Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New Apple HQ invites Ridicule

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

New Apple HQ invites Ridicule

Unread postby anador » Tue 13 Sep 2011, 12:03:44

Interesting response to the design of Apple's new HQ in Cupertino Ca.

This "cutting-edge-mega-building-in-a-park design" is actually not cutting edge at all, it has been replicated in the campuses of most major business campuses since the late 1940s and apple is missing the chance to truly be innovators in their urbanism.

It is disheartening to see that one of the most innovative companies in the world has wasted a great opportunity and is choosing for its new corporate campus the most conventional stereotype of suburban sprawl: a free-standing, single-use, mega-structure in the form of a glass doughnut. We are not talking about architecture here; no doubt the architecture could be spectacular. It will be Foster + Partners designing the building, so we can expect the architecture to be the state of the art. What is hugely disappointing and substandard for Apple is that their place-making concept is wrong. They will create a commuter-oriented environment using one type of building: an object, to which everybody commutes (yes, 2/3 not by car but still commuting). Some may find the spaceship beautiful, free-floating in green space. But that is not the point.

The point is that the Apple campus could have been a real place. Located amidst disconnected fabric of sprawling enclaves, it could have been a focal node in suburban Cupertino. Why not incorporate living, dining, entertainment, shopping, within the campus? This would have been a revolutionary idea, similar to the spectacular Apple products. How about a new elegant product for suburbia – a self-sustained, walkable, human-scale place? An opportunity was missed to correct past mistakes in the way the region grew, to infuse sprawling Cupertino with a piece of real urbanism.

How could this be achieved? The program housed in the corporate mega-structure could be distributed differently: the restaurant facilities, the café, the fitness center, the corporate auditorium, the research facilities could be pulled out of the internalized, air-conditioned mega-space and located along streets, squares and greens, making enjoyable, sociable, intimate environments and public spaces for employees and visitors and taking advantage of the gorgeous California weather. Why would they put 13,000 employees into a huge bubble? Instead of walling off the numerous amenities in a single building, as is typically done in a suburban office enclave, they could be incorporated into an urban fabric to create a lively urban node. Imagine the benefit to those 13,000 employees, and to the city of Cupertino, if those amenities were available in a nice, walkable environment.

The open space as a mega space is also ill conceived, as humans prefer the spectacle of a lively street instead of acres of open space. With security an important issue, the campus could be secured along the perimeter (as the current design suggests) and still be a decent, walkable human environment. The campus will amount to 2.8 million square feet of program – equaling 5% of the total office space in downtown San Francisco - a pretty substantial number that could be distributed into a pedestrian-friendly, human-scale urban fabric of small blocks that would be easy to build, easy to phase, and pleasant to walk around. This is how the human scale, user friendliness, elegance, and simplicity typical of Apple products could have been achieved. Great urbanism integrated with great architecture would have been a perfect fit for Apple’s ambition to create the creative 21-century workplace.

We have become accustomed to seeing the best from Apple. Not this time.
Quotation from Galina Tachieva
Author of The Sprawl Repair Manual and Principal at Duany Plater Zyberk and Co.

And it doesn't help that it looks vaguely like an enormous I-Pod! :-D
@#$% highways
anador
Coal
Coal

Re: New Apple HQ invites Ridicule

Unread postby peeker01 » Tue 13 Sep 2011, 13:07:55

I wonder if it was designed and built in China too?
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 14 Sep 2011, 02:11:28

EDIT:

Long anti-apple rant shortened down to..

It's a ring with a cafe in the middle.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 14 Sep 2011, 16:28:04

pstarr wrote:Who cares? The fact that Apple is suing Samsung for the frickin' shape of its Iputz should tell you that the game is over. Everything Apple now makes is a simple knockoff, an appliance for bored children.

Ok I tried to hold back but can't help it.

Apple has "borrowed" a lot of innovation. The mouse. Even the iPhone.. I myself had an Audiovox with touch, apps, and high speed internet about four years before iPhone came out. I don't know what Apple's magic is, but it's more along the lines of a fashion house. They do seem to popularize features but the guys who innovated all these things get NOTHING for their intellectual work.

Apple has also bought a gazillion patents to protect themselves from lawsuits. I don't know whether they proactively sue based on the patents they buy, just to make cash (they probably do).

But you know what, given their history it's rather rich that they're suing Samsung. :roll:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 20:25:27

pstarr wrote:Yeah. I bought my last Nano. Next is a plain vanilla MP3 player with rechargeable AAA batteries. Any ideas?

I wouldn't know.

Frickin' Apple won't let me back in to get my iTunes songs after my computer crashed. (i never backed them up.. my fault but you know what it's too damn complicated I thought Apple was supposed to be easy.. also what is the point of the Cloud when they screw you like that.. I paid for all these songs already I will not pay again)

p.s. should have saved my old CDs. :twisted:

p.s. p.s. when i get around to it I'll try a begging letter to their customer service, degrading as that is, wish me luck I do miss my music
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 17 Sep 2011, 02:11:12

That looks like a good deal. Why pay Apple just cut out the middleman and buy direct from the Chinese. :)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to North America Discussion