Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New Topic: Will Peak Oil Become Redundant?

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

New Topic: Will Peak Oil Become Redundant?

Unread postby Laromi » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 07:08:22

With the current changing face of the "accepted" norm of physics enshrined in thermodynamic theory, practical science is now delivering up deeper darker secrets as technology advances. It is not so much nano-technology - to pick on only one major advance in science, but fundamental challenges to a conceptual understanding of the basic laws of physics.

That is;
1: CERN, "Results from a second experiment uphold the observation that neutrinos are moving faster than the speed of light. The OPERA collaboration, which first reported the superluminal neutrinos in September, has rerun the experiment and detected 20 new neutrinos breaking Einstein’s theoretical limit." Wired.com

2: LENR, Aside from the Rossi phenomenon, many scientists have in fact confirmed the occurrence of greater than unity Values subsequent to experimentation with H2 and Ni. at least. The view of many folk now appears to be changing into a belief that LENR has the potential to become the little fusion fuel (truck, boat, household etc.) brother of a thorium fusion base-load general energy supply as things move onto a decidedly greener lower risk global energy supply.

3: Gravity, "Newton's gravitational constant G changes with the orientation of test masses by at least 0.054 per cent, according to Gershteyn's experiments, a remarkable and unprecedented finding that has landed his paper on the subject in the journal Gravitation and Cosmology. "The existence of such an effect requires simply a radically new theory of gravitation, because the magnitude of this effect dwarfs any of Einstein's corrections to Newtonian gravity. ... The constant G puts precise limits on gravity's attractive force and appears in equations that describe any gravitational field, whether the field is between planets, stars, galaxies, microscopic particles or rays of light." hbcl.com

Centuries of measurement have firmly fixed the value of G at 6.673 X 10–11 cubic meters per kilogram per square second.
If G varies under any circumstances, scientists would have to rewrite virtually every physical law and a long–accepted feature of the Universe isotropy, or the condition that a body's physical properties are independent of its orientation in space.

A different viewing and understanding/utilization of the above "laws" may well make peak-oil peak fuel as the world races willy-nilly off to synthesize plastics and fertilizers from the still existent or undisturbed supplies of oil or, will the world, in the main, harvest and recycle those existing chemical ingredients resulting from prior manufacturing adventures in the face of a cheaper, and potentially astronomically cheaper supplies of energy.

The question I propose therefore is: Will Peak Oil become redundant?
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Re: New Topic: Will Peak Oil Become Redundant?

Unread postby Cog » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 07:52:30

No
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 08:35:36

I have not even a clue as to how much we already "know" but by definition we don't know how much we don't know or, if what can be known will make a difference. So short answer, who knows?

Meanwhile, back at the Quik Stop, we're burning our endowment of FFs while we run in to get a Snickers.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 09:19:13

Just think what a truck load of AK 47s would have done for George Custer had they just arrived in time. The finite is in a race with the infinite.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby sparky » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 09:50:48

Sure the CERN experiment is fascinating stuff ,
but it will always take the same amount of energy to boil a saucepan of water

anyway , should the human race make a breakthrough in near infinite production of energy ,
then the world population will tend to expand accordingly
we are pretty much destroying the Earth with 7 billions

imagine what kind of world it would be with twenty

the peak oil limit is a token of any other "peak civilization" one might think of
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ian807 » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 10:38:13

Laromi wrote:The question I propose therefore is: Will Peak Oil become redundant?

I think you meant, "irrelevant," not redundant.
Regardless, the answer is, "Not in a timeframe that matters to the people living today."

Energy, economics and complexity are going to hand us a hard lesson before the century is out.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cog » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 10:44:02

ian807 wrote:Energy, economics and complexity are going to hand us a hard lesson before the decade is out.

Fixed
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 18:14:35

Cog wrote:
ian807 wrote:Energy, economics and complexity are going to hand us a hard lesson before the decade is out.

Fixed

Looking at the state of the economy, I would say it's already happening.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Laromi » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 20:06:07

ian807 wrote:
Laromi wrote:I think you meant, "irrelevant," not redundant.
Regardless, the answer is, "Not in a timeframe that matters to the people living today."

Energy, economics and complexity are going to hand us a hard lesson before the century is out.
- Yes to the second part.

I think Peak Oil will always retain some relevancy however, the use and connotation of the term "Peak Oil" may possibly pass into disuse as does the requirement for hydrocarbon fuels. It is because of the use of other energy sources hydrocarbon fuels may, through overproduction, produce a surplice or unwanted portion of hydrocarbon fuels that are produced and stored.
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ian807 » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:37:03

dolanbaker wrote:
Cog wrote:

Fixed

Yes, the first phases, economic suppression and oil price spikes have happened. Effects have been mild so far (hard to believe if you're unemployed), but eventually, the combination of economic turmoil and high energy prices permanently break world supply chains as we now know them.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 16:57:11

ian807 wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:
Cog wrote:

Fixed

Yes, the first phases, economic suppression and oil price spikes have happened. Effects have been mild so far (hard to believe if you're unemployed), but eventually, the combination of economic turmoil and high energy prices permanently break world supply chains as we now know them.

Yes, as things stand right now we are elevated to an extremely high level of complexity and it's a very long way to the bottom. Were likely to drop a few steps every couple of years from now on.
The end of cheap Chinese made consumer (landfill) goods may be just around the corner!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 18:18:28

Laromi wrote: 1: CERN, "Results from a second experiment uphold the observation that neutrinos are moving faster than the speed of light. The OPERA collaboration, which first reported the superluminal neutrinos in September, has rerun the experiment and detected 20 new neutrinos breaking Einstein’s theoretical limit." Wired.com

Either (a) systematic experimental error or (b) an ultimate speed limit is speed of neutrinos not light or (c) neutrinos are tachyons.

(a) and (c) are inconsequential for special relativity albeit (c) would be harming causality and render Universe to be non-deterministic and (b) would call for some minor modification of special relativity.

2: LENR, Aside from the Rossi phenomenon, many scientists have in fact confirmed the occurrence of greater than unity Values subsequent to experimentation with H2 and Ni. at least. The view of many folk now appears to be changing into a belief that LENR has the potential to become the little fusion fuel (truck, boat, household etc.) brother of a thorium fusion base-load general energy supply as things move onto a decidedly greener lower risk global energy supply.

Fraud or/and pathological science.
Inconsequential for general course of events.

3: Gravity, "Newton's gravitational constant G changes with the orientation of test masses by at least 0.054 per cent, according to Gershteyn's experiments, a remarkable and unprecedented finding that has landed his paper on the subject in the journal Gravitation and Cosmology. "The existence of such an effect requires simply a radically new theory of gravitation, because the magnitude of this effect dwarfs any of Einstein's corrections to Newtonian gravity. ... The constant G puts precise limits on gravity's attractive force and appears in equations that describe any gravitational field, whether the field is between planets, stars, galaxies, microscopic particles or rays of light." hbcl.com

Centuries of measurement have firmly fixed the value of G at 6.673 X 10–11 cubic meters per kilogram per square second.

There is an uncertainty in G measurement amounting to 0.0004 X 10 E-11 m3*kg-1*s-2.
http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Val ... l+constant

So part of the error was related to measurement error and part due to neglected interactions of far away massive objects.

Artefacts or effects related to uneven mass distribution within our Galaxy or may be even certain anisotropy of Universe detected.

Copy of work in question can be found below:
http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0202/0202058.pdf

The question I propose therefore is: Will Peak Oil become redundant?

No.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Laromi » Mon 21 Nov 2011, 09:43:43

EU may I direct you to more timely advices on the subjects of C> or C2 & G

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, November 19 2011, 1:50 AM

Neutrinos blasted to lab 450 miles away arrived sooner than light beam - again!
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/e ... z1eLIPL9u3 Second experiment shows neutrinos travel faster than speed of light, challenging Einstein’s theory of relativity. BY Amanda Mikelberg

Experimental Evidence that the Gravitational Constant Varies with Orientation.
by Mikhail L. Gershteyn∗†, Lev I. Gershteyn†, Arkady Gershteyn†, Oleg V. Karagioz‡; an update on your reference to G
May I direct you to;- https://digitalcollections.anu.edu.au/b ... _solve.pdf
∗Massachusetts Institute of Technology, NW16-189, 167 Albany St., Cambridge, MA
02139, U.S.
† Insight Product Co., PO Box 35297, Brighton, MA 02135, U.S.
‡Tribotech division of National Institute of Aviation Technology
5-12 Pyrieva St.,Moscow 119285, Russia

Breaking the Law of Gravity
By Charles Platt http://www.wired.com As one physicist told me, "New ideas are always criticized - not because an idea lacks merit, but because it might turn out to be workable, which would threaten the reputations of many people whose opinions conflict with it. Some people may even lose their jobs." “One may ask at the end whether Smanradache hypothesis that there is not a (speed limit on nature)limit speed on the nature, based on the EPR-Bell (Einstein, Podolsky, Rosen, Bell) paradox is a realistic fact.” 2001
• May I direct you to;- https://digitalcollections.anu.edu.au/b ... _solve.pdf
• Pete Skeggs's gravity information page: http://www.inetarena.com/~noetic/pls/gravity.html
• James Woodward's mass-reduction theory: http://www.npl.washington.edu/AV/altvw83.html
• Antigravity mailing list: http://www.in-search-of.com/
• John Schnurer's Gravity Society: http://www.gravity.org/
• NASA's breakthrough propulsion physics program: http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/

Thank you for the direction to subject resources EU, but alas, all to late. I post the above as it may be of interest to you EU and of course others of this forum. For me there is too much to digest, too much content to comment on, and when all is said and done my comment on this forum is only my opinion on the evidence I am generally exposed to. Certain subjects may best be left to the academic researcher for greater structural analysis and comment. But folk on the forum having two bob's worth of say on "the subject" might, just might, encourage resolve by the researcher to sharpen his/her pencil up a bit
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 21 Nov 2011, 14:13:44

Laromi wrote:EU may I direct you to more timely advices on the subjects of C> or C2 & G

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, November 19 2011, 1:50 AM

Neutrinos blasted to lab 450 miles away arrived sooner than light beam - again!
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/e ... z1eLIPL9u3 Second experiment shows neutrinos travel faster than speed of light, challenging Einstein’s theory of relativity. BY Amanda Mikelberg

Newspapers meant for general public are not the best source of scientific information.
Again, it is crossing of speed limit (c), not travelling faster than c, what would undermine special relativity.
FTL objects interacting with ordinary matter, but never crossing c are in breach of causality but not special relativity.

To break special relativity you must demonstrate an object to cross c barrier one way or another.
If said neutrinos are born with FTL speed, they do not breach special relativity.

Experimental Evidence that the Gravitational Constant Varies with Orientation.

What might be an evidence of certain pattern of distribution of mass in our Galaxy or even an evidence of anisotropy of Universe (what would spell some troubles to certain cosmological models) but not necessarily and most unlikely an evidence of failure of theories describing gravity like general relativity.

Btw,
As per quantum entanglement, EPR paradox, Bell Inequality Principle and related subjects it is enough to say that no method exist which would allow us to employ entangled particles for the purpose of FTL information transfer.
So if you work out how to employ quantum entanglement to these ends, you would crush special relativity and surely earn Nobel Prize.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Energy Technology