Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Quiet Streets

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Quiet Streets

Unread postby SolarDave » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 02:05:41

As I rode my eGo electric moped/trailer combo (recharged by my pedal generator, not the grid!) to Fresh&Easy to buy a weeks worth of food this evening, I noticed that the streets were eerily quiet. It was 8:00 PM Friday night and the traffic was extremely light. Shockingly light.

The world is changing right before our eyes.
100% of the electricity needed for this post was generated by ME.
http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen/green_virtual_gym.html
Posted from a Pedal Powered Computer
SolarDave
Coal
Coal

Re: Quiet Streets

Unread postby Cog » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 06:37:56

I'm still here so probably not.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 08:49:39

I was in 3 traffic jams in Orlando last weekend. We are not there yet.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ian807 » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 11:58:46

pstarr wrote:maybe they were raptured up?

Sigh. We can only hope.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby babystrangeloop » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 12:07:41

100% of the electricity needed for this post was generated by ME.
But what are you powered by?
babystrangeloop
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cog » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 12:21:01

Cheap and safe coal and nuclear power.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 13:17:36

8) Wife dragged us out to eat at the local Applebee's last night (Friday). Parking lot was full , Had to wait twenty minutes for a table and the service was slow. Could have eaten at home for less then the tip. Their economy seems to be well stimulated. 8O
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 13:46:51

Sometimes we have to pretend for the woman's sake that certain things are a good idea.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 16:16:19

Cog wrote:Sometimes we have to pretend for the woman's sake that certain things are a good idea.

Her contributions to family income will more then cover it so why would I say no. I like sleeping indoors. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby BasilBoy » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 16:40:51

vtsnowedin wrote:
Cog wrote:Sometimes we have to pretend for the woman's sake that certain things are a good idea.

Her contributions to family income will more then cover it so why would I say no. I like sleeping indoors. :)

In addition, women may have a special role to play to promote sustainability. Women need to be prepped to find "ecological men" of limited resource consumption really, really sexy. Unfortunately, sexual selection has designed women to tend to prefer "alpha males" -- high status, high consumption, high resource control men (in ancestral times, they helped women's children survive and thrive). Men are adapted to do their best to give women what they want, or face reproductive oblivion. One way that today's men have demonstrated their high status has been to drive big sport utility vehicles (SUVs). However, what if women's psychological adaptations were manipulated (with collective consent) such that they found the guy behind the wheel of an electric car, electric scooter, or, better yet, a bicycle, irresistible? And, what if women sexually rejected the guy driving a big, gas-guzzling SUV?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... pse?page=3
BasilBoy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 16:52:20

BasilBoy wrote:In addition, women may have a special role to play to promote sustainability. Women need to be prepped to find "ecological men" of limited resource consumption really, really sexy. Unfortunately, sexual selection has designed women to tend to prefer "alpha males" -- high status, high consumption, high resource control men (in ancestral times, they helped women's children survive and thrive). Men are adapted to do their best to give women what they want, or face reproductive oblivion. One way that today's men have demonstrated their high status has been to drive big sport utility vehicles (SUVs). However, what if women's psychological adaptations were manipulated (with collective consent) such that they found the guy behind the wheel of an electric car, electric scooter, or, better yet, a bicycle, irresistible? And, what if women sexually rejected the guy driving a big, gas-guzzling SUV?

8) I've only been married for thirty four years with just three grown daughters so know virtually nothing about what women think or feel , as I have been repeatedly told ,but I expect the guy on the bicycle will get beat out by the guy in the SUV as long as the SUV has gas in it. 8)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 23:40:00

BasilBoy wrote:However, what if women's psychological adaptations were manipulated (with collective consent) such that they found the guy behind the wheel of an electric car, electric scooter, or, better yet, a bicycle, irresistible? And, what if women sexually rejected the guy driving a big, gas-guzzling SUV?

What a bunch of rubbish. How does this psychologist propose manipulating all women to find boring bicycle riding cheapskates attractive? And what does "collective consent" even mean. "Ok all you women, collectively consent to find me attractive." :lol:

Natural selection doesn't work that way, the psychologist is talking intelligent design (eugenics). It's not necessary. Natural selection has worked fine up until now, it's a machine leave it alone it all shakes out for the best. Besides, in a low-resource world, women would be even more attracted to high-resource males.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 23:45:20

vtsnowedin wrote:8) Wife dragged us out to eat at the local Applebee's last night (Friday). Parking lot was full , Had to wait twenty minutes for a table and the service was slow. Could have eaten at home for less then the tip. Their economy seems to be well stimulated. 8O

I must concur. Things are busier than ever. Only difference are more homeless and panhandlers on the streets, but still the traffic is thick and heavy. Although that could be anecdotal to me, all the darn Canadians are down here right now. You can tell who they are by their Ontario plates.. yikes that's a long drive.. at these gas prices.. 8O
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby BasilBoy » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 23:51:42

Sixstrings wrote:
BasilBoy wrote:However, what if women's psychological adaptations were manipulated (with collective consent) such that they found the guy behind the wheel of an electric car, electric scooter, or, better yet, a bicycle, irresistible? And, what if women sexually rejected the guy driving a big, gas-guzzling SUV?

What a bunch of rubbish. How does this psychologist propose manipulating all women to find boring bicycle riding cheapskates attractive? And what does "collective consent" even mean. "Ok all you women, collectively consent to find me attractive." :lol:

Natural selection doesn't work that way, the psychologist is talking intelligent design (eugenics). It's not necessary. Natural selection has worked fine up until now, it's a machine leave it alone it all shakes out for the best. Besides, in a low-resource world, women would be even more attracted to high-resource males.

Natural selection will eventually weed out you and your kind...
BasilBoy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 00:54:01

BasilBoy wrote:Natural selection will eventually weed out you and your kind...

What are you mad at me for, the vegan thread?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this eco / food obsession is a first world phenomenon. Most of the world's billions of people would love to eat some meat if they could afford it. They also want cars and all the other polluting and high energy luxuries Westerners enjoy.

You could convince every European and North American to be a perfect bicycle-riding vegan, you could convince Western women to find that attractive, but you'll still have billions of people on the planet who don't give a damn about their carbon footprint. They just want the car. They don't feel guilty.

I'm just saying how it is, Chinese folks want cars and air condition and the biggest flat / house they can get and Kentucky Fried Chicken is popular over there too, they want all that stuff -- you think you can convince them to give it all up and go back to bikes and rice?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 02:33:54

Sixstrings wrote:

Obviously 6 hasn't read the news on new attitude thread. Delete 1st sentence and it complies. Besides which it is not rubbish at all. In a low resource world there will be far more pretty, intelligent, of age women than there will be dickheads driving bloody SUV's.

Sometimes (often)it appears you haven't a clue about peak oil.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Loki » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 20:40:37

I haven't noticed any significant decline in traffic on the state highway near where I live. But gas is already $4.05 in my area, and rising. Another 2008-like price spike seems more and more likely, which would almost certainly tip us back into recession. Living in interesting times is so....interesting.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Loki » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 20:42:35

BasilBoy, thanks for the Psychology Today link, hadn't heard of Michael Mills. He has a website with a good intro on peak oil, and apparently teaches about peak oil in his psych courses.

Six, what he's proposing has nothing to do with “eugenics” (I think that word does not mean what you think it means). He's just talking about a cultural change that would value low consumption lifestyles, theory being that men do what we do to get laid. If getting laid meant riding a bicycle and gardening instead of conspicuously consuming, more men would do it. Kind of simplistic, but not without some truth. Women have far more power than the helpless victim narrative modern feminism preaches. And we men do, far too often, think with our dicks.

That said, the documentary “Idiocracy” seems to have a firmer grasp of the trajectory of human evolution.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion