Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Power Plays

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Power Plays

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 30 Mar 2012, 20:31:36

Energy Expert Robert Rapier Reflects on Energy Options in the Age of Peak Oil in his Latest Book

Apress's latest release Power Plays: Energy Options in the Age of Peak Oil by Robert Rapier reflects on the beliefs among people who are concerned about resource depletion and the debate on peak oil. These beliefs cover a wide span and include those who believe that a peak is imminent, followed by a catastrophic decline. Those who believe peak oil will inevitably lead to cleaner or for that matter, dirtier environments as we become more desperate for energy and turn to more oil sands and coal to replace declining oil supplies. So how has the energy driven expansion over the last 250 years changed the way we live? What kind of risks and tradeoffs has structural dependency on energy usage brought about? Most importantly, is there such a thing as a perfect energy policy?

There are three broad beliefs that influence Rapier's writing in Power Plays

We must transition away from fossil fuels with a sense of urgency, for reasons discussed in this book.

To achieve this transition, we need to develop systems and services with a much lower fossil fuel dependency. Rapier shows how to ensure adequate energy supplies during the transition.

During the transition process, we must take care of our air, water, and especially our top soil to preserve our ability to feed the population.

sfgate
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Power Plays

Unread postby RobertRapier » Wed 11 Apr 2012, 19:54:24

Apress's latest release Power Plays: Energy Options in the Age of Peak Oil by Robert Rapier reflects on the beliefs among people who are concerned about resource depletion and the debate on peak oil.

That sounds like a good one. :)

In all seriousness, I tried to cover an awful lot of ground in 272 pages. The first few chapters are background information, the middle part gets into hotly debated stuff like climate change, nuclear power, and peak oil, and then the last part discusses some of the steps we should be taking to mitigate against future energy shortages.

If you read it let me know what you think, what I missed, how I could make the next one (if there is a next one) better, etc.

Cheers,

RR
RobertRapier
Wood
Wood

Return to Book/Media Reviews