Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Sending out an S. O. S.

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Sending out an S. O. S.

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:59:45

Had to pull two ppl from a car last night. The suv in front of me spun out on a county road afterdark with ice glazed roads. The suv flipped three time bf landing on it's side. Had to pry open the drivers door. Thankfully mom and her son where ok. Flagged down the next truck so they could call 911. Left them with the guy with the truck. Everything turned out ok.

Would you have stopped to help, our just kept going?
vision-master

Re: Sending out an S. O. S.

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 12:08:27

Stopped to help.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby WildRose » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 12:22:59

Yes. I would help in whichever way I could.

Last winter, I had the opportunity to help a stranger. He wasn't hurt, but he had just moved into the neighborhood and his two prized black lab retrievers had wandered off. He was afraid they would get lost or get hit by a car. It was a very cold night in late November, and I had been out walking with my dog in that neighborhood when the guy approached me and asked if I'd seen his dogs. He told me his address, and I made a mental note of it and went back to my van, which was parked nearby. I drove around his neighborhood, which I know well, to look for his dogs. After half an hour or so I found the first one, called him over (he told me his dogs' names) and coaxed the dog into my van with my dog in the back. I drove back to the guy's address but he wasn't there; I assumed he was out looking for his dogs. So, I drove around the streets again and a few minutes later found the second dog and called him over. He was hard to get into my van, not as trusting of strangers. I was stopped at an intersection trying to get this dog in my van and a guy in a car stopped behind me and asked if I needed help. I said it would be great if he could help me get this dog into my van (told him why I was doing this), and eventually I drove off with these two labs and headed back to the owner's address. By this time he was there, and surprised to see me with his dogs. I got a big hug!
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 14:15:01

On a country or local road, certainly.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Duende » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 14:56:51

Cog wrote:

You're getting soft, Cog. :-D
Duende
Coal
Coal

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 15:30:57

Of course I would.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 15:49:41

Am I traveling to or from the range with my assault rifle or not?

(I'm not paranoid)
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 15:57:00

rangerone314 wrote:Am I traveling to or from the range with my assault rifle or not?

(I'm not paranoid)

You mean you travel without your weapon sometimes?? I am assuming you would still have a handgun or two available.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 15:58:30

Duende wrote:Cog wrote:

You're getting soft, Cog. :-D

It's just the right thing to do - period!
vision-master

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 16:08:49

I broke down on the lonely gravel road to my place a few months ago. Within an hour I had three people stop to help, and the last one drove me to my house to get tools and back to help me work on the truck. That is the kind of thing country people do ALL the time. Never in question.
Thats why I wouldn't live in the city.
But I think that anyone on this forum would stop for someone that had rolled a car and obviously needed help.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 16:43:46

dolanbaker wrote:Stopped to help.

That should read.

I would always stop to help!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 17:35:52

Once I had to give mouth-to-mouth at an accident scene in order to revive a person. The sheeple just stood there as gawkers.

Some ppl just do what they have to do!
vision-master

Unread postby Loki » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 17:39:25

Of course I'd stop in a situation like that.

A few weeks ago as I was driving a large box truck back to the farm I came across a dog that had just been hit by a car, bleeding profusely but still alive (poor thing was wagging its tail like it was happy). It was a narrow, twisty rural road with no shoulder, so I couldn't safely pull the truck over. And I didn't have any way of humanely putting the dog down anyway, so I drove home (~2 miles), grabbed my pistol and drove back in my personal vehicle. But by the time I got back (maybe 5-10 minutes later), the dog was gone. Apparently someone else had stopped. To be honest I was a bit relieved, the last thing I wanted to do after work that day was put a bullet in a dog's brain.

Earlier this summer I saw a big dust cloud on the Interstate, as I reached it I saw that a motorhome had careened off the road into the ditch between the northbound and southbound lanes. Multiple people were already helping the occupants of the motorhome, so I didn't stop. I don't think having a crowd of people “helping” is useful in situations like that.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 19:02:36

Once a middle aged guy, an unemployed cancer survivor from some poor village, stopped to help 2 teenagers with their broken car. One hits him with a hammer. Next thing he knows, he is dragged into bushes and tortured for an hour or so. In his last 8 minutes he gets his face leveled to ground zero with a hammer , then poked repeatedly with a screwdriver in the abdomen, face, and eyes. In the final scene he is hammered to death.
Then teenagers attend his funeral , and make a photo-shoot of themselves near his cross.

I'd strongly suggest not to watch the video
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 19:14:41

You R strange.
vision-master

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 19:37:52

Why, i'm just saying there is a price for everything, for being a good Samaritan for example. No good deed goes unpunished, you know.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 19:56:25

Pretorian wrote:Once a middle aged guy, an unemployed cancer survivor from some poor village, stopped to help 2 teenagers with their broken car. One hits him with a hammer. Next thing he knows, he is dragged into bushes and tortured for an hour or so. In his last 8 minutes he gets his face leveled to ground zero with a hammer , then poked repeatedly with a screwdriver in the abdomen, face, and eyes. In the final scene he is hammered to death.
Then teenagers attend his funeral , and make a photo-shoot of themselves near his cross.

I'd strongly suggest not to watch the video

Boys will be boys?
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby efarmer » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 22:10:55

First off, kudos VM it is simply the right way to behave.

I remember one cold and icy winter night when the wind was howling,
and I pulled out and swerved right away to avoid a child and I rolled right
off the sofa and banged my head on the coffee table corner. It was high
pucker factor fer sure, but everything turned out OK with the exception
of crushing my midnight snack raspberry jelly donuts I had put by the sofa
to enjoy in the afterglow as well as two big tumblers of Tang that spilled
all over the place too.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 20 Nov 2011, 23:37:21

Have you lost your marbles?

Many lost souls on this 4um. :|
vision-master

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 21 Nov 2011, 00:34:46

Lost souls? I don't think so. Just people who are a little bit further along in the recognition of what's going on, gallows humor is one of the forms of mitigating the impact it has on one's mind.

To the question.. I've never been exposed to the situation; closest I came was a young woman pedestrian who got hit crossing in front of a freeway exit ramp. (no idea why). I stopped to assist (had to get her out of a traffic lane that was obscured by evening setting sun) and call the ambulance; she died though. (her abdomen and ribcage had been completely crushed...) In hindsight, she likely died almost instantly, but the situation was so surreal during the event that it was hard to acknowledge that life had already departed.

Still there was no risk to me, daytime, plenty of people in the vicinity; so not a fair comparison.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion