Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"Starting Over" Movies

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

"Starting Over" Movies

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 25 Aug 2011, 16:31:39

I'm looking for suggestions for movies with a human beings starting over theme.

I recently finished watching the Reimagining Battlestar Gallactica series on netflix. I really liked it. I had watched and liked the original Battlestar Galactica in the 70's and liked that so I had put off watching the new series figuring I might not like it.

At the end of the new series, some 10's of thousands of beings from an advanced civilization find themselves starting over on a pristine world with (mostly) only their current knowledge.

I was wondering what other movies are out there with a similar theme as the ending of Battlestar Galactica.

I seem to recall something where people in modern society all of sudden find themselves without any technology and have to reestablish whatever accomodations they can.

I'd like to see what others imagine would happen if tomorrow, everything man-made disappeared, yet all 6 billion people with their modern knowledge are still here. Maybe the Earth would be restored to a pristine state too. How long would it be before we had a functioning modern society and what would happen in the mean time.

I guess I would imagine it would probably be pretty barbaric for a while and there would be much population thinning, but eventually things would even out and somewhere, some of the technical knowhow would survive in some form and eventually be applied.

Anyway, what movies kind of have this feel ? Any help ?
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: "Starting Over" Movies

Unread postby careinke » Thu 25 Aug 2011, 18:02:32

I just started watching the Earth2 TV series on Netflix. It may suit your bill.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Ferretlover » Thu 25 Aug 2011, 18:36:23

I can't remember the name of it, but there was a 1950s scifi movie about people building a rocket ship to leave their planet because it was going to be destroyed, only a certain number could go in the REALLY hokey :lol: rocket, and they went to some other planet-which I seem to remember was Earth. They had brought animals, tools, etc. Black & white.
Sorry, that's all I can remember at the moment. :(
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Lore » Thu 25 Aug 2011, 18:59:49

Ferretlover wrote:I can't remember the name of it, but there was a 1950s scifi movie about people building a rocket ship to leave their planet because it was going to be destroyed, only a certain number could go in the REALLY hokey :lol: rocket, and they went to some other planet-which I seem to remember was Earth. They had brought animals, tools, etc. Black & white.
Sorry, that's all I can remember at the moment. :(

This was the 1951 movie "When Worlds Collide" based on the 1933 novel co-written by Philip Gordon Wylie and Edwin Balmer. It won an oscar that year for best special effects. You can catch it on TCM ever so often.
LINK

A remake of the movie is in preproduction scheduled for filming in 2012 to be directed by Stephen Sommers.

The latest Ark movie is probabaly the movie "2012".
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Thu 25 Aug 2011, 19:11:01

Terra Nova coming in the Fall:

http://www.fox.com/terranova/
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby basil_hayden » Thu 25 Aug 2011, 19:12:27

All I could think of is that Star Trek movie where they return to Seti Alpha 5, find Khan, and Chekov gets an earful, LOL.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ferretlover » Thu 25 Aug 2011, 20:22:35

Thank you, Lore. :)
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Thu 25 Aug 2011, 21:16:53

Lore wrote:This was the 1951 movie "When Worlds Collide" based on the 1933 novel co-written by Philip Gordon Wylie and Edwin Balmer. It won an oscar that year for best special effects. You can catch it on TCM ever so often.
LINK
A remake of the movie is in preproduction scheduled for filming in 2012 to be directed by Stephen Sommers.
The latest Ark movie is probabaly the movie "2012".

I read that book when I was young and fell in love with Science Fiction - and the sequel "After Worlds Collide" was great, too.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Loki » Thu 25 Aug 2011, 23:11:43

The BBC series "Survivors" is well worth watching, both the original 1970s version and the recent remake. I particularly like the first couple seasons of the original, some interesting episodes on the challenges involved with rebuilding the agricultural base after the total collapse of society.

Though admittedly a bit cheesy, I like the TV series Jeremiah. It's a post-plague drama about how 20/30-somethings rebuild life a decade or two after the death of all the adults.

I also second the Earth 2 recommendation. Come to think of it, I think it's time to watch that one again.

And Dinopello, I assume you've watched Firefly? If not, drop everything you're doing, take a week off work, and watch the entire series (and movie) at least two or three times. :lol:
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Fri 26 Aug 2011, 00:24:04

I thought the series Stargate Universe (SGU) was pretty good, also on NETFLIX.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 26 Aug 2011, 08:26:16

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Earth2 sounds good, although not as large a scale as what I was thinking. Plus, it was canceled after one season so if I like it, I'll be disapointed. Much like firefly ! Loki - I had started watching firefly a while ago and never made it past that opening war scene in the first episode - thought it looked silly. Then a friend told me I had to watch it and once I did, I loved it. Kaylee is the perfect woman, but then all the woman on that series were awesome. But then it was over so fast :x The movie (Serenity) was some consolation. The remake of Survivors and Jeremiah are both now in my queue.

I'll have to check out SGU, others have recommended that to me.

The remake of When Worlds Collide will be something to watch. There is something with that title on Netflix, but it is a documentary about the Spanish settlement of the new world or something.

2012 was a similar set-up for starting over but like BSG, it ended where the movie I'm looking for would start. It is kind of the Noah's Flood story I guess in general. The BSG theme of 'this has all happened before and will all happen again' was something that interested me.

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby midnight-gamer » Fri 26 Aug 2011, 09:27:41

I found the religious overtones of Galactica, off-putting. I still enjoyed it though. You might enjoy the prequel, Caprica. It starts off slow and builds to an amazing finish.
"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
-Dark Helmet.
midnight-gamer
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:25:38

midnight-gamer wrote:I found the religious overtones of Galactica, off-putting. I still enjoyed it though. You might enjoy the prequel, Caprica. It starts off slow and builds to an amazing finish.

Caprica isn't on Netflix, yet but I intend to watch eventually.

I find religion one of the more interesting things about humans so I actually like shows that explore the topic. Very few people (maybe none) I know are completely without spirituality or religion of some sort.

Spirituality - belief in something you make up for yourself
Religion - belief in something someone else made up
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby midnight-gamer » Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:15:27

Caprica isn't on Netflix, yet but I intend to watch eventually.

Hulu has it here. http://www.hulu.com/search?query=Caprica&st=0&fs=
"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
-Dark Helmet.
midnight-gamer
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:10:45

I was imagining something like the first, but with dialogue and a story line that would appeal also to youngsters (since the main audience of the first was children) while maintaining an atmosphere of something epic (like watching Star Wars for the first time). But it looked like a gritty action/political show in space.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:27:10

Logan's run, where humans exit giant techno-domes after centuries of exclusion from nature would be my number one choice. You can imagine that people would have to live in domed cities to excape radiation from a near by supernova, that would fry anyone outside.

One of my favorites of all time!
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews