Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

God is on the side of Tebow and the far Right

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

God is on the side of Tebow and the far Right

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 14 Jan 2012, 23:29:15

How's that working out for you? :lol:

Looks like one down, one to go.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: God is on the side of Tebow and the far Right

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 14 Jan 2012, 23:58:09

Is Tebow a new type of steak? I keep seeing this name pop up....
Sounds like T-Bone... Which makes me hungry.

Or is it like ElBow? As in Tennis Elbow?

J/K but,
I really don't get watching American football.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 00:09:17

Tebow is an Evangelical quarterback with a habit of taking a knee and praying while on the football field.

The Far Right Pundits were all swearing that God was on the side of Tebow and the far Right, and that tonight's playoff game would demonstrate it to the world.

Current score NE 45 / Denver(Tebow's team) 10

Living in Texas and not a football fan? Don't tell anyone, they'll burn you at the stake at a Pep Rally.
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Sun 15 Jan 2012, 00:16:19, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 00:13:58

ewwwwwww
Last I checked, God didn't much care for being tested like that.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 00:16:43

Cid_Yama wrote:The Far Right Pundits were all swearing that God was on the side of Tebow ...

The only person I've seen who is stupid enough to suggest "God is on the side of Tebow" is you. :lol:

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 00:22:04

Funny how when something goes well (i.e someone recovers from a disease contrary to doctors' opinions) then "It's a Miracle". But when a tragedy occurs (someone dies of aggressive cancer at an early age) that's "God's will", and it's "not for us to question".

Kind of selective and self-serving thinking, dontcha think?

Religion is by far not the only place we see emotional behavior causing all kinds of problems, but it drives me crazy, as religion's purpose is supposedly to HELP people.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 01:20:53

Back when Ludi was still posting on here, I reponded to her thread with an awesome qoute from another message board. I'll repost it here and highlight the point that matches this thread.

I think it comes down to America's continued reliance on the most childish sects of Christianity. If you watch Americans talk about religion you would have to come to the conclusion that God or Jesus was some sort of bizarre combination of Santa Claus and the bogeyman. Jesus apparently died so that he could intervene in the outcome of high school football games, monday morning staff meetings at car dealerships and act as an all purpose medical service and digestive aid. Meanwhile, God who managed to make a universe several billion light years across, has nothing better to do than torture liberals, criminals and gay people for all eternity.
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby gollum » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 04:52:28

As a Sunday catholic I think things like the Tebow fad cheapen spiritual belief. I put a fundementalist relative on the spot some weeks ago when I asked her why god would intervene in a football game and not in the lives of kids with cancer. I don't follow football but was glad to see the broncos take a beating tonight.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 08:32:50

My understanding is that if his prayer was sincere, God may well have been right there with Tebow, right up 'til he stood up again.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 09:32:05

What is it that gives us such pleasure when we see people with faith crash and burn? Is it that we can then reach around and pat ourselves on the back and congratulate ourselves on being superior? Faith may be a self delusion but it offers hope where there is none and causes people to press on when by all reason they should sit down in the dirt a be devoured. Such perseverance has been rewarded enough times in the past to make faith a survival instinct.
I suspect it is hard wired in the species.

Laugh on but when your love one is being eaten alive by cancer, there is little else to comfort them with.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 09:48:06

Well said and too true Cloudy. I did a bunch of palliative care work after my dad passed and it is extremely rare for an atheist to hold out to death.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby eXpat » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 10:15:59

Oneaboveall wrote:Back when Ludi was still posting on here, I reponded to her thread with an awesome qoute from another message board. I'll repost it here and highlight the point that matches this thread.

I think it comes down to America's continued reliance on the most childish sects of Christianity. If you watch Americans talk about religion you would have to come to the conclusion that God or Jesus was some sort of bizarre combination of Santa Claus and the bogeyman. Jesus apparently died so that he could intervene in the outcome of high school football games, monday morning staff meetings at car dealerships and act as an all purpose medical service and digestive aid. Meanwhile, God who managed to make a universe several billion light years across, has nothing better to do than torture liberals, criminals and gay people for all eternity.

Religion and political power, where did i see that before??? :evil:

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 10:28:32

Well, that's an easy write off. The assumption here is that people who believe in God can not compromise. You might want to reconsider a decison not to compromise with the majority. http://coffeestainednews.wordpress.com/ ... the-devil/
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 10:29:40

LOL
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 11:03:09

Somethings

One

Shall Never Know...... [our origins]

vm

Our creators know not their origins either. :|
vision-master

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 11:31:43

In Texas, both football teams pray to God before a game, but somehow one side still loses.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 12:35:38

PrestonSturges wrote:In Texas, both football teams pray to God before a game, but somehow one side still loses.

Its not just in Texas. Its very common for athletes to pray before competitions all across the US, and in other parts of the US as well. Their supporters often pray too.

The prayers are of dubious effectiveness.

Women in Tehran praying for Tim Tebow
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eXpat » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 12:56:44

LOOOOL, meet your new/future Congressman
Tim Tebow Invited By Rep. Sal Pace To Give Daily Prayer At Colorado Capitol
DENVER -- Can Tim Tebow's blessing inspire Colorado lawmakers? One state representative thinks so.

Democratic Rep. Sal Pace sent a letter Friday to the Broncos quarterback inviting him to lead the House in the daily morning prayer before lawmakers start work. Pace said in the letter that Tebow is an excellent choice to "give Colorado's elected officials guidance as we take on the important task of leading Colorado."

"You have inspired Colorado. You have inspired America!" Pace wrote. "Throughout your career you have consistently proven the naysayers wrong."

The morning prayer at the Capitol's House and Senate is led every day by different people of all faiths.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/13/tim-tebow-capitol-prayer_n_1205418.html
Forget sports pal, your new career is politics!
George Bernard Shaw

eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 13:04:56

Nothing wrong with prayer, as long as the one offering prayer is content that the answer may be "no". Its when people test God with prayer, that's a problem. I prayed for X, and you didn't give me X! WAH! That's just wrong.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Sun 15 Jan 2012, 13:20:28

God asks Aaron Rodgers: "What do you believe?" Rodgers says, "I believe in hard work, and in staying true to family and friends.” God can't help but see the goodness of Rodgers and offers him a seat to his left.

Then God turns to Tim Tebow and says, "What do you believe?" Tebow says, "I believe in your total goodness, love and generosity and that you have given all to mankind.” God is greatly moved by Tebow’s eloquence, and offers him a seat to his right.

Finally, God turns to Tom Brady: "And you, Tom, what do you believe?" Tom replies, "I believe you're in my seat."
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion