Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Feb.29th, leap year should be a holiday!

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Feb.29th, leap year should be a holiday!

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Wed 29 Feb 2012, 13:12:11

On one of those wierd days that we get every 4 years we get to ponder the subtle mystery of why an Earth year has an extra 6 hours each year.

In fact, we should all get a paid holiday every 29th of February to contemplate the mysteries of the universe.

I fellow at work, who is turning 48 this year, said that his dad is a Feb.29 birthday. So I get to ponder the fact that this 48 year old guy's dad is just turning 19. Go figure!

My boss was complaining this morning that the company's profit plan doesn't allow for the extra day this year, and we will be operating at a loss all day because this event was not budgeted for.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Feb.29th, leap year should be a holiday!

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 29 Feb 2012, 13:51:27

Repent wrote:My boss was complaining this morning that the company's profit plan doesn't allow for the extra day this year, and we will be operating at a loss all day because this event was not budgeted for.
Maybe Winterpeg will be closed down for a day by weather, so it will even out.

On the bright side, we get 3% increase in oil production over last Feb, all else being equal. :lol:
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby kpeavey » Wed 29 Feb 2012, 16:15:20

I would support moving leap year day to a summer month rather than February.
June 31 anyone?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Wed 29 Feb 2012, 16:29:43

kpeavey wrote:I would support moving leap year day to a summer month rather than February.
June 31 anyone?

Wow, what a great idea! It would be a lot nicer to have an extra day in the summer. I wonder why Feb was chosen? Probably because it is the shortest month. Or.....It's an evil plot by those Aussies. 8O
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 29 Feb 2012, 20:40:50

careinke wrote:
kpeavey wrote:I would support moving leap year day to a summer month rather than February.
June 31 anyone?

Wow, what a great idea! It would be a lot nicer to have an extra day in the summer. I wonder why Feb was chosen? Probably because it is the shortest month. Or.....It's an evil plot by those Aussies. 8O

February was originally 30 days like any normal even numbered month but then one day the Dictator Julius Caesar decided to rename the 7th month July in his own honor. He didn't want his month to be shorter than any of the others so he took a day of February and put it on July. His successor Caesar Augustus, Principe, did the same thing with the 8th month renaming it August in his own honor and making it 31 days by taking another day off of February.

February was chosen to give it back a little of its own every once in a while, from a certain point of view.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Open Topic Discussion