Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cultural death

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Cultural death

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 04:22:43

I spent this evening cleaning house and listening to old tunes from the 60's, 70's an 80''s; the thought occured to me why has there really been nothing signifigant since?

I'm sick of 20 years of rap, hip hop, and indie music. What happened to rock and roll? Why can't they make good music anymore? Something with a melody and that is pleasant to listen to. Flash your bellybutton and do a dance number is not the same as the quality talent from years past. Even Led Zepplin has a song called 'the song remains the same', knothing could be more true, once you've heard it 500 times you lose interest.

The same for Television; why are there no quality shows like Barney Miller, all in the family, canon, or Miami vice on? Reality tv is crap, I don't even watch the news anymore because I know it is all censored propoganda. My favorite TV show was 'Dead like me' which ran 2002-2004, and was cancelled. Why even own a tv anymore?

An occasional movie still touches me like the recent 'hunger games' movie did, or the film 'rent' from a few years back. But where are the culturally altering drama's like Flashdance, Rocky, Saturday night fever, that everyone knew about and altered our collective culture??

Anyone older that 40 has lived through a cultural death of our society at large. I'm bored to death of rap, formula movies, sit coms and other crap. What did our collective society lose around 1990 that caused this social decline and death to occur? More importantly; when will real culture reemerge from the ashes? (God I miss the 80's)
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Cultural death

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 09:13:49

Tell me you don't like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTY8LpT ... re=related
It all depends where you live, one of the reasons I moved to Melbourne is this is a typical week's rock gig list:
http://triplej.yourevents.com.au/guide/ ... archResult
Last edited by SeaGypsy on Sat 07 Apr 2012, 09:25:15, edited 1 time in total.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Roryrules » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 09:16:04

Repent wrote:I spent this evening cleaning house and listening to old tunes from the 60's, 70's an 80''s; the thought occured to me why has there really been nothing signifigant since?

I'm sick of 20 years of rap, hip hop, and indie music. What happened to rock and roll? Why can't they make good music anymore? Something with a melody and that is pleasant to listen to. Flash your bellybutton and do a dance number is not the same as the quality talent from years past. Even Led Zepplin has a song called 'the song remains the same', knothing could be more true, once you've heard it 500 times you lose interest.

In your opinion. Taste is subjective, I can assure you that there have been plenty of big hits since the 1980s which are very popular.

Repent wrote:The same for Television; why are there no quality shows like Barney Miller, all in the family, canon, or Miami vice on? Reality tv is crap, I don't even watch the news anymore because I know it is all censored propoganda. My favorite TV show was 'Dead like me' which ran 2002-2004, and was cancelled. Why even own a tv anymore?

An occasional movie still touches me like the recent 'hunger games' movie did, or the film 'rent' from a few years back. But where are the culturally altering drama's like Flashdance, Rocky, Saturday night fever, that everyone knew about and altered our collective culture??

Anyone older that 40 has lived through a cultural death of our society at large. I'm bored to death of rap, formula movies, sit coms and other crap. What did our collective society lose around 1990 that caused this social decline and death to occur? More importantly; when will real culture reemerge from the ashes? (God I miss the 80's)

Again, this is all just your opinion. And as a young person I'd like to point out that most films and TV shows I've seen from the 50s, 60s and 70s were completely and utterly crap. There's plenty of decent stuff about, just as there's a load of dross, just like it's always been. The idea that we're witnessing some sort of 'cultural death' is just complete bollocks espoused by those with tastes stuck in the Twentieth Century.
Roryrules
Peat
Peat

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 09:35:37

Hear hear Rory, sign of a bad case of ageing hippy with no connection to living youth culture. I'm pushing 50, in awe of the legends, but can find brilliance in some of what is fresh every year, even in 'mainstream pop' which often starts off with raw talent.

A bigger issue for the older gen is the sheer volume of what's out there to listen to, look at. Remember that back in the age of vinyl there were very few companies in the world in control of music publishing at scale, no comparison to now. I think it pays to take note of musicians who make serious fame by the age of 21. Subtract the famous by decent, and cover musicians. Singer songwriters, self made before most of us have figured out if we can get a job we can handle. It's called 'gifted' and it's there. So is a lot of obscure real talent, lost in the noise.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Roryrules » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 09:45:14

SeaGypsy wrote:Hear hear Rory, sign of a bad case of ageing hippy with no connection to living youth culture. I'm pushing 50, in awe of the legends, but can find brilliance in some of what is fresh every year, even in 'mainstream pop' which often starts off with raw talent.

A bigger issue for the older gen is the sheer volume of what's out there to listen to, look at. Remember that back in the age of vinyl there were very few companies in the world in control of music publishing at scale, no comparison to now. I think it pays to take note of musicians who make serious fame by the age of 21. Subtract the famous by decent, and cover musicians. Singer songwriters, self made before most of us have figured out if we can get a job we can handle. It's called 'gifted' and it's there. So is a lot of obscure real talent, lost in the noise.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. In a way we have too much choice today, but I suppose that's better than too little. There's loads of amazing stuff out there, you just need to know where to look.

Oh, and this is a much better quality link for Adele;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYEDA3Jc ... re=related
Roryrules
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ohanian » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:14:28

ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby steam_cannon » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:18:19

People in general and people with power are running out of ideas. Maybe it's the effect of a country being in decline, maybe copyrights are choking the system, maybe we've reached the edge of our potential for musical expression. Whatever the cause, other people have noticed this too.

overthinkingit.com wrote:The Hubbert Peak Theory of Rock, or, Why We’re All Out of Good Songs

Many rock purists and music snobs (myself included) often lament the quality of most modern pop/rock music. “Music these days is so trite and derivative,” they say. “It’s just been downhill since the 60′s and 70′s. Those were the days.”

A few years ago, Rolling Stone magazine added fuel to the music snobbery fire with its “500 Greatest Songs of All Time” list. Anyone casually paging through the list would notice that the bulk of the list was comprised of songs from the 60′s and 70′s, just like the music snobs always say.

I, however, wasn’t content with the casual analysis. So I punched the list into Excel, crunched some numbers, and found an interesting parallel between the decline of rock music quality and, of all things, the decline in US oil discovery and production...
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eXpat » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:32:32

What´s wrong with Lady Gaga?? :lol:
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:35:40

I think the current US culture is richer than ever.

I like some of it and there is a lot I don't like----but its very far from dead.

sxsw in Austin Texas
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdTheNad » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 13:02:18

If you haven't seen any good tv in the last few years you're not trying. Off the top of my head I would recommend all of the following as absolutely fantastic:
Homeland, Dexter, The wire, Breaking bad, Justified, Nurse jackie, Southpark, The walking dead.

I also love family guy, eastbound and down, Fringe, House, Burn notice and many others I can't remember right now.

Just keep away from that reality tv shite and any kind of x factor nonsense.
AdTheNad
Coal
Coal

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 14:10:53

vision-master

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 15:02:18

The spirit of Rock abandoned us toneless wonders in North America and moved to Finland.

Put Nightwish Amaranth in your Amazon search.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 15:09:17

Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 16:03:43

sorry Amaranth isn't Black sabbath or GNR. Metal is in decline as well.

Apparently, Michael Ruppert knows Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and has been critical of them- 'What have you taught your children!!!' He decries the lack of music in the recent occupy movement, seeing music as the catalyst that made the 60's revolt possible:

(if you don't want to watch the whole rant, start at 18 minutes into it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp_-pdqigXo
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 16:07:43

vision-master

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 16:16:36

Hmmm, when I picked up Nightwish a while back, I thought it was a great progression for Metal; though I obviously missed a decade or so of not paying attention to anything. Are you just looking for a modern band that sounds like our 80's rock and first generation Metal? That doesn't seem like progress or life, that sounds like being embalmed.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 16:25:15

That doesn't seem like progress or life, that sounds like being embalmed.

I'll take be embalmed over another decade of rap and hip hop.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion