able to preserve a decent life for themselves and their family in the event the system fails catastrophically, and seem willing to commit significant assets to that purpose.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 23 Aug 2011, 01:00:16

Seriously though, you want to see a doomstead?

Google "Rockwood PA."

This is a very very low population density area, lots of gorges, thickets, and state game lands. Not even a lot of logging up there - 2,700 elevation and at least 6 feet of snow in winter.

Now look south about 5 miles - it's all woods, so it's easy to see the lake that covers a couple hundred acres. But only on the satellite view. And it does not have a name. The lake does not even show up on the map views. It just shows a stream, even on the terrain topos. Note that everything else in the area is shown but not this rather large lake.

There are a couple buildings there, but mostly one fairly large house. There is about 100 white lumps around the house - snow plow piles?

Anyway, this guy has a pretty remote location on a brand new lake. He may well have his own natural gas well.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:35:26

Strang day's have found us - wuz there yestersay.....

Jackson Meadow has 34 homes today; two are soon to be built and 28 sites remain. Lots are priced between $85,900 and $159,900, with homes generally starting upwards of $500,000.

vision-master

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 23 Aug 2011, 14:26:55

Speaking of doomsteads, there is a 1-million acre estate for sale. That's about 40 miles by 40 miles , for those who attended American public school.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion