Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

2012 Bizarre / Apocalyptic behaviour

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

2012 Bizarre / Apocalyptic behaviour

Unread postby eXpat » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 09:10:34

With all the 2012 hype, I think we will see plenty of that this year.
Here is one:
Lucknow Residents Scared Sleep Will Turn Them to Stone
There are plenty of reasons why we sometimes struggle to sleep, but being scared of turning into stone overnight is rarely one of them. That fear, however, kept dozens of people awake in Lucknow and other parts of India’s most populous state this week.
It all started with a message late Monday, claiming that anyone who slept that night would turn into stone. Word spread across the state of Uttar Pradesh through cellphone messages, phone calls, and eventually even local television flashed it.

In Tundla, a small town near Agra, 18-year-old Rachna and her family of eight were woken by a neighbor at 3 am. The neighbor had received a call from someone in Kanpur saying that several people who were sleeping had turned into stone. Other people got such calls from state capital Lucknow and elsewhere, Rachna told India Real Time on Wednesday.

This news, twinned with doomsday predictions of the world ending in 2012, was enough to scare everyone, said Rachna. She and her family, including two children, joined the rest of their colony to sit out in the cold, apparently unaware of the irony that sitting in freezing temperatures was the most likely way for them to end up in frozen, stone-like form.

Rachna said her family remained outside for just a quarter of an hour before returning home, where they stayed awake till 6 am.

In Lucknow, people patrolled the streets chanting slogans in a bid to stay awake, according to a report from The Pioneer newspaper, which added that even those from well-educated communities were panicking.

The rumor began in the state’s Unnao District and quickly spread to other areas including Varanasi, Rae Bareilly and Kanpur, according to a police spokesman.

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2012/01/04/lucknow-residents-scared-sleep-will-turn-them-to-stone/
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: 2012 Bizarre / Apocalyptic behaviour

Unread postby davep » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:01:01

At a societal level, this is definitely a sign of the apocalypse:

Britain and US to scale down military capability due to debt crisis

...With Panetta expected to announce sweeping cuts in his defence budget, Hammond will point to similarities in the US and UK economic situations, according to officials. "Without strong economies and stable public finances it is impossible to build and sustain, in the long-term, the military capability required to project power and maintain defence," he is expected to tell the Atlantic Council thinktank...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jan/05/us-and-uk-to-scale-back-military

Or just another scaremonger after more budget.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:42:44

Strange request for proposal for contract to "Dump Bodies"

Register to receive solicitations from Arlington County (like I did last week) and you'll be directed to a massive list of some 700 categories, from aluminum sulfate and architects to land planning, refugee services, van rental and well drilling.

Under “D” is one chilling category: “Dump Bodies.” Diana Sun, Arlington spokeswoman, said “Dump Bodies” falls under disaster recovery. “It is literally to do with helping handling corpses.”
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sat 07 Jan 2012, 21:08:23

I'd really like to see the applications they get.
dinopello wrote:Strange request for proposal for contract to "Dump Bodies"

Register to receive solicitations from Arlington County (like I did last week) and you'll be directed to a massive list of some 700 categories, from aluminum sulfate and architects to land planning, refugee services, van rental and well drilling.

Under “D” is one chilling category: “Dump Bodies.” Diana Sun, Arlington spokeswoman, said “Dump Bodies” falls under disaster recovery. “It is literally to do with helping handling corpses.”

But those other stories were the basic "mass hysteria" stuff like child stealing and vanishing penis sorcery.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Sat 07 Jan 2012, 22:36:13

Pat Robertson: God 'Showed Me Next President'
Oh, and also, the country is going to 'disintegrate.' Happy New Year!

(Newser) – Pat Robertson is back with his latest batch of crazy. Tuesday on the 700 Club, Robertson revealed that in an intense prayer session with God, "I think He showed me about the next president, but I'm not supposed to talk about that so I'll leave you in the dark … but I think I know who it's gonna be." He went on to reveal the rest of God's message to him, which was very anti-Obama. "Your country will be torn apart by internal stress. A house divided cannot stand," said God, via Robertson. "Your president holds a radical view of the direction of your country which is at odds with the majority. Expect chaos and paralysis."

"This is a spiritual battle which can only be won by overwhelming prayer. The future of the world is at stake," God/Robertson continued. God also warned Robertson that "a time of maximum stress and peril" is coming, so Robertson, of course, gave God a multiple choice test. After learning that the crisis in question was not an EMP blast, nuclear threat, earthquake, or other similar disaster, Robertson learned that it is actually economic collapse. "And God said, and I quote, 'This is not my judgment, they are bringing it upon themselves.'"

http://www.newser.com/story/136888/pat-robertson-god-showed-me-next-president.html
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 07 Jan 2012, 23:11:17

About 15 years ago I came across a bunch of 'Ascensionists' from the UK, centered around a woman by the name of Sandy Stevenson and her prophesies of 2012 and the build up to this period. Her theory centers around the concept that what we all experience as we age/ time apparently speeding up/ is actually real on a metaphysical level. She has 'real time' disappearing in the sense that everything is simultaneously accelerating towards some merging of what she calls 'dimensions beyond the 5th'. Hence we all notice our lives seem to be speeding up, but that we are also always getting less done in our time; implying that there are aspects of our makeup which are restricted to 3 dimensional reality which is time limited whilst other aspects remain always current regardless of physical time. She says that as at about now, we experience 24 hours in what was 11 hours about 25 years ago. She aligns her ascension date with the Mayan calendar/s (she says there are 2 authentic ones ending several months apart this year).

I'm not exactly sure what she is on about, but many of her predictions about world events have transpired and her descriptions of the shifting nature of experiential time are eerily personal, like she is talking truth about something never mentioned.
In the main she seems to be getting at an idea about how we have thought about time and it's structure, is about to lose all meaning/ to be replaced by something completely different. Rational left brain dominated time/ reality is going to be suplanted by right brain intuitive dominated experience of both.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby bratticus » Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:10:55

eXpat wrote:With all the 2012 hype, I think we will see plenty of that this year.
Here is one:

SLEEP PARALYSIS
Dr. William C. Dement / January 26, 1999

What is sleep paralysis?

Sleep paralysis consists of a period of inability to perform voluntary movements either at sleep onset (called hypnogogic or predormital form) or upon awakening (called hypnopompic or postdormtal form). ...
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:33:16

The federal government suspends the Bill of Rights.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:35:59

bratticus wrote:
eXpat wrote:With all the 2012 hype, I think we will see plenty of that this year.
Here is one:

SLEEP PARALYSIS
Dr. William C. Dement / January 26, 1999

What is sleep paralysis?

Sleep paralysis consists of a period of inability to perform voluntary movements either at sleep onset (called hypnogogic or predormital form) or upon awakening (called hypnopompic or postdormtal form). ...

Aye, sleep paralysis is the cause of "paranormal phenomena" such as the old hag or UFO abductions.
George Bernard Shaw

eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 08 Jan 2012, 13:39:33

I saw this bizarre documentary about people who take the rumored 2012 end of the world seriously and who are building doomsday bunkers to prepare for the end. Wierd, bizarre stuff like planet size asteroids altering the orbital path or revolution of the Earth so as to cause havoc- with a interview with a NASA scientist saying he doesn't even want to concern himself with dimissing all these 'bunk' claims. The NASA scientist, Dr. Morrison, says he has to field calls from people threatning murder/ suicides because of the alleged impending calamities.

Link to the documentary: http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/Doc_Zon ... 1678468442

(Unfortunatly, the documentary has imbedded commerials in it that you have to sit through to see the film)

It disturbs me that people are so concerned with imaginary threats of immediate collsions of the Earth with planet size Asteroids, solar flares killing people without shelter, ect, ect, that they are ignorant of real threats like Cid's assertion about catastropic methane release that go unmentioned and undiscussed! That peak oil is still debunked and ignored while people focus on survival in underground caves for 4 years and such. Its tragic and absurd at the same time.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion