Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

I don't recommend this site

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

I don't recommend this site

Unread postby spot5050 » Wed 25 Apr 2012, 22:50:14

I think that PO is a big deal, but when chatting to potential converts, I never recommend this site. These forums just put people off PO.
spot5050
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: I don't recommend this site

Unread postby seenmostofit » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 00:06:21

spot5050 wrote:I think that PO is a big deal, but when chatting to potential converts, I never recommend this site. These forums just put people off PO.

I disagree. As a neophyte on the topic, I find it a fascinating place for learning, discussing stuff, and seeing the perspective of those who were here first. It might not have many posters, but those who have been here a long time appear first rate.

What I think puts people off PO, nowadays anyway, is the continuing back and forth nature of it. It never seems to end (or conversely arrive), and in some cases, those on one side alternatively contradict each other as well as those on the other side.
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby seenmostofit » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 00:22:17

pstarr wrote:
spot5050 wrote:I think that PO is a big deal, but when chatting to potential converts, I never recommend this site. These forums just put people off PO.

Sounds like sour grapes. lose an argument?

you put me off. but i am not leaving.

13,000+ posts? What is that, like half a lifetime of hammering away at a keyboard? With that much invested already, leaving is the last thing you should do. They say that you need like 10,000 hours invested in something to be as good as anyone else at it. Depending on your typing speed, I would say that you might already be there!
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby seenmostofit » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 00:24:21

pstarr wrote: I feel so cuddly and disarmed. Now I have to believe your tripe, shorty?

Believe what you wish, but don't be calling me shirley.

pstarr wrote:
seenmostofit wrote:What I think puts people off PO, nowadays anyway, is the continuing back and forth nature of it. It never seems to end (or conversely arrive), and in some cases, those on one side alternatively contradict each other as well as those on the other side.
sure.

See! It wasn't that hard, seeing the wisdom in the words of others, and acknowledging it.
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 00:25:07

True, people come here with the usual Cornie notions gleaned from the corporate MSM. We arrogantly point out how this nonsense was thoroughly debunked in some lengthy 2006 thread which they are not going to read, since it is mostly personal/political squabbling.

What we need is a repeat of the Great PO Server Crash of 2005 (wiping out all those precious old discussions), so we can make a Fresh Start relevant to 2012.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 01:09:10

seenmostofit wrote:What I think puts people off PO, nowadays anyway, is the continuing back and forth nature of it. It never seems to end (or conversely arrive), and in some cases, those on one side alternatively contradict each other as well as those on the other side.

It's sure been interesting to observe. I've been on the forum and at least tangentially paying attention to oil issues for long enough to see:

1. Tar sands oil come into its own
2. Shale oil, fracking

When I first started reading this forum, the consensus was that the above wasn't an answer, negative EROEI etc. And yet Canada's now oil rich from tar sands. Seems to be working.

On the other hand, just the fact that we have to cook Canada up to get our oil kind of proves the old sources are obviously peaked.

What remains to be seen is what happens as the age of *cheap oil* continues to end, since so much of the "American Dream" was built on that.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 01:15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 01:14:28

Well if they google peak oil there's a good chance they'll land here anyway.

Not sure what your exact criticism of the forum is.. not enough oil discussion? Thing is this has all been talked out and it's all in the archives. We used to have more serious oil people posting but they don't lately.

New developments come up, people post it. What else do you expect, this is a public forum it's not one central person pushing a "crash course," there's no one leader, if oil isn't talked about enough then it's up to YOU to post about it.

Peakoil.com has never been "the oil drum" nor "LATOC," the latter is long shut down now and this site gets more hits than the former. *shrugs*
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 01:21:37

seenmostofit wrote:

I disagree. As a neophyte on the topic, I find it a fascinating place for learning, discussing stuff, and seeing the perspective of those who were here first. It might not have many posters, but those who have been here a long time appear first rate.

What I think puts people off PO, nowadays anyway, is the continuing back and forth nature of it. It never seems to end (or conversely arrive), and in some cases, those on one side alternatively contradict each other as well as those on the other side.

There's no "back and forth nature" in peak oil, only failed attempts to make it appear so, usually by confusing what is technically recoverable with extraction rate, ignoring historical flow rates, ignoring EROEI, etc.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 04:23:31

I'm sorry to say that I also rarely recommend this site--too many trolls and right wing extremists.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 06:02:00

I don't recommend it because it's damn scary. Like my favorite horror movie kind of thing. I love it and I love a lot of folks work on here, but sometimes it gets sick. The issues are humungus. I found peakoil.com googling peak oil. I figure anyone with the intellect to search and the fortitude to stomach, I will meet up with here anyway. Out of 22 million Australians, about 5 of us meet these conditions, so I doubt my 'recommendation is going to make much difference.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby dsula » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 06:57:52

seenmostofit wrote:
pstarr wrote:

Sounds like sour grapes. lose an argument?

you put me off. but i am not leaving.

13,000+ posts? What is that, like half a lifetime of hammering away at a keyboard? With that much invested already, leaving is the last thing you should do. They say that you need like 10,000 hours invested in something to be as good as anyone else at it. Depending on your typing speed, I would say that you might already be there!

Hahahahaha! Good one.
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 07:34:16

We're all born into a rigged system. There's no escape.

You have to have money to survive, money needs rent to grow (Interest), as the economy grew, it grew towards the limits of the ecology. We were all born into a fundamentally corrupt and insane political, social and economic system. Collapse is inevitable.

Tell me how it can be changed without a collapse. We're dammed without the oil- no way to support this many people, we're dammed with the oil- catastrophic climate change.

This site has helped many 'smart' people prepare for the consequences of collapse. The 'American idol' crowd will have to find somewhere else to go to die.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby seenmostofit » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 08:52:55

ralfy wrote:

There's no "back and forth nature" in peak oil, only failed attempts to make it appear so, usually by confusing what is technically recoverable with extraction rate, ignoring historical flow rates, ignoring EROEI, etc.

Oh, there is certainly confusion, and there is certainly a back and forth nature to the topic. The ebb and flow is apparent to even a neophyte, reading the articles and posts and concerns circa 2005, versus the same type of sampling of such things today.
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 09:38:37

You sound confused Shorty?
vision-master

Unread postby steam_cannon » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:54:42

Same here. I usually recommend http://www.theoildrum.com because they come off as more academic.

The problem is peakoil.com lacks cohesive static pages, that rug that pulls everything together. If I was running peakoil.com, I'd make a main page, I might even put a video on that page and I'd set up a few introductory pages too, probably 50 to 100 pages of content. I would also set up a news page section for news articles on the latest oil disasters, which is where theoildrum.com gets a lot of it's traffic. I'd probably put the static pages in a drop down mega menu for easy navigation. The mainpage and introductory pages would have our most informative charts simply, cleanly and academically explaining the issues (with references). I would still keep the discussions forums in the sidebar and news as a top bar or as a sidebar thing.

In business and in any endeavor, people in the thick of it forget that their product MUST HAVE A CLEAR STATEMENT OF IDENTITY. In business it is a good plan to describe your product or project in one page, no more and no less. Then give more details in a detailed report and the same applies to the web. I think peakoil.com is more useful then theoildrum.com. But as it stands Peakoil.com has poor branding and lacks that critical statement of identity, and that makes it hard to recommend people go here first.
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Umber » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:29:12

I recommend it for laughs.
Umber

Unread postby steam_cannon » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:46:24

Also I recommend moving this thread into the "Suggestion Box" topic, instead of "Open Topic Discussion".
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ferretlover » Thu 26 Apr 2012, 16:36:01

And, yet, you "Joined: 07 Dec 2004," and, now, in 2012, you are still posting here.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion