Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

American Tax Dollars at Work!

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

American Tax Dollars at Work!

Unread postby JohnRM » Thu 22 Dec 2011, 08:14:28

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/21/us/texas- ... ?hpt=hp_c1

Take a good look. Shakira is a four year old little girl from Pakistan that suffered this damage to her face after a US drone strike. I am posting this, because when I first saw it, it crushed me. I plan to copy this and post it to every forum I use and to make hard copies to pass around in my area. I want everybody to see what we're doing to people over there. Americans are paying for it and they need to see what they're getting for their money. They need to have this image right in their face. I want it to haunt them in their sleep. This little girl isn't the only one. We've done this to millions, over the years. We the People are responsible for this.

Who is going to respond and justify this? Who is brave enough?

For the rest of you, why isn't this stuff front-page? Why are we not angry about this? Do we, as Americans, not care?
"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -- Thomas Paine
JohnRM
Peat
Peat

Re: American Tax Dollars at Work!

Unread postby dukey » Thu 22 Dec 2011, 08:50:42

The American war machine is so big, there are no real threats to it. They are pretty much free to kill people in whichever country they want. All they have to do is sell the war no matter how bogus to the idiot American public, and this doesn't seem to be a hard thing to do.
dukey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 22 Dec 2011, 09:18:44

Some things never change, no matter how much they should.

It's not like we were never warned.

http://www.h-net.org/~hst306/documents/indust.html

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction.

Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peacetime, or indeed by the fighting men of World War II or Korea.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United States corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper togethe
r.

Military-Industrial Complex Speech, Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8678478.stm
http://www.gensuikin.org/english/photo.html
http://laoscambodia.com/genocide.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cloud9 » Thu 22 Dec 2011, 09:27:24

The seeds we have sown are coming home.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby gollum » Fri 23 Dec 2011, 04:35:15

It's just disgraceful we engage in such behavior.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 10:29:05

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Happy New Year, don't forget the old year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntLsElbW9Xo

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/23964 ... struction-
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 01 Jan 2012, 14:00:54

What I dislike about the Eisenhower speech is that it has given an "out" to Americans, unintentional as that might have been. It is no longer *us* committing these various horrors, but some distant, abstract, un-person, that we name "military-industrial complex". We want oil, it gets us oil, and does horrible things in the process; we see the horrible thing, and we do not say, "I did that.", but rather, "they did that, and they should be held to account."

Resolve to yourselves, next time you turn the key to the ignition in your car or truck, "I did that.".
Own it.

Eisenhower's speech is not about a "they". Its about us, you, me, himself; our ownership of what we chose to create. "THEY" don't do anything without our desire and consent; they obey it with complete dispassion. The consequences are *our* responsibility.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 02 Jan 2012, 23:17:39

Eisenhower's speech is not about a "they". Its about us, you, me, himself; our ownership of what we chose to create. "THEY" don't do anything without our desire and consent; they obey it with complete dispassion. The consequences are *our* responsibility.

Quite right Agent, quite right.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 02:07:26

US out of Afganistan!

A US unmanned drone and hellfire missiles.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 02:59:14

AgentR11 wrote:What I dislike about the Eisenhower speech is that it has given an "out" to Americans, unintentional as that might have been. It is no longer *us* committing these various horrors, but some distant, abstract, un-person, that we name "military-industrial complex". We want oil, it gets us oil, and does horrible things in the process; we see the horrible thing, and we do not say, "I did that.", but rather, "they did that, and they should be held to account."

Resolve to yourselves, next time you turn the key to the ignition in your car or truck, "I did that.".
Own it.

Similar to how Americans don't want to see animals slaughtered or do it themselves, but they have no problem reaping the rewards by going to a store to buy that meat under the cellophane.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 03:38:42

JohnRM wrote:Image

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/21/us/texas- ... ?hpt=hp_c1

Take a good look. Shakira is a four year old little girl from Pakistan that suffered this damage to her face after a US drone strike. I am posting this, because when I first saw it, it crushed me. I plan to copy this and post it to every forum I use and to make hard copies to pass around in my area. I want everybody to see what we're doing to people over there. Americans are paying for it and they need to see what they're getting for their money. They need to have this image right in their face. I want it to haunt them in their sleep. This little girl isn't the only one. We've done this to millions, over the years. We the People are responsible for this.

Who is going to respond and justify this? Who is brave enough?

For the rest of you, why isn't this stuff front-page? Why are we not angry about this? Do we, as Americans, not care?

John, you do realize that everything that you do brings suffering and death? Or no?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 03:40:20

Pretorian wrote:John, you do realize that everything that you do brings suffering and death? Or no?

A bug died on my windshield today.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 03:44:08

rangerone314 wrote:
Pretorian wrote:John, you do realize that everything that you do brings suffering and death? Or no?

Amongst many other things I'm sure, not counting those that WILL suffer and die as a result of that trip.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 03:48:43

Pretorian wrote:
rangerone314 wrote:

Amongst many other things I'm sure, not counting those that WILL suffer and die as a result of that trip.

I'm not THAT bad a driver. You must be mistaking me for my wife.

rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 04:04:05

rangerone314 wrote:Similar to how Americans don't want to see animals slaughtered or do it themselves, but they have no problem reaping the rewards by going to a store to buy that meat under the cellophane.

Meat comes from animals, I thought the grocery store made it? :shock:

I think everyone should kill their own meat at least once. It gives you respect for your food.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby rangerone314 » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 04:06:12

careinke wrote:
rangerone314 wrote:Similar to how Americans don't want to see animals slaughtered or do it themselves, but they have no problem reaping the rewards by going to a store to buy that meat under the cellophane.

I think everyone should kill their own meat at least once. It gives you respect for your food.
I have 17 chickens... used to have 23.

rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 04:25:12

careinke wrote:

And while killing, I suggest using bare hands and teeth as a weapon. For women and elderly, if poultry is the only option in this case, birds should be dressed with bare hands/teeth also.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 09:28:57

careinke wrote:

I make lots and lots of brownie points with my Lefty Loonie friends when I suggest that we require people to obtain a carnivore's license by slaughtering and dressing and then eating an animal. (They have taking to whispering behind my back that maybe I'm a conservative.)

Just because, as you point out, they have no respect for the meat they eat. All plastic wrapped and pre-chopped. Most of it tastes pre-digested.

Vegetarians are a bit more difficult argument.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 03 Jan 2012, 10:42:45

Newfie wrote:I make lots and lots of brownie points with my Lefty Loonie friends when I suggest that we require people to obtain a carnivore's license by slaughtering and dressing and then eating an animal. (They have taking to whispering behind my back that maybe I'm a conservative.)

Hmmm, could go two ways though, either some pass on the license and the cost of my meat goes down; or... most do get the license, and in the process realize how very naturally suited we are for the task, overcoming any latent resistance to eating animals, increasing demand, and the price I have to pay for my beef!!

Some of my earliest childhood memories are of various kill/dress/eat events (fish and ducks mostly...) Great times.

Vegetarians are a bit more difficult argument.

Vegetarians are delicious.
Mooooooooooooo.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics