Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Five years here

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Five years here

Unread postby Loki » Wed 18 May 2011, 22:04:24

It occurred to me that I've been at PO.com for five years now. What a great bunch of posters over the years, Smallpoxgirl (where art thou?), Heineken, gg3, Pops, Ludi, Eastbay, Patience, Shanny, Blu, Thuja, Aaron, Blisteredwhippet, the list goes on and on (even Monte). What a motley assortment of highly intelligent, combative, compassionate, crazy, pragmatic doomers! I've learned so much from folks here.

One of the PO.com threads that stuck in my head over the years was an early discussion about post-collapse occupations here in the Planning Forum (seems to have been deleted or merged, can't find it). Farmer/horticulturist was what sung with me the most, been interested in that longer than I've known about peak oil. Having some idea of which direction to go helped immensely a few years ago when I got laid off from my academic job and didn't feel like doing any more academic hustling.

And now here I am in my fourth season of full-time horticultural work, been a real adventure. Not entirely motivated by “collapse concerns,” but they're always at the back of my mind---What Would Peak Oil Do? :) I really enjoy farming and other horticultural work, but a big added bonus is that I feel far more “prepared” for our uncertain future than I did five years ago.

What a ride it's been, and our journey has only just begun. Hee haw!
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Re: Five Years at PO.com

Unread postby truecougarblue » Wed 18 May 2011, 23:16:19

I've been around just about that long as well, and I'm grateful for what I've learned and the prep time I've had.
Cougar

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." - Brigham Young
truecougarblue
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby drgoodword » Wed 18 May 2011, 23:48:15

Great post, Loki! And it's always good to have an opportunity to thank the founders, mods and techies of PeakOil.com. You've built a great site that's host to a wealth of knowledge and a lively forum for discussion and debate on what is surely one of the most important issues of this century!
drgoodword

Unread postby thuja » Wed 18 May 2011, 23:52:50

Much much learned...love and kisses to all.

Wait...I mean...My perspective on Peak Oil Foom and Gloom is the only right perspective! All of the rest of you are deluded and fuzzy headed!!

Whew...almost got mushy...
No Soup for You!!
thuja
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 19 May 2011, 01:08:10

I've been here four years and one month. I've learned a heck of a lot here from EastBay, Six, Aaron, ferretlover, Monte, Loki, Lore and many others.

I came to this site after reading Matt Simmon's "Twilight in the Desert" and then meeting Prof. Ken Deffeyes when he spoke at the University of Alaska on peak oil. We had him up for a talk in Nov. 2005----and Deffeyes in his public lecture knocked me out when he asserted that the peak was happening even as he spoke.

Damn if he wasn't right, too! :idea:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Armageddon » Thu 19 May 2011, 08:02:10

I found this site 6 years ago after listening to Michael Ruppert on the Jeff Rense show. I was like peak oil ? wtf ? LATOC was good too.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 19 May 2011, 08:08:15

an this place might just survive for a few more years....

5 years of listening to you arseholes. :lol:
vision-master

Unread postby Pops » Thu 19 May 2011, 08:58:44

There were a few peak oil sites back in '02-'03-ish; Dieoff.org and hubbertpeak.com especially, Wolf at the Door, Counter Currents, LATOC. But there were only a couple of message boards dedicated specifically to peak oil that I ever found back then. I wanted to talk about po badly and I spammed those forums every day, but alas they fizzled. I found po.com a few weeks after Admin put it up and like with the others, I posted every day hoping it would take hold.

My Wife and I had decided to get outa Dodge in '03 (well, Central California anyway) because of the RE/Credit Bubble and were searching for a new location. I guess I was looking for some perspective on the eternal peak oil question of, How Soon, How Fast and How to Prepare.

I'm still looking! My stats are embarrassing - (1.03% of all posts / 3.64 posts per day)

Anyway, thanks to Admin for keeping the site up and all you Peakers for keeping me company!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Thu 19 May 2011, 09:24:48

It's been nearly 7 years for me and my wife (yes, she's here, mostly lurking but posting occasionally.)

We became peak oil aware in ’03 indirectly due to the invasion of Iraq and this knowledge accelerated plans that were already taking shape. We bought and moved to our farm in ’05 and we’ve been here ever since, making money as needed, adjusting our lifestyle and prepping, prepping, prepping.

We still need at least another year.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 19 May 2011, 09:37:00

The future never holds what you think it will today. :)
vision-master

Unread postby lowem » Thu 19 May 2011, 10:45:15

Just went to check, nearly 7 years, has it really been that long? Learned a lot. Been out for a while due to work and other commitments, plus a really historic watershed election over here in Singapore, and now I'm back :)
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby truecougarblue » Thu 19 May 2011, 11:05:21

Pops wrote:My stats are embarrassing

Not in the least, you should see mine.
Cougar

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." - Brigham Young
truecougarblue
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ritter » Thu 19 May 2011, 11:55:02

truecougarblue wrote:
Pops wrote:My stats are embarrassing

Not in the least, you should see mine.

No, this is embarrassing: 0.10 posts per day / 0.02% of all posts.

Been around a long while. I guess I read more than I contribute! I've learned a lot and am better prepared than when I found this place in 2005.

Say, what ever happened to DantesPeak? Him, smallpoxgirl and Heineken are some pretty big vacancies.
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Open Topic Discussion