Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Ice Breaker Can't Deal With Antarctic Ice

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Unread postby peeker01 » Wed 07 Sep 2011, 22:36:56

No matter which side you are on, you will get a chuckle out of this.....

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/09/07/f ... -research/
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Re: Ice Breaker Can't Deal With Antarctic Ice

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 10 Sep 2011, 04:01:01

Plus the fact that the ice down there has a bit of rock in it! :lol:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dorlomin » Sat 10 Sep 2011, 05:43:02

peeker01 wrote:No matter which side you are on, you will get a chuckle out of this.....

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/09/07/f ... -research/
And now for the real story. The US has allowed its own ice breaker fleet to run down so is now reliant on Russian and Swedish ice breakers. The Polar Sea has been decomissioned and the Polar Star is laid up. Now only one heavy ice breaker, the USCG Healy, is available. The only other they have is for the great lakes, not exactly Arctic class.

So the NSF and the USCG have allowed their fleet to run down and to replace the Odin they are hiring a russian ship the Vladimir Ignatyuk.

Sorry if that was not part of the script.

So this race for the Arctic, the US is doing well.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby steam_cannon » Sat 10 Sep 2011, 13:20:41

dorlomin wrote:So the NSF and the USCG have allowed their fleet to run down and to replace the Odin they are hiring a russian ship the Vladimir Ignatyuk.
Yep the US has spent all her money on wars and is losing every other technology race from ocean to space.

Peaker, thanks for that daily dose of vapid stupidity. THANK GOODNESS the anti-science ditto-monkeys are spreading this article around to have a good har-di-har at the expense of scientists given bad equipment. De-fund research and then the world will be all sunshine and buttercups, right? I'm being sarcastic if you didn't pick that up. But that article is something else, that whole part about how funny it is the "global warming" people are struggling with ice is rhetoric for the barely literate. How dumb would you have to be to think the arctic is completely ice free. Heck, with all chunks of ice the size of states breaking off the poles are more dangerous then ever. And that jab about how ironic their ships use "fossil fuel" is just more stupidity. The article might as well throw in a jab saying if the scientists are so smart they should build their own ships.

Willis Eschenbach wrote:but it’s hard not to enjoy the spectacle of scientists who can’t do global warming research because the Northern Hemisphere is too cold.
Anyone who isn't suffering from Early Alzheimer's should be able to see the misstatement here. The fact that there is still some ice doesn't disprove warming, it can be zero degrees here in the winter and it can be -20 degrees, but you wouldn't laugh at the Northerners for still needing a snowplow on a zero degree day in the winter, anymore then we should laugh at Texas for having to drink processed urine because Texas climate change may have made their drought so bad.
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby The Practician » Sat 10 Sep 2011, 15:12:28

Willis Eschenbach wrote:but it’s hard not to enjoy the spectacle of scientists who can’t do global warming research because the Northern Hemisphere is too cold.

Did anybody else notice that this clown doesn't even know which hemisphere he's talking about?
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby peeker01 » Sat 10 Sep 2011, 15:29:12

The Practician wrote:

Did anybody else notice that this clown doesn't even know which hemisphere he's talking about?

Take another look Practician. The Swedes want to keep the ship in Sweden (that's in the Northern
Hemisphere for you Texans), because the ice in their ports requires the use of the ship in winter,
and therefore have written the letter to Billery informing her of it not being available.

Proves my long-held theory that most people don't read the article, but issue their uninformed
opinion anyway. Now whose the clown?
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby The Practician » Sat 10 Sep 2011, 15:38:35

peeker01 wrote:
The Practician wrote:

Take another look Practician. The Swedes want to keep the ship in Sweden (that's in the Northern
Hemisphere for you Texans), because the ice in their ports requires the use of the ship in winter,
and therefore have written the letter to Billery informing her of it not being available.

Proves my long-held theory that most people don't read the article, but issue their uninformed

My bad, i read the article a week ago and forgot that the issue was that the ship was stuck in the northern hemisphere. Its still a stupid and pointless article.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dorlomin » Sat 10 Sep 2011, 16:14:55

peeker01 wrote:Proves my long-held theory that most people don't read the article, but issue their uninformed

The thread title is

Which very strongly suggests you did not read the article before posting. It could deal with it but was being recalled due to climate change in the Arctic.

Oh wait. No one told you.
AB: A warmer Arctic is influencing the air pressure over the North Pole and wind patterns in mid-latitudes via teleconnections. Recent increased sea ice mobility, loss of multi-year sea ice, and extended open water areas at the end of summer lead to enhanced heat storage in newly sea-ice-free ocean areas, which in turn is released to the atmosphere in the following autumn. This added atmospheric heat content modifies local and far-field wind fields and results in a positive feedback processes affecting Arctic sea ice cover. An example of increased connectivity between Arctic climate and mid-latitude severe weather was present in winter 2009-2010 compared to the past. Higher than normal temperatures and geopotential heights over the central Arctic with lower heights to the south in December 2009 and February 2010 contributed to record cold and snowy weather in Europe, eastern Asia, and eastern North America, a Hot Arctic-Cold Continents pattern. Northern Eurasia (north of 50° latitude to the Arctic coast) and North America (south of 55° latitude) were particularly cold (monthly anomalies of −2°C to −10°C). Arctic regions had anomalies of +4°C to +12°C. Such a pattern has happened previously only three times before in the last 160 years. Over the previous 200 years the early 20th and early 21st century periods stand apart with two distinct warming episodes demonstrating the sensitivity of the Arctic climate to external forcing. While the climate of the Arctic is changing from the base state of the 20th century, it is still unclear what new climate pattern will ultimately appear.

Link

The weakening Polar Vortex is being implicated in the early winter cold spells in the NH.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Sat 10 Sep 2011, 16:57:59

It can't deal with the southern ice because it was held over to deal with the extreme northern
ice. I don't know how else to explain it to you guys.........the letter to hillary says it all. What
more can I do for you guys? Do you want me to read it to you?

As for your NOAA article about why there is so much ice.........It's COLD. WE KNOW THAT.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dorlomin » Sat 10 Sep 2011, 18:00:54

peeker01 wrote:It can't deal with the southern ice because it was held over to deal with the extreme northern ice. I don't know how else to explain it to you guys.........the letter to hillary says it all. What more can I do for you guys? Do you want me to read it to you?
Here is what you wrote

Not 'unavailable to deal with' but 'cant deal with', I guess one has to make allowances for poor education.
peeker01 wrote:As for your NOAA article about why there is so much ice.........It's COLD. WE KNOW THAT.
Its not cold. Every dataset shows it is unusually warm. It is only cold for a limited in a limited set of locations. Understanding that their is more the world than "if I am cold the world is cold" can be your first step on the rewarding road of science.

Come back to us when you work it out.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 10 Sep 2011, 22:15:16

Its not cold. Every dataset shows it is unusually warm

I don't think so if we are talking about Antarctica. The temperature trend there has been amazingly flat for a considerable length of time. the following is out of date by 3 years but I suspect there hasn't been a huge uptick since then.

http://atmoz.org/blog/2008/05/09/antarctic-temperature-trends/
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 11 Sep 2011, 04:30:51

rockdoc123 wrote:
Its not cold. Every dataset shows it is unusually warm

I don't think so if we are talking about Antarctica. The temperature trend there has been amazingly flat for a considerable length of time. the following is out of date by 3 years but I suspect there hasn't been a huge uptick since then.

http://atmoz.org/blog/2008/05/09/antarctic-temperature-trends/

The temperature record in Antartica is very controversial. There are very few stations and they have short histories. More over satellites have a difficult time as so much of it is a 3km high ice sheet. Everyone now agrees the peninsual has been warming rapidly. There has been a fair bit of controvosy this year over two papers that showed differing trends for the rest of the continent. I would see the issue as 'unresolved'.

The low temperatures mean there is only a very limited water vapor feedback, its also so dry there is no moisture for one. Whats more the loss of ozone has reduced warming from the ozone layer and the local weather patterns means that the continent is isolated form the rest of the worlds weather.

FWIW I read peakers point being that the Nothern Hemisphere is cold.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion