Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How Regressive Are Fuel Taxes?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

How Regressive Are Fuel Taxes?

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 31 Mar 2012, 22:05:34

How Regressive Are Fuel Taxes? A Comparison of Countries from Around the World

Raising fuel taxes could significantly reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollution from the transportation sector. One of the prime arguments against raising fuel taxes is the perception that they are regressive—that they are more costly to the poor and other socioeconomic groups. But recent research suggests the opposite, particularly for developing countries.

The world happens almost to have a natural experiment in this area because fuel taxation policy differs considerably across countries, allowing us to study the effects of this instrument. Fuel tax rates vary widely, from a mere 19 cents per liter in the United States to $1.19 per liter, the average for Western European countries (for more detail, see Table 1). Elsewhere, such as in Japan and Australia, rates fall in the intermediate range. There are two notable trends: taxes within Western European countries have been converging over the last 20 years, whereas the spread between Western Europe and other countries has been increasing over time (since 2005, the average in this table for West European countries went up by 35 percent while the other countries’ average rose by less than 20 percent).

A particularly interesting comparison can be made between the United States and Europe. The very low fuel taxes in the United States compared even to the lowest tax rates in Europe are related to higher fuel use—although the relationship is mainly apparent in the very long run. The average-per-capita consumption of gasoline in the United States is more than four times higher than in the United Kingdom or several other European countries. Such data suggest that if the European Union had followed a similar tax policy to that in the United States, aggregate carbon emissions would have been substantially higher.

One of the main reasons for resistance to fuel taxes appears to be the popular belief in many, many countries is that fuel taxes hurt the poor. However, my studies with colleagues (see Further Reading) have found neutral or very weak regressive results in richer countries and quite strong progressive evidence in the developing countries, such as China, India, Ethiopia, Indonesian, Ghana, Nairobi, Mali, and several more. The intuition is not surprising; in most developing countries, the very poorest households cannot afford to own a car at all. Fuels have more of a “luxury” character and hence fuel taxes are more progressive. On the other hand, fuel taxes also increase the cost of public transportation (and other goods). Because the poor typically use public transportation more intensively, this effect might mitigate the progressivity of fuel taxes, but we have found that the net effect is still progressive in practically all developing countries.

The United States is one of the very few exceptions to some of these trends. This is at least partly explained by the lack of public transport and the high general income level, which implies that even the poor have cars. Moreover, to the extent that the domestic fuel tax is regressive, it could very easily be made progressive by a suitable use of the tax proceeds, through either lump-sum repayments or environmental fiscal reform so that tax revenues are used to lower some other, more regressive tax.

RFF
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: How Regressive Are Fuel Taxes?

Unread postby Loki » Sun 01 Apr 2012, 00:12:18

Interesting article Graeme.

Despite strong populist leanings, I do think gas should cost more in the US for purely environmental reasons, even if it is a bit regressive. And in terms of peak oil, a gradual, controlled rise in fuel prices via taxes starting 30 years ago would have put us in a much better place to deal with rising prices due to depletion. But that's a lost opportunity at this point. Score one for Europe.

I make near poverty wages, but I figure that doubling the price of gas from $4/gal to $8/gal would represent <$50 in additional monthly expenses, at /least in terms of personal transportation, assuming no change in driving habits. Not a big deal. Insurance, maintenance, and replacement costs of my truck and bike take a lot more out of my bank account than gasoline.

I'd be more worried about rises in the price of consumer goods (especially food) due to high fuel costs, not to mention other economic problems (the oft-cited relationship between oil prices and recession, for example). I wonder if the authors took that into consideration.

Might be moot anyway, not so sure we'll have much control over fuel prices for the foreseeable future. Best just hold on and enjoy the ride.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Sun 01 Apr 2012, 16:14:19

The piece seems to be reaching, even though I also think there needs to be a big disincentive. If you define the "poor" as those without a car - a rickshaw maybe - then say fuel taxes aren't regressive because poor people don't drive, I guess you'd be right. Pretty slim reasoning tho.

And on the point about fuel taxes making public transit more expensive? If the point is to encourage public transit with higher taxes, wouldn't gov make mass trans exempt? That seems a flakey point as well.

I'm all for higher fuel taxes even though I'm not too rich either. The best things the gov could do is eliminate breaks for FFs and raise use taxes. Fuel taxes are going down with demand so maybe a surcharge on lower MPG vehicles - instead of the SUV exemption we had. Make pickups commercial again? CAFE standards are great but they only force makers to offer higher MPG vehicles, not sell them, or is that wrong?

$10 gas would cut our trips to the store down and the size of the lawn too - LOL
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 01 Apr 2012, 16:33:19

Pops wrote: CAFE standards are great but they only force makers to offer higher MPG vehicles, not sell them, or is that wrong?

$10 gas would cut our trips to the store down and the size of the lawn too - LOL

I will only believe in CAFE standards if/when they are actually ENFORCED. We have a really bad record on this, re the big 3 in recent decades. Maybe in this ONE THING, Obama may be "different" if he is re-elected. Oh wait. The U.S. now has considerable economic interest in two of the big three. HOW INCONVENIENT. Also, the main compliance standard dates come after 2016. HOW CONVENIENT. I wouldn't hold my breath expecting CAFE standards which our leaders are very likely to back down on under lobbying pressure, to save us.

Af far as $10 gas in the US -- I'm all for it. However, if you think the economy is bad NOW...I suspect this would crush it like a bug unless it were implemented gradually. Sadly, a gradual implementation would, IMO, not have as big an impact as we'd like.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Graeme » Sun 01 Apr 2012, 22:25:15

Fuel Taxes vs Fuel Economy: Are Stricter Fuel Economy Standards a Good Idea?

According to news reports, the Obama administration is talking to automakers about raising the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standard for passenger cars to 56.2 miles per gallon by 2025, more than double the 27.5 MPG in force for the 20 years up to 2010. Economists, even those like myself who favor policies to reduce fuel use, have argued that CAFE standards are a bad idea. Has anything changed to make stricter fuel economy standards look better now than in the past?

The fundamental problem with CAFE standards is that they attack the negative externalities of motor fuel use (pollution, national security concerns, highway congestion, accidents) only partially and indirectly. As a result, the cost of achieving a given reduction in fuel use via CAFE standards is higher than it would be if the same result were achieved more directly through an increase in the federal gasoline tax.

All this leaves one last question. If CAFE standards are such a bad idea, why do they remain so popular? If you are an economist, choosing higher fuel taxes over CAFE standards looks like a no-brainer, but if you are a politician, fuel taxes have an obvious drawback. Fuel taxes make the cost of reducing consumption highly visible. You see the big dollars-per-gallon number right there in front of you every time you drive up to the pump. CAFE standards, in contrast, hide the cost. You pay the price of a higher-mileage car only when you buy a new one, and even then, the part of the price attributable to the mileage-enhancing features is not broken out as a separate item on the sticker. You may notice that your new car costs more than your old one did, but there are lots of other reasons for that besides fuel economy.

It is a classic case of the TANSTAAFL principle—There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. If you try to make something look like it’s free, it only ends up costing more in the long run. If you are a politician, you may well prefer a big hidden cost to a small visible cost. If you’re a friend of the environment, you should know better.

oilprice
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Economics & Finance