Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why organic is better

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Why organic is better

Unread postby vampyregirl » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 16:04:56

www.eatwild.com Jo Robinson, investigative journalist and author of Pasture Perfect shows why natural grass fed beef is healthier than feedlot cattle. Studies have shown that grass fattened cattle have higher levels of Omega3 which is healthy for your heart and also higher levels of Conjugated Linolic Acid which is an anti cancer agent.
It makes sense since cattle were programed by nature to eat grass not grains and pasture raised cattle are not raised in the deplorable conditions of the feedlots where cattle are kept standing in crowded conditions living in their own waste and fed an unatural diet. She documents the health risk of the factory feedlots.
I try to buy organic but there only seems to be so much of it to go around. We need massive grasslots so to speak.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Re: Why organic is better

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 17:49:24

I think that's why they tear down the Amazon??
............maybe eat less beef ???
Most Australian beef is grass fed,not having snow covered grass in winter and lots of land and few people helps.
Has heaps more flavour than grain fed too, but you have to chew more.
We probably should be eating more kangaroos and emus instead, less environmental impact and naturally free range and organic.

Similar studies on organic free range chicken an Omega 3 are true
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby fonzcad3 » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 03:18:09

I find it ironic when the Australians get all self-righteous about environment destruction, when Australia is one of the most environmentally degraded continents on earth.
fonzcad3
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Fiddlerdave » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 04:31:39

Yes,, when I want good beef, I head across into Tijuana. The grain fed meat of teh USA is just dull and tasteless to me, the grass fattened cattle more common in Mexico are much tastier and satisfying.

The mainstream ignorance and deliberate denial of the vastly improved micro-nutrients and secondary nutrients in organic foods is also sad.
Fiddlerdave
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 05:29:48

Perhaps if the USA had a population of 20,000,000 or so like we do we would be a lot more similar. I agree though, we are quite an hypocritical nation in many respects, but that is another issue. Why don't you start a thread, "What's wrong with Aussie's attitudes?" or "Is Australia the most arrogant small nation on earth?" What about "How did a bunch of bloody convicts end up owning a continent?"
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 08:27:49

fonzcad3 wrote:I find it ironic when the Australians get all self-righteous about environment destruction, when Australia is one of the most environmentally degraded continents on earth.

lol just stating the facts
I think Australians are the biggest polluters per head on the planet and thats not counting the pollution caused by the coal we sell to China
Australian's an average output of 20.58 tonnes of C02 per person per year, compared to 19.78 tonnes in the USA.
You dont get grass lands to feed the cattle and sheep by letting a few trees stand in the way building dams and lots of grass certainly increased the Roo supply though.
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 09:11:56

By the 1990's we had cut down 98.5% of our old growth rainforest and 80% of our eucalypt forest.

Not satisfied with that, we have since quadrupled our ex- mallee scub, with about 80% of that now gone.
Over 70% of our massive brigalow forest has been wiped out.

We have allowed cane toads to march across the entire tropical savannah, destroying virtually every small carniverous animal in the process, monitors, snakes, and marsupials.

We dump 95% of our sewage (partially treated) into the ocean, then go ballistic at Japan about whaling.
Every major river south of the Daintree rainforest has very serious degradation issues, weeds, fish die offs, algal blooms.

We continuously smash native species on the land to replace them with cattle and sheep despite the absolute superiority of our natives in terms of sustainable agriculture, conversion rates and healthiness of the product.

Our northern farmers destroy the Great Barrier Reef a little more each year with virtual impunity, allowing millions of tons of fertilizer to run out to the reef every wet season.

We treat the few thousand people a year who come by boat in an emergency situation like hard core criminals, while any English/ Irish/ NW European, under the age of 30 has the red carpet rolled out for them.

We have the worst, most 3rd world like conditions, for indigenous people when compared to any similar country. Health, incarceration, violence and crime in general are worse in these communities than virtually anywhere else on the planet outside a war zone.

We have never seen a prosecution of a single politician for crimes against the environment, nor will we ever likely.

We put on the facade of a 'green' nation to sell our stuff, especially food.

Back to the OP. Please, if you really care about the environment in Austalia DON"T EAT BEEF!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 10:00:15

vision-master

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 18:02:14

There's an organic beef farmer doing the high rotation stuff near here.
Basically lots of small paddocks
You put the beef in a paddock for a short time
They eat and shit then you move them to the next paddock.
a few days later as the maggots are hatching in the fresh pats you put the chickens in the paddock.
They eat the maggots and kick the pats around.
Then you let the pigs in to dig it all in.
Then let the grass grow ready for the next rotation.
Rinse and repeat.
It takes a bit more coordination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managed_in ... al_grazing
Productivity is high and you don't have pest problems
In the sub tropics Guinea Fowl can also be another part of organic beef production for pest control and added value free range meat. They don't need housing and don't dig a lot and love bugs.
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Wed 11 Jan 2012, 19:50:18

Shaved Monkey wrote:There's an organic beef farmer doing the high rotation stuff near here.
Basically lots of small paddocks
You put the beef in a paddock for a short time
They eat and shit then you move them to the next paddock.
a few days later as the maggots are hatching in the fresh pats you put the chickens in the paddock.
They eat the maggots and kick the pats around.
Then you let the pigs in to dig it all in.
Then let the grass grow ready for the next rotation.
Rinse and repeat.
It takes a bit more coordination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managed_in ... al_grazing
Productivity is high and you don't have pest problems
In the sub tropics Guinea Fowl can also be another part of organic beef production for pest control and added value free range meat. They don't need housing and don't dig a lot and love bugs.

This is exactly how Joel Salitan works his farm, except he also incorporates wood lands on his Polyface Farm.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:21:05

SeaGypsy wrote:Perhaps if the USA had a population of 20,000,000 or so like we do we would be a lot more similar. I agree though, we are quite an hypocritical nation in many respects, but that is another issue. Why don't you start a thread, "What's wrong with Aussie's attitudes?" or "Is Australia the most arrogant small nation on earth?" What about "How did a bunch of bloody convicts end up owning a continent?"

hehe, I got a chuckle SG. When I think of all the foreign nations who own most of our agricultural land now...I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. Australia for sale.

The beef is ok though, I have to help the in-laws drench sheep on the weekend. Too bloody hot for it but heh, thats Oz.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:25:57

Most is true.

We dump 95% of our sewage (partially treated) into the ocean, then go ballistic at Japan about whaling.

Hey SG don't mix up Aussi wankers with total vandal pricks like the Japanese whaling mafia. I am a tree hugging hippie and hate what our corps do too. But the Japanese bastards are in a league of their own.

We need to stop growing our population for starters. What is with that? I didn't vote for it. And I agree with SG - stop the planes not the boats.
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 12 Jan 2012, 19:28:46

Starting to go way off topic, perhaps this should be in the Oz/NZ forum?
I hate what Japan does in this part of the world.

The methodology described is really heading in the right direction, but will never be rolled out in a major way over Australia's massive grazing lands, no chance at all.

Unless you want to see a lot more full planes coming in and empty ones going out. Really good agriculture is much more labour intensive.

Our population uses about 6 times the resources of the average SE Asian per capita. Population is an issue, but consumption per capita is a bigger one.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Open Topic Discussion