Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Plant perception

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Plant perception

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 02 Apr 2012, 00:45:00

I saw this very interesting documentary about plant perception today, I thought others on this site would also find this intriguing:

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episod ... viour.html

Twenty years ago just uttering the words behavior and plants in the same sentence would have resulted in scientific excommunication!” Cahill insists. “And that’s because for a long time, I think, we were hung up on the fact that plants are sessile, they don’t move, or at least we don’t see them move. And because of who we are, I think we’ve always equated behavior, even intelligence, with movement.”

Exploding the myth of a passive plant world, this film uncovers the real “secret world” of plants and reveals a landscape pulsing with sex, movement, communication, and social interaction. This is a world where plants talk, forage, wage war and protect their kin; a world where plants behave a lot like us.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Plant perception

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 08 May 2017, 02:16:04

I remember a study back in the sevenries about whether plants were psychic. They put various plants attached to sensors in a room where a random timer would dump brine shrimp or such like experimental targets into boiling water. They then scoured the plant response graphs for spikes associated with the randomly timed shrimp murder.

The results were inconclusive, some claimed the spikes were plant sympathy for the death of the animals, others claimed it was an electric field response to the motor activating to drop the shrimp in the boiling pot.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Plant perception

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 08 May 2017, 04:24:10

Trees can hear water & grow towards it. Why they should care about shrimp murder is beyond me, seems like anthromorphic ideas getting in the way of science.

On both psylocybin mushrooms & acacia DMT i had vivid experiences that entering the forest was like walking into a family home, only with a lot more occupants- certainly felt noticed & 'sussed out' by every living thing. You could call that paranoia, but there was no fear in me, just awe, so it was something else.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Open Topic Discussion