Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Sentiment

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Peak Sentiment

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Mon 13 Feb 2012, 15:06:47

I didn't know really where to post this so if inappropriate for this area, mods please move accordingly.

As I was reading a new article in Yahoo Finance called "Peak Everything -- Why Everything Costs More" (originally from Bloomberg) and I couldn't help but notice the comments to the article.

Sorted by "Popular Now" the majority of thumbs up goes to comments that reflect ignorance and attacks to the author and government. What I find fascinating is that human sentiment and feelings seem to trump evidence, which is nothing new in light of human history but funny just the same. Just thought I would post this to make for some entertaining reading.
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Peak Sentiment

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 13 Feb 2012, 16:49:08

We are far far far from being at peak sentiment over peak oil or anything else in the USA.

Now Greece....Greece is approaching peak sentiment over the austerity demanded by the EU. And Syria is getting close to peak sentiment over Assad.

But here in the US and through most of the developed world, peak oil and resource limits to growth are just a blip of something seemingly very distant faintly seen on the radar screen and certainly nothing to get very worked up over.....

Greeks approaching "peak sentiment".
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Mon 13 Feb 2012, 18:58:41

One of the first sets of factoids that caught my attention around our general situation is the idea of easy pickins. It is only logical the easiest be consumed first and the hardest saved for last.

We can fluff the numbers, celebrate each incremental additional like it's the bomb, point at this and that including inflation (25% since 2000) but the fact remains the easy is always used first and the hard last. And the hard is the expensive.

The same can be said about accepting change I guess. At first it's easy to find convenient scapegoats and magic solutions, but it gets harder and harder as time goes by and the easy knee-jerk fantasies run their course.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 13 Feb 2012, 19:30:42

The waters will turn into foam by this summer.....

vision-master

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Wed 15 Feb 2012, 17:22:28

Plantagenet wrote:We are far far far from being at peak sentiment over peak oil or anything else in the USA.

Now Greece....Greece is approaching peak sentiment over the austerity demanded by the EU. And Syria is getting close to peak sentiment over Assad.

Sorry for the confusion, the title reflects sentiments towards Peak ideology/theory/fact, not a Peak in Sentiment.
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 15 Feb 2012, 17:32:09

vaseline2008 wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:We are far far far from being at peak sentiment over peak oil or anything else in the USA.

Sorry for the confusion, the title reflects sentiments towards Peak ideology/theory/fact, not a Peak in Sentiment.

Ahhhh. Thank you for clarifying, vaseline.

Check out Prof. Bardi's blog post on this topic---its very interesting.

Usually we think that the common, uneducated person is most likely to fail to grasp facts. The curious thing about peak oil is that nominally intelligent professional people in the government, at banks, and in industry seem to be equally incapable of abandoning their set views on ever-increasing economic growth and understanding the profound anti-growth nature of the peak oil problem.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Wed 15 Feb 2012, 18:40:04

pstarr wrote:Damn. An Obama-free plant-post. I might just take you off ignore--after all this time. :P

If you had him on ignore, how did you see his post?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 15 Feb 2012, 19:19:49

Probably didn't log in. Ignore only functions when logged in.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 15 Feb 2012, 19:54:35

SeaGypsy wrote:Probably didn't log in. Ignore only functions when logged in.

My computers (all MACs) automatically log me in so if I've got someone on ignore they are definitely ignored.
I guess thats another thing to thank Steve Jobs for.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Return to Open Topic Discussion