Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

London is No Longer an English City Former Monty Python Says

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

London is No Longer an English City Former Monty Python Says

Unread postby timmac » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 18:40:20

London is no longer an English city and that's how it got the Olympics, says John Cleese

Mass immigration has turned London into a city that is 'no longer English', John Cleese claims.
The former Monty Python star says he now feels like a foreigner walking through the capital's streets

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032956/John-Cleese-London-longer-English-city-thats-got-2012-Olympics.html

What has Immigration done to your area, here in the Southwest/Vegas just before the bust of 2008 we had the fastest Hispanic growing population and most of it was from across the border, however that has slowed down in the past 2-3 years but it has changed many neighborhoods here in Vegas..

Please don't turn this into a race hate discussion, I am sure the Native Indians were thinking the same about us white folks when we moved in and took over..
Last edited by timmac on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 18:51:55, edited 1 time in total.
timmac
Permanently Banned

Re: London is No Longer an English City Former Monty Python

Unread postby Lore » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 18:47:21

I wouldn't worry too much. The coming global social economic collapse will slow the integration of populations.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 18:56:15

Well he's probably right but..

he's also been living in California for twenty years yet he's complaining about immigration in ENGLAND? Do we have a facepalm smiley? :lol:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 19:32:41

A few years ago, I was working in Islamabad on a job for my UK employer, afterwards I came home to the English midlands via Heathrow.
On the journey after landing, the first person I met was an indian immigration officer then an asian customs officer then another asian ticket collector... etc I never saw an English employee until I almost got home (he drove the taxi), as it was the local shop was owned by indians.

I don't think the ethnic makeup of London has changed that much in the past decade or so, maybe it's just less "ghettoised" now, that can't be a bad thing.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby oddone » Sat 03 Sep 2011, 20:10:10

Kind of strange and ignorant statement from such an otherwise brilliant person.

Much like people in ex-colonies saying e.g. New York is no longer an Indian village. What's his point exactly? When was London ever an "English city"? In the 17th century?

The vikings tried to take London in 1066, but some 1000 yrs before that the Romans had the city. Immigrants has been part of London for 2 millenniums. A few 1000's unemployed youths going on a rampage in anno 2011 is not going to be the end of maybe the greatest city in the world.

And London will never be anything but English, it's culture is so strong you want to be part of it, not change it.
oddone
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 04 Sep 2011, 13:41:30

In the mid 19th century London was famous for its NINA attitude in jobs, No Irish Need Apply. The huge immigration was thought to be threatening Englishness.
In the early 20th Century it was the Jews.
In the 50s and 60s the West Indians, many of whom have at least some English blood in them and were from a culture that was very strongly influenced by British culture.

Today its the same as always, people coming from all over the world to work in a huge multi cultural city.

Same old same old.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 04 Sep 2011, 14:35:03

dorlomin wrote:In the mid 19th century London was famous for its NINA attitude in jobs, No Irish Need Apply.

To be hosest, that was still the case in the 1950s.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby americandream » Sun 04 Sep 2011, 15:33:22

Lol. Guy lives in the US and is what!!!
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 04 Sep 2011, 15:41:37

dolanbaker wrote:
dorlomin wrote:In the mid 19th century London was famous for its NINA attitude in jobs, No Irish Need Apply.

To be hosest, that was still the case in the 1950s.
Well they were sending Niel Lennon bombs in the post just a few months ago. Some dark corners of Ayreshire and Lanarkshire there is still a wee bit of a streak of anti Irishness. That said youd not want to be walking down Coatbridge with a Rangers top on a Saturday night. That said some historians argue it was the large influx of Irish protestants to Scotland that brought Orangeism with them.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 04 Sep 2011, 16:42:51

oddone wrote:Kind of strange and ignorant statement from such an otherwise brilliant person.

What is he ignorant about? The very first time I visited London I thought I was in Africa. English city , yeah right. And any comparison with American Indians is beyond idiocy as they fought as they could, while Brits and many other whites gave away their countries for free.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby JohnRM » Sun 04 Sep 2011, 16:59:22

I am a citizen of the world, and before me, in my city, I see other citizens of the world.
"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -- Thomas Paine
JohnRM
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 04 Sep 2011, 17:02:56

JohnRM wrote:I am a citizen of the world, and before me, in my city, I see other citizens of the world.

Who gave you your citizenship?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Mon 05 Sep 2011, 14:26:28

Although not making the point from a racist POV I understand what Cleese means in some ways.

When I worked in London in the early 80's I rarely met any english people apart from work colleagues but there were the odd pubs/clubs that had english/cockney clientel. Most people I met were also trying to learn english, so wanted to 'practice' on a real englishman. I didn't find this a problem and made friends from all over the world and in my twenties found the cosmopolitan nature of London refreshing and exciting.

When I've visited London over the last few years I've found it that there are very few who have english as a first language and many immigrants tend to keep to their own language more. The last time I went out with my son, he was the only english person I spoke to all night. Over the last few years I've found I meet way many more Australians and Americans in London than English people. Back in the 80's the balance was more 50/50 when it came to those whose 1st language was english.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 05 Sep 2011, 15:14:28

I haven't been there is a while, but am thinking about a trip soon. I am not surprised though. Seems like an even trade for world empire: If you want to be an empire, you have to accept everyone. Even though the empire is long gone, the vestiges are still there. I think England did rather well though considering it is not all that big an Island compared to the empire it once ruled over and profited from.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby oddone » Tue 06 Sep 2011, 18:01:24

Hmmm. Pretorian, the last time the city of London was pure "English" can be debated, but the Romans founded the city on what was probably already an "English" settlement - ca. 2000years ago. Much like the invasion of the native American village in what is now Manhattan ca 400 years ago.

In Londons case it been ransacked, looted and inhabited by Romans, Danes, Norsemen throughout the centuries, and in recent history it became the hub of an empire, with immigrants coming in from everywhere.

Expecting to go to London and not see it's history reflected in it's demographis is - well, ignorant... And now you too.
oddone
Peat
Peat

Unread postby peeker01 » Tue 06 Sep 2011, 18:07:58

You would think he would be more sympathetic.......

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/ ... O020110724
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Novus » Tue 06 Sep 2011, 19:53:35

If you look back at History in England the demographics of London was pretty stable from Middle of the 11th century to middle of the 20th century roughly from 1066 to about 1960. So that is about 900 years of Mono culture that is being thrown away in favor globalist multiculturalism. Yes there was a period of invasions prior to that but it wasn't pretty or something to be desired. That was a time of constant warfare and violence. What is happening to England today should be classified as an invasion and it will / already bringing violence and crime to once peaceful areas. The native English have every right to be angry.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Tue 06 Sep 2011, 22:21:52

Are you forgetting about the French? I'd sooner have Somalis.....
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Return to Open Topic Discussion