Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Survivalism? Your thoughts compared to mine?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Survivalism? Your thoughts compared to mine?

Unread postby FitnessGlendale » Mon 07 May 2012, 17:17:22

From what I can glean, survivalism implies:

1. Distrust of government and organized society. Suspicion that when difficult times come, such as with Peak Oil, they will either collapse or become authoritarian.
2. Self-reliance for food, shelter, and safety.
3. Belief that safety is to be had in unobtrusive homesteads in rural areas.
4. Forming groups ranging in size from individuals and nuclear families to communities of several families. Perhaps looser ties to a larger number of similar settlements.
4. Belief that interaction with people other than family or immediate community will be hostile or at least tense.
5. Sense of security in firearms and semi-military defense strategies.
6. Perhaps religious, perhaps not.
7. Politics would usually involve loyalty to a group (family, community, or nation) and suspicion of any competing groups.
8. Looking to the military, pioneers, and backwoodsmen for models.

Is this an accurate summary of survivalism?

What I don't understand is how a survivalist sees the future. Is survivalism a temporary strategy or a permanent one? Are you expecting to live this way for the rest of your life? Will you ever feel comfortable going back to an organized society?
FitnessGlendale
Wood
Wood

Re: Survivalism? Your thoughts compared to mine?

Unread postby Cog » Mon 07 May 2012, 17:25:04

What exactly are you selling?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby basil_hayden » Mon 07 May 2012, 17:42:00

Should have changed that freakin' lock, should have made you leave your key.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 07 May 2012, 17:42:15

Cog wrote:What exactly are you selling?

stereotypes
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 07 May 2012, 18:17:04

:evil: I suppose that fitnessglendale is most likely a robot or a spammer but that is a pretty good list to start a discussion . Anyone want to pick the list apart?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 07 May 2012, 18:29:05

I would change #1 to Understanding that government is incompetent and not up to the task .
I would change #5 to Understanding the value of firearms for personnel and family defence.
I would skip#6 as religious people look to God for answers and will not accept that reality and the future are right here right now.
And #7 politics will move to those that demonstrate a complete understanding of the problem and put forward the best possible solution. This will come painfully slow.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sir.Henry » Mon 07 May 2012, 19:46:29

#1 was quite funny since it projected authouritarian regimes into the future. Oh boy, i suggest you look out your own backyard window for a change!

So i'll take up this hat, picking...
5. Sense of security in firearms and semi-military defense strategies.
That's something i wanted to discuss with Charlton Heston anyways, so i might as well give it a chance:
In my opinion firearms - as for personal protection, not in a war - offer a false sense of security. Carrying along a pistol makes one strong, able to respond forcefully to any opposition that might arise.
In fact, the armed guy is looking for a conflict actively because he feels strong enough to be able to crush the bad guys.

That's a pretty good inscript for a gravestone, but the main concern of a survivalist should be... survival.
Survivalists tend to avoid conflict whenever possible to reach their primary goal, so a hollywood type shootout is out of the question.

Instead, a survivalist would try to avoid the guy with the gun if possible. If this cannot be achieved for whatever reason, asynchronous tactics (i hate that term, but it's hip and modern!) are applied.
In essence i am talking about guerilla tactics and everything else dirty, mean and working. Cut his throat while he is sleeping, build traps, poison him, hide or disguise yourself, kidnap his wife - the actual method does not matter in any way.

As a sidenote... when i was some 14 or 15 years old, i picked up a book called "tunnel to the stars". In this novel, the final test exam for some young people was to survive for some days on an unknown planet under unknown conditions.
All they knew was that they had to adapt to the new environment, but just into the story an unsuspected problem showed when the main protagonist found one of his co-students murdered and stripped off all valuables - including his valuable state of the art firearm.

Now - 30 years later - i remember this novel once again. And by comparing it to what i know today, and what i expect from the future, and bringing it in line with my skills in a true survival situation...
...and it's interesting to note that the circle is closing again...

It is simple. If i am able to hear your shot even from miles away, consider yourself dead (of course, open country environment only. I think)

Now, Glendale, you wanted to sell us some second hand army clothing, am i right in that assumption?
Sir.Henry
Wood
Wood

Unread postby davep » Tue 08 May 2012, 03:25:56

There were spam links at the bottom that I deleted. I wouldn't take the list too seriously.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Anvil » Tue 08 May 2012, 05:55:20

Studying agriculture certs.
Moving as far away from the city as possible to an organic farm of some sort.

This is what i am trying to achieve.
Anvil
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Tue 08 May 2012, 08:48:45

FitnessGlendale wrote:
Will you ever feel comfortable going back to an organized society?

...Dont think I would want to work at a desk job to pay for a useless Gym membership I never use :evil:
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 08 May 2012, 10:17:42

FitnessGlendale wrote:Is this an accurate summary of survivalism?

What I don't understand is how a survivalist sees the future. Is survivalism a temporary strategy or a permanent one? Are you expecting to live this way for the rest of your life?

All you need to know is survivalists presume to live while everyone else perishes. If everyone lives then what's the point ? So, by definition, yes it is for the rest of your life.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion