Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Get yer pitchforks! 15O

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Get yer pitchforks! 15O

Unread postby Pops » Wed 12 Oct 2011, 16:20:10

Well, not literally...

On October 15th people from all over the world will take to the streets and squares.

From America to Asia, from Africa to Europe, people are rising up to claim their rights and demand a true democracy. Now it is time for all of us to join in a global non violent protest.

The ruling powers work for the benefit of just a few, ignoring the will of the vast majority and the human and environmental price we all have to pay. This intolerable situation must end.

United in one voice, we will let politicians, and the financial elites they serve, know it is up to us, the people, to decide our future. We are not goods in the hands of politicians and bankers who do not represent us.

On October 15th, we will meet on the streets to initiate the global change we want. We will peacefully demonstrate, talk and organize until we make it happen.

It’s time for us to unite. It’s time for them to listen.

http://15october.net/
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Get yer pitchforks! 15O

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 12 Oct 2011, 16:29:27

I have a compost/manure fork, which has about 20 points. Is that helpful?
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 12 Oct 2011, 17:11:54

As long as they don't throw rocks at my Lexus while I motor by, I'm cool with them doing whatever they want to do.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 12 Oct 2011, 17:28:53

Who's organizing this? Who put up the website?

Or is this another supposedly completely "spontaneous" and "self-organised" event? (wink wink).
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Fishman » Wed 12 Oct 2011, 18:28:27

Oh come now Cog, won't you help me hand out bars of soap?
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Fishman » Wed 12 Oct 2011, 18:32:32

From a Peak OIl point of view, of course we will see lots more of these. Unfortunately unemployment, financial ruin is the true "Powering Down"
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Wed 12 Oct 2011, 18:39:49

As much as I hate the bankers and the powers that be, I won't be protesting on Oct.15th.

The last thing I want is my corporate employer to see me protesting and fire me. I protest by actually voting in secret ballots in EVERY election.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 12 Oct 2011, 19:35:55

Cog wrote:As long as they don't throw rocks at my Lexus while I motor by, I'm cool with them doing whatever they want to do.

Lexus, that's the new Caddy. You a pimp or what?

vision-master

Unread postby basil_hayden » Wed 12 Oct 2011, 21:29:33

I'm busy with fence repairs that day, can we reschedule?

It's so easy to see the solutions, yet almost no one has the will.

Pissed off at the banks, the government and Wall Street in general?

Then stop borrowing, earning and investing.

You can't get something for nothing; if you've borrowed, earned or invested then stop whining - you're the problem.

Every dime you make, they make a dollar.

If you stop, then their lifeblood stops and they're powerless.

Find another way.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 12 Oct 2011, 21:40:24

From the site.. they're going to have "assemblies" doing collaborative documents, text chat, voice and video chats:

On the days 8th and 9th of October will take place a global virtual assembly to talk about everything related with the October 15th.

During 48 hours, there will be availabe channels of chat [1], audio-chat [2] and video chat [3], where people from all the world will be able to talk with each other, about the ideas and activities decided in their assemblies for the 15th, sharing what are our expectations, what is the situation in our countries, and well, it’s a good excuse to meet! And to begin our new way together to fight for a better world, where each one of us has his place and where human dignity is at its basis.

There will be also an open collaborative document [4] , for everyone writing in it what are the plans for the October 15th in their place, some contact, proposals, etc., so after the weekend, everyone will be able to know what is going to happen everywhere, and have the possibility to coordinate actions and ideas for the 15th with people from any part of the world.
http://15october.net/48h-global-virtual-assembly/

There was a commentator on MSNBC last night I think, talking about how everything has changed with social networking and the internet in general. Younger people were raised on it, their brains work differently. He said anyone 30+ may not understand how quickly-developing and unified these from-the-ground-up movements are -- but get used to it, it's the future.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Wed 12 Oct 2011, 22:06:19

Fishman wrote:Oh come now Cog, won't you help me hand out bars of soap?

I will bring a few trinkets to them Saturday. I don't speak progressive but everyone likes free stuff.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby papa moose » Thu 13 Oct 2011, 01:54:22

basil_hayden wrote:You can't get something for nothing; if you've borrowed, earned or invested then stop whining - you're the problem.

Surely me pulling a wage whilst in reality spending the better part of 8hrs a day lurking internet forums is not helping The Man in any meaningful way.
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
Well, the odds are that for somebody else, you're that person.
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Oakley » Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:46:24

I certainly hope they don't have the demand for democracy met. Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what is for dinner.

What the US is supposed to have is a republic. This is a government limited by Constitutional restraints. Unfortunately the federal government chooses to ignore much of the Constitution, and do what pleases the privileged few who have bought and paid for virtually all the politicians. To placate the plundered and controlled majority, they hand out a little of what they have plundered to make them think they are getting something. It works exactly like what happens to someone who has been kidnapped and brainwashed so that the enslaved public doesn't even try to escape if they have the opportunity (Patty Hurst for example).

One good thing about peak energy is that it is sure to help make the level of pain and suffering unacceptable and those in charge will get the blame. Maybe it will get so bad that even Madame Guillotine will be dusted off and rolled out to reek wreak her vengeance. It sure looks like the masses are slowly waking up to their subservient position.

The spelling Nazi was here.
"The deepest sin against the human mind is to believe things without evidence" Thomas H Huxley
Oakley
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby DrGray » Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:58:59

Repent wrote:I protest by actually voting in secret ballots in EVERY election.

Sorry, no disrespect but this line made me laugh.

I will be participating in Bank Transfer Day. Transferring my money to beneath the mattress, that is.
DrGray
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Alan Cain » Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:35:57

Sixstrings wrote:From the site.. they're going to have "assemblies" doing collaborative documents, text chat, voice and video chats:

>>>>snip<<<<

There was a commentator on MSNBC last night I think, talking about how everything has changed with social networking and the internet in general. Younger people were raised on it, their brains work differently. He said anyone 30+ may not understand how quickly-developing and unified these from-the-ground-up movements are -- but get used to it, it's the future.

The problem with network communications is that networks can be turned off. See Egypt, et al. If the Stuff really hits the fan, the networks are firmly under control, and not by 30 minuses, except for some sysops.

Easy to filter, easy to take down, not robust. Aren't there some RIM switch problems with blackberries (aka crackberries) just resolved?

Not to say I like it, but there it is.
Remember that in a population group, the number of individuals that are below average is equal to (the total number, divided by two), minus one. And that one is not swift.
Alan Cain
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:52:44

Hoo-RAY! We're having a 15O here in central Alaska. The organiser spokeswoman was at the university a few years ago and is a friend, so I'm definitely going. The 15O here labels itself as being for "everyone who isn't happy with the current situation."

Who the heck is happy with the current situation!!!

Damn those bastards in the 1% who are making us unhappy with our current situation!!!! :)
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 13 Oct 2011, 15:21:29

Alan Cain wrote:
Sixstrings wrote:From the site.. they're going to have "assemblies" doing collaborative documents, text chat, voice and video chats:

>>>>snip<<<<

The problem with network communications is that networks can be turned off. See Egypt, et al. If the Stuff really hits the fan, the networks are firmly under control, and not by 30 minuses, except for some sysops.

Easy to filter, easy to take down, not robust. Aren't there some RIM switch problems with blackberries (aka crackberries) just resolved?

Not to say I like it, but there it is.

But you can't shut down dial up modems. lsol
vision-master

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 13 Oct 2011, 15:24:09

Plantagenet wrote:Hoo-RAY! We're having a 15O here in central Alaska. The organiser spokeswoman was at the university a few years ago and is a friend, so I'm definitely going. The 15O here labels itself as being for "everyone who isn't happy with the current situation."

Who the heck is happy with the current situation!!!

Damn those bastards in the 1% who are making us unhappy with our current situation!!!! :)

Which are you, the top .01% planted?
vision-master

Unread postby basil_hayden » Thu 13 Oct 2011, 21:54:36

papa moose wrote:
basil_hayden wrote:You can't get something for nothing; if you've borrowed, earned or invested then stop whining - you're the problem.

Surely me pulling a wage whilst in reality spending the better part of 8hrs a day lurking internet forums is not helping The Man in any meaningful way.

Amen Brother, except if your billable labor and not overhead, because if you're billing there making ching off of lurking.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion