Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

APS Physicist Resigns Over AGW

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

APS Physicist Resigns Over AGW

Unread postby peeker01 » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 15:06:56

Another scientist falls off the AGW bandwagon.

http://www.climatedepot.com/a/12797/Exc ... al-Warming
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Re: APS Physicist Resigns Over AGW

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 16:05:39

Is it my imagination, or are the skeptics almost always physicists in their 80s?

They have free time and no doubt they are wicked smart, but you notice they never say "I personally crunched the data....." possibly because they never learned to use a computer?

This guy won a Nobel Prize, 40 years ago, which makes him 80 something. Maybe the headline should say "Nobel Prize winner in physics can't handle large data set!"

And then there's this guy who called "Climategate" a huge fraud and in 6 months had died of old age. I bet he had lots of interesting opinions!

In October 2010, the APS suffered more scientific woes when another one of its prominent physicists resigned. The late Physicist Hal Lewis, who died in May of 2011, excoriated the APS leadership for its strict dogmatic like adherence to man-made global warming beliefs. See: Prominent Physicist Resigns: 'Climategate was a fraud on a scale I have never seen...Effect on APS position: None. None at all. This is not science' & See: Prominent Physicist Resigns From American Physical Society: 'Global warming is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life' -- APS President Curtis Callan 'seems to have abandoned most ethical principles...APS has become a corrupt organization' & see: APS responds to resignation of Dr. Hal Lewis -- AND Dr. Lewis Responds Back To APS!
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby furrybill » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 16:20:18

Oh my! Another scientist joins the incredibly small minority of man-made global warming deniers. Well then I guess we need to make some major changes because that would also imply that the earth IS flat, a deity DID create the world in seven days, and smoking is NOT bad for you.

What a waste of time. I think it'd be more useful to talk about mitigation strategies [if there are any] that people can perform at a personal or local village level. For example, are there more hardy versions of popular fruits and veggies that will withstand more extreme temperatures and wetter/dryer conditions? Or are there types of housing that will be cooler?
furrybill
Peat
Peat

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 17:38:44

Well you could run all sorts of statistics on deniers by profession and especially age.

It would make a nice letter to Nature.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 17:57:24

You should do that Preston.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Satori » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 18:02:18

peeker01 wrote:Another scientist falls off the AGW bandwagon.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

two or three more and I will REALLY start to worry :razz:
Satori
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby peeker01 » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 18:19:21

Satori wrote:
peeker01 wrote:Another scientist falls off the AGW bandwagon.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

two or three more and I will REALLY start to worry :razz:

How about 30,000

http://www.petitionproject.org/
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Satori » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 18:58:45

boy is that a dodgey list

sure glad those electrical engineers signed on :P

makes me feel real confident about the validity of that project :lol:

and I don't believe in global warming
because AL Gore leaves his damn porch light on ALL day :P
Satori
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 19:58:36

I seems like the denier list will keep growing because they keep the names on the role even after they die of old age. I guess they denying from the afterlife.

That would be another amusing statistic - probability that being a denier means you are dead. You could "prove" that being a denier kills you (ignoring the covariate of age).
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 20:22:35

You guys are going to fall hard when this nonsense collapses. AGW is done.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 21:31:56

I seems like the denier list will keep growing because they keep the names on the role even after they die of old age. I guess they denying from the afterlife.

I find this statement completely reprehensible. For someone who has probably contributed nothing to human knowledge in his entire life to denigrate someone who has made amazing scientific contributions, likely years before you were born is beyond reason. You have neither the knowledge nor the right to question this mans contributions to scientific endeavor. A part of that is his opinion on climate science, based on many years of discussion, reading and arguments with colleagues about the subject. As a physicist he was thinking about these issues long before you were likely in short pants. The Nobel Prize for peace is a bit of a political prize, but the Nobel Prize for Science is something completely different. What have you done?

Show a little respect for those who have gone before you and contributed where you have not.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peeker01 » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 21:52:30

You go doc! Grey Power!
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 23:19:08

rockdoc123 wrote:

I find this statement completely reprehensible. For someone who has probably contributed nothing to human knowledge in his entire life to denigrate someone who has made amazing scientific contributions, likely years before you were born is beyond reason.....

In contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.
-James Watson

It's worth noting Watson wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box either by the time he was in his 70's, but contented himself with doddering around the receptions at Cold Spring Harbor. Until he made some ill advised public comments about race.

The point is, elderly people tend to fall down the same rabbit hole of mild paranoia and proudly saying dumb things to reporters. Even geniuses can end up sounding like an 80 year old dittohead, especially when they are medicated for various things.

Oh and uh sorry to have offended your well developed sense of political correctness.
Last edited by PrestonSturges on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 23:32:17, edited 1 time in total.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 23:27:48

Here's the petition of deniers

http://www.petitionproject.org/qualific ... igners.php

About half are engineers, who tend to be very conservative politically.

Statistician are only 0.3%, which is amazing considering how belligerent they can be.

People with food science backgrounds are 0.2%
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Fri 16 Sep 2011, 23:35:27

Come on guys, give it a rest. Lot's of deniers, so little time.
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Alan Cain » Sat 17 Sep 2011, 00:15:14

peeker01 wrote:Come on guys, give it a rest. Lot's of deniers, so little time.

This just goes hand in hand with your bit about Hubbert and peak oil now being totally debunked. You and rockdoc should go have a little party, maybe hoist a bottle of scotch or two and smoke some fine cuban cigars, having totally decimated (look up the real definition of decimated, btw, for a little joke) all argument for peak oil and for AGW. We are all SO stupid compared to you. Why do you waste your time on us? Does it make you feel justified in your oppositional disorder?

Since we are all fools, is this your restitution because of a Texas court order? They truly do stupid things down there in Texas. So stupid, Oklahoma had to have artillery pointed at you less than a hundred years ago to keep you on your side of the Red River.

You guys are just too much for the rest of our little hysterical (and weak) minds. Unlike your aged, oops, superior, physicists, we all collectively have one of the conditions known generally as "organic brain syndromes"; one is known affectionately as Alzheimer's - you know, the one Pat Robberson says is grounds to abandon your wife or old parents if they suffer from it. I suspect he hopes there is no God, because he has one hell of a lot of 'splainin' to do.

However, I am sure you won't be welcome on my block when you come over for a cup of oil - "just a little oil, please sir, or p'raps a lump of coal; my granny is so cold and she is a bit short of breath. I'm Soooo worried for her."

My response?

"Move along, little Texas bugger; you had lots of oil and you wasted it on your asinine tea parties. My sharing will be for the people you hurt." :-D :-D :-D :-D

Or maybe just, "click", and hope it was the door closing.

You are aware that Texas is likely to become akin to the Saharan desert if you are wrong, eh? We have literacy requirements up here - try Mississippi (sorry, Mississippians - nothing personal) if there is any dry land left. You surely won't be allowed north into Oklahoma.

Your science? Keep working; I remain unconvinced by it. Most of us here have clearly used more than one source.

Hmmm. A little vitriolic, but it feels goooood.
Remember that in a population group, the number of individuals that are below average is equal to (the total number, divided by two), minus one. And that one is not swift.
Alan Cain
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 17 Sep 2011, 00:17:51

There are also physicists and engineers who are skeptical of the 9/11 Commission. I don't think the the APS or the IEEE have taken a position on this - the Commission didn't ask for their opinions.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Sat 17 Sep 2011, 00:37:38

peeker01 wrote:You guys are going to fall hard when this nonsense collapses. AGW is done.

mind me asking why do you care
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sat 17 Sep 2011, 01:56:19

Pretorian wrote:
peeker01 wrote:You guys are going to fall hard when this nonsense collapses. AGW is done.

mind me asking why do you care

My neighbor's retired dad is a consultant for the power comapany in Ohio, and his job is to stir up "grass roots" resistance to wind power.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion