Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak oil,Peak salaries

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Peak oil,Peak salaries

Unread postby thisisit » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 07:11:06

So I went for a job yesterday, while contemplating the desolation of the workplace I was listening to the old walls of the surounding while the manager was talking to her self at my face...Poor salary offer was standing on the desk...I thought to my self wouldnt it be great if salaries move with the price of oil on a daily basis...that should stabilize things...
And what if I ask 20% more for the base and twice the commission they offer...will the price of oil automaticly increase if they accept....since I want higher oil prices should I stick to my demand or make a donation to humanity and accept the low wage they offer....
thisisit
Wood
Wood

Re: Peak oil,Peak salaries

Unread postby MD » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 07:13:21

Change industries then, if you can. If yours has thin margins and is exposed to high energy costs (and many market segments are, these days), then switch industries.

Energy maybe?

:roll:
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Cloud9 » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 07:45:36

I have taken a 20 percent cut over the last six years. This is a sign of the times.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby davep » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 08:08:30

I've had a monthly decrease of 3k euros since moving from Germany to Switzerland, but it's more a lifestyle choice than anything else. Switzerland is doing pretty well in my sector (and I could easily change jobs if I wanted to).

That's not a boast, btw. I would recommend Switzerland as a good place during the transition while having a doomstead nearby.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby thisisit » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 09:44:09

davep wrote:I've had a monthly decrease of 3k euros since moving from Germany to Switzerland, but it's more a lifestyle choice than anything else. Switzerland is doing pretty well in my sector (and I could easily change jobs if I wanted to).

That's not a boast, btw. I would recommend Switzerland as a good place during the transition while having a doomstead nearby.

"La gloire de l'homme sera un Dieu vivant" Marc
thisisit
Wood
Wood

Unread postby dsula » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 09:54:15

davep wrote: I would recommend Switzerland as a good place during the transition while having a doomstead nearby.

1. Switzerland is hopelessly overpopulated. With 1/2 the population, all energy imports cutoff during WW2 Switzerland barely made it through without starving. Switzerland is small and half of it is uninhabitable mountains and like everywhere else, the best and flat land is built over. Are you sure you you've seen Switzerland? Where's your doomstead? In the neighbours 10m^2 backyard?
2. Switzerland reeks of money. If there's such a thing as too much money, you will find right there in Switzerland, in the canton of Zug actually, where taxes are so low that it attracts all the big companies and associated hot shot foreign executives that go with it.
3. So many Germans have been immigrating to Switzerland that german is now heard everywhere (and my beloved Swiss German is pushed back)
4. So many Turks, Jugos, Albaniens, Russians, arabs, chineese & others moved to switzerland, that unfortunately, Switzeralnd hardly exists anymore. It's some weird freak show now, but Switzerland it is not anymore.
5. Perfection is pushed to such extreme that it sucks out all of life's fun. Yes, if a bus or train is 30 sec late in Switerland it is considered an unacceptable catastrophy.

For reasons like this I ditched it, moved to a 100 acre rural (and poor) place in the US and can breath freely.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MD » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:46:01

Peak salaries will occur in energy and efficiency technologies. It's up to you to pick geographic locations.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby thisisit » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:59:51

MD wrote:Peak salaries will occur in energy and efficiency technologies. It's up to you to pick geographic locations.

I'm gonna try to make my self clear by using as less figures of speach as possible...Why jobs are where they are in US...expensive oil...taking the weakest players out of the system (unemplyed)...China and India save the day because they work for nothing making the oil price sustainable for the production they do...the miscumception in the economy comes from the thinking that China and India provide the breather in front of expensive oil with cheap labour...but the real point is that USA have to become more productive to obset oil price affecting the foundation of the social stability which is providibg work to its citizen. If USA fails at finding the solution to deal with high oil price which is the solution for job growth China and India are only borrowing time on the time USA is buying.
thisisit
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Lore » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:09:58

davep wrote:I've had a monthly decrease of 3k euros since moving from Germany to Switzerland, but it's more a lifestyle choice than anything else. Switzerland is doing pretty well in my sector (and I could easily change jobs if I wanted to).

So are you on a work visa in Switzerland? I understand that it's nearly impossible to immigrate there.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dsula » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:19:08

Lore wrote:

So are you on a work visa in Switzerland? I understand that it's nearly impossible to immigrate there.

Haha. That's a good one. Go and see, go and see and tell me if there are any Swiss left.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lore » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:40:11

dsula wrote:
Lore wrote:

Haha. That's a good one. Go and see, go and see and tell me if there are any Swiss left.

I've been there many times. I use to work for a Swiss company just outside Zurich.

I would like to work in Switzerland. What do I have to take into consideration?

Being able to work in Switzerland is subject to the principle "You can't take up a job unless you have a permit!" For you to be granted a permit, the following conditions must be satisfied during the transitional period:

National priority: the employer must provide evidence that he/she has not found another employee (i.e. a Swiss national or a foreign employee who is already integrated into the Swiss labour market) to fill this vacancy.

Check on pay and working conditions: for the protection of employees, these conditions will be checked when a permit is granted; they must be in line with the practice prevailing both locally and in the industry.

Do I first have to find a job in Switzerland, or can I immigrate before? In other words: do I need an affirmation from the immigration authorities?

EU/EFTA nationals may enter Switzerland for job-hunting purposes.
No permit is required for a period of up to three months. If they have not found a job after this time, a short-term residence permit (L permit) will be granted for another three months' job-hunting.

For non EU nationals, an affirmation from the immigration authorities required before to move to Switzerland.

----------------------

I am an old-age pensioner. Will I be granted a residence permit?

To be able to obtain a permit, you will have to provide evidence that you possess sufficient financial means and that you have taken out adequate accident and health insurance policies. "Sufficient financial means" means that you will not have to rely on government social security benefits.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dsula » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:08:08

Lore wrote:EU/EFTA nationals may enter Switzerland for job-hunting purposes.
No permit is required for a period of up to three months. If they have not found a job after this time, a short-term residence permit (L permit) will be granted for another three months' job-hunting.

There you have it. A nation of 5 M Swiss + 2M foreigners surrounded by 500M europeans who don't need a permit. On top of that all the refugees who threw away their passport so they can't be deported + all the refugees in asylum processing + all the refugees accepted + all the refugees fighting it out in court + all the illegals from all over the world. That's why there's not much left of Switzerland.
What's the ratio of foreigenrs you need to loose your identity?

dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lore » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:27:01

dsula wrote:
Lore wrote:EU/EFTA nationals may enter Switzerland for job-hunting purposes.

There you have it. A nation of 5 M Swiss + 2M foreigners surrounded by 500M europeans who don't need a permit. On top of that all the refugees who threw away their passport so they can't be deported + all the refugees in asylum processing + all the refugees accepted + all the refugees fighting it out in court + all the illegals from all over the world. That's why there's not much left of Switzerland.
What's the ratio of foreigenrs you need to loose your identity?

Beautiful... sounds just like the good ole USA!
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GoIllini » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:39:54

My dividends have (internally) gone up 10% in the past year. Factor in my additional purchases of dividend stock and they're up much more. It's a tough year for finance, but I'm still up over the past 5 years.

The key to being happy and content is living well within your means and saving, saving, saving.

It's possible we will have WWIII between India and China or China and Russia. As long as the US and Europe stay out of it, things will get better after that. Just like they did after WWII.
GoIllini
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby thisisit » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 12:56:13

GoIllini wrote:My dividends have (internally) gone up 10% in the past year. Factor in my additional purchases of dividend stock and they're up much more. It's a tough year for finance, but I'm still up over the past 5 years.

The key to being happy and content is living well within your means and saving, saving, saving.

It's possible we will have WWIII between India and China or China and Russia. As long as the US and Europe stay out of it, things will get better after that. Just like they did after WWII.

...As long as USA have the smart guy to make that war happen....
thisisit
Wood
Wood

Unread postby GoIllini » Tue 24 Jan 2012, 13:07:20

Well, don't look to the US to start it. A war is not in the interests of the powers that be over here. One, it's going to dramatically raise wages. Two, it's going to destroy infrastructure and capital. Three, it means taxes are going up. Of course, it's also going to kill a lot of people.

When Chinese workers can't afford to eat off of the wages they're earning, that's what will spark something. Either we'll see something similar to Egypt or Tunisia or we'll see a war between China and one of its neighbors. My hunch is honestly on a revolt. The CCCP may be totalitarian, but they're not crazy. They do not want to get into a nuclear war with Russia or India, and getting forced out of the country is preferable to having your family blasted into the Sea of Japan.

But it's still a possibility they'll do things differently. The US just needs to stay out of it and maintain a strong navy that's not too occupied by the goings-on in the middle-east.
GoIllini
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby davep » Wed 25 Jan 2012, 04:25:14

Switzerland is hopelessly overpopulated. With 1/2 the population, all energy imports cutoff during WW2 Switzerland barely made it through without starving. Switzerland is small and half of it is uninhabitable mountains and like everywhere else, the best and flat land is built over. Are you sure you you've seen Switzerland? Where's your doomstead? In the neighbours 10m^2 backyard?

My doomstead is in France, about 100 miles from Lake Geneva. Where I live there's about 10 acres per person. And it's flat. So, as I originally stated, it's good to be close to Switzerland and use the relative economic prosperity to your advantage, but to live elsewhere. I certainly wouldn't be buying in Switzerland right now, as there is still a housing bubble.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Thu 26 Jan 2012, 08:20:51

thisisit wrote:So I went for a job yesterday, while contemplating the desolation of the workplace I was listening to the old walls of the surounding while the manager was talking to her self at my face...Poor salary offer was standing on the desk...I thought to my self wouldnt it be great if salaries move with the price of oil on a daily basis...that should stabilize things...
And what if I ask 20% more for the base and twice the commission they offer...will the price of oil automaticly increase if they accept....since I want higher oil prices should I stick to my demand or make a donation to humanity and accept the low wage they offer....

If what you wrote is an indication of your complete lack of mastery of the English language is it any wonder no one is employing you?

Meanwhile my fabulous new blog: China Coal News is up and running now!
babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:26:31

Lore wrote:Beautiful... sounds just like the good ole USA!

Yeah, but its been a good three hundred years or so since we overwhelmed the native population here. They didn't even see it coming... till it was too late.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Kristen » Thu 26 Jan 2012, 20:44:36

Well considering Morgan Stanley instilled a 150 thousand dollar pay cap how can I feel bad making minimum wage being a bartender? At least it's job security, when the economy is up people drink and when it is down they also drink.
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion