Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Smile or Die

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Smile or Die

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 18:40:04

Acclaimed journalist, author and political activist Barbara Ehrenreich explores the darker side of positive thinking.

http://youtu.be/u5um8QWWRvo

Do you think that the MSM are engaged in positive thinking style indoctrination, there are some posters on this forum who ONLY forward the GOOD news stories and some who ONLY forward the BAD news stories.

I personally believe that it is important to consider both types of any story while remaining sceptical as to the authors intent on producing the story. With things like peak oil, it is easy to see through the corny stories as being very economical with the truth, TEOTWAWKI stories also need to be read between the lines because there are many different versions of TEOTWAWKI, some have already happened!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Smile or Die

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 07 Apr 2012, 21:24:43

It is obvious that if you want a job as any kind of public pundit, you better positive spin every damn thing you say. If you can make 'We are going to collective hell in the proverbial handbasket' sound like: 'The market diversification strategies based traditionally on blue chip stocks are set to falter as the market factors in more expensive energy and transition to alternative sources gradually takes place' you are already walking a fine line. Positivism has been the dominant New Age influence in mainstream thinking for about 25 years in my experience. I have always experienced it as intellectual weakness.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby chris89 » Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:50:54

In my experience, complacency and apathy are the bigger obstacles.

People are completely happy to think that, yes, the human species is screwed by any number of things. BUT with any number of the following conditions: "Not where I live" or "Not within the next decade or two" or "not in my lifetime".
chris89
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Windmills » Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:18:33

chris89 wrote:In my experience, complacency and apathy are the bigger obstacles.

People are completely happy to think that, yes, the human species is screwed by any number of things. BUT with any number of the following conditions: "Not where I live" or "Not within the next decade or two" or "not in my lifetime".

Don't forget...

"Not me, because I'm a Christian."
"Human ingenuity is infinite."
"They'll think of something."
"It won't happen to me, just other people."
Windmills
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Open Topic Discussion