Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The real Elizabeth Bathory?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The real Elizabeth Bathory?

Unread postby vampyregirl » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 12:45:27

Hungarian Countess Erzebeth Bathory, Elizabeth in English, is known as the greatest mass murderess in history but are the stories true? There are theories she was the victim of a political conspiracy. It is known that European lords owed her money and didn't want her to pay their debts. Also she was known as a healer and women healers in those days were accused of being withces and everything else. And in those days rumors flew fast, especially sensational macabre ones. Also i read the stories about her taking blood baths started many years after she died.
She was not a saint. She was abusive to her servants and while that wasn't right it wasn't uncommon among nobility at the time.
by all accounts she was a good mother and a physician so this is not a totally evil person. So i wonder perhaps people have accepted historical rumor as fact?
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Re: The real Elizabeth Bathory?

Unread postby ian807 » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 19:00:47

vampyregirl wrote:Hungarian Countess Erzebeth Bathory, Elizabeth in English, is known as the greatest mass murderess in history but are the stories true? There are theories she was the victim of a political conspiracy. It is known that European lords owed her money and didn't want her to pay their debts. Also she was known as a healer and women healers in those days were accused of being withces and everything else. And in those days rumors flew fast, especially sensational macabre ones. Also i read the stories about her taking blood baths started many years after she died.
She was not a saint. She was abusive to her servants and while that wasn't right it wasn't uncommon among nobility at the time.
by all accounts she was a good mother and a physician so this is not a totally evil person. So i wonder perhaps people have accepted historical rumor as fact?

Tell me again how this relates to peak oil?
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Novus » Sat 19 Nov 2011, 19:26:34

It is the open topic discussion forum. We can talk about anything we want here. Historical inquiries are quite fascinating especially since history tends to repeat itself. To see the future all one has to do is study the past.
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 20:57:58

Novus wrote:It is the open topic discussion forum. We can talk about anything we want here.

Not according to the statement about this forum:
Post all non-peak oil news here. The Open Forum is for other topics that may be of interest or benefit to our members.

So the correct question is: how is this of interest or benefit to our members?
babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ian807 » Mon 21 Nov 2011, 15:01:55

babystrangeloop wrote:
Novus wrote:It is the open topic discussion forum. We can talk about anything we want here.

Not according to the statement about this forum:
Post all non-peak oil news here. The Open Forum is for other topics that may be of interest or benefit to our members.

So the correct question is: how is this of interest or benefit to our members?
Unfortunately, I'd have to say, "Not much." Sounds like something that would only interest a historian or teenage girl.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 22 Nov 2011, 03:56:50

A historical example of "demonization" which is used these days to incite oil wars.

It is known that European lords owed her money and didn't want her to pay their debts.
This is also a factor in oil wars - consuming countries can't pay their oil bills, so they "freeze" the assets of oil producers and give them to a new regime that will "recycle" it back to their banksters.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion