Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Tom Murphy, "Peak Oil - Why We need to Plan Now"

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Tom Murphy, "Peak Oil - Why We need to Plan Now"

Unread postby Pops » Mon 07 Nov 2011, 12:00:15

Really good article and some new charts (new to me)

Peak Oil - Why We need to Plan Now
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Tom Murphy, "Peak Oil - Why We need to Plan Now"

Unread postby The Practician » Mon 07 Nov 2011, 16:50:29

I sought articles and analysis on projected house prices, and came across two divergent predictions: level/growth (most stories); and bursting bubble. I noticed a clear difference in the flavor of the articles. The bursting bubble stories used lots of numbers, stats, and analysis. I’m a sucker for that....Meanwhile, the level/growth narratives tended to be hand-wavy: San Diego was such a desirable place to live that homes would not lose their value. The expanding diversity of jobs into high-tech further insulated San Diego against downturn. The activity was not speculative because families—not investors—were actually buying and moving into homes at the elevated prices. We had reached a new normal in prosperity.

This Is probably the main reason I count myself a member of the doomer camp. I think of predicting the future of anything as a sort of complicated
Algebraic equation. You take a number of variables, decide how big an issue they are, assign them positive or negative values, and then you do the math. It seems to me that most of the more serious or creditable people in the Doomer camp are doing their math with a larger number of variables, and are able to provide more rational and comprehensive justification for whatever particular value they assign to those variables, than even the most sober cornucopians.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Mon 07 Nov 2011, 18:25:01

Excellent article. I posted it on my Facebook homepage for all my friends and family to see.

Now there will be no doubt that I'm the nut in family. :-D
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peripato » Mon 07 Nov 2011, 19:50:01

Nothing will be done about peak oil (or climate change, or peak debt - or substitute any number of limiting factors heading our way), until the effects are well and truly undeniable. This is just human nature. By that stage it will be way too late, since, as the Hirsch Report quoted in the article explains, a concerted 20 year transition time is required to mitigate, not prevent, its worst consequences. Until then, lip-service, hand-waving and whistling past the grave yard will rule our actions.

This is why I am a doomer.
"Don’t panic, Wall St. is safe!"
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ritter » Tue 08 Nov 2011, 12:31:25

peripato wrote:Nothing will be done about peak oil (or climate change, or peak debt - or substitute any number of limiting factors heading our way), until the effects are well and truly undeniable. This is just human nature. By that stage it will be way too late, since, as the Hirsch Report quoted in the article explains, a concerted 20 year transition time is required to mitigate, not prevent, its worst consequences. Until then, lip-service, hand-waving and whistling past the grave yard will rule our actions.

This is why I am a doomer.

Yup. And just to point out, the author's title is woefully optimistic. We needed a plan several decades ago. "Now" is too Goddamned late.
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby evilgenius » Tue 08 Nov 2011, 13:26:22

Worse still will be trying to go forward in the face of climate change, which has such delay built into its effects that decreased fossil fuel usage will not show up for some time. Climate change should be the peaker's friend(making the world slow down usage), but when mitigation occurs only after recognition of an actual physical peak the costs of addressing climate change will wrestle with peak oil mitigation for funding. People will choose peak oil mitigation over climate change mitigation because the economic impact will transpire more quickly. Then they will realize they should be spending on both. There won't be enough money. Fortunately, many parts of the world won't be able to afford to contribute to global warming anymore at that point. The whole thing kind of reminds me of the things Montequest used to say.
When it comes down to it, the people will always shout, "Free Barabbas." They love Barabbas. He's one of them. He has the same dreams. He does what they wish they could do. That other guy is more removed, more inscrutable. He makes them think. "Crucify him."
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion