Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Yet More Austerity in Britain!

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Yet More Austerity in Britain!

Unread postby Quinny » Tue 08 May 2012, 20:49:43

The typical pay of bosses at the majority of the UK's largest publicly listed companies rose by only 11% last year to £3.65m, according to research done on behalf of the BBC.

Pay at firms in the UK in general rose by just 1.1%, according to the Manifest calculations.

While pay rose at big corporations for chief executives and executive chairmen, shares of FTSE 100 firms shed 6.6% of their value last year.

Nice to see the austerity is being shared fairly. :roll: :sarcasm off :x

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17996094
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Yet More Austerity in Britain!

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Wed 09 May 2012, 03:26:13

Quinny wrote:The typical pay of bosses at the majority of the UK's largest publicly listed companies rose by only 11% last year to £3.65m, according to research done on behalf of the BBC.

Presumably they don't really know, what to do with bailout money. :-D
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Wed 09 May 2012, 13:17:35

Quinny wrote:The typical pay of bosses at the majority of the UK's largest publicly listed companies rose by only 11% last year to £3.65m, according to research done on behalf of the BBC.

Pay at firms in the UK in general rose by just 1.1%, according to the Manifest calculations.

While pay rose at big corporations for chief executives and executive chairmen, shares of FTSE 100 firms shed 6.6% of their value last year.

There is private vs public sector austerity. There has been massive austerity in the private sector since 2008. In government, not so much except at the level of US state governments that have laid off teachers, firemen, policemen but not administrators.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Westfield » Wed 09 May 2012, 13:45:53

There is a glimmer of hope though with the recent shareholder revolts about excessive pay. One can only hope this continues and that the government makes the votes binding. :!:
Westfield
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Wed 09 May 2012, 13:50:56

Westfield wrote:There is a glimmer of hope though with the recent shareholder revolts about excessive pay. One can only hope this continues and that the government makes the votes binding. :!:

I don't see the problem with shareholders revolting against unwarranted executive pay. I have a problem with the government stepping in and deciding these matters. It's none of their business.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby davep » Wed 09 May 2012, 14:45:45

I have a problem with the government stepping in and deciding these matters. It's none of their business.

Did you have a problem with Goverments bailing out banks after the derivatives fiasco?
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby careinke » Wed 09 May 2012, 15:17:57

davep wrote:
I have a problem with the government stepping in and deciding these matters. It's none of their business.

Did you have a problem with Goverments bailing out banks after the derivatives fiasco?

I did.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby davep » Wed 09 May 2012, 16:02:11

careinke wrote:
davep wrote:

I did.

So in reality, it is now their business.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Quinny » Thu 10 May 2012, 08:40:41

Serial_Worrier wrote:

There is private vs public sector austerity. There has been massive austerity in the private sector since 2008. In government, not so much except at the level of US state governments that have laid off teachers, firemen, policemen but not administrators.

but no austerity for the executives... It's disgraceful :twisted:
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JPL » Fri 11 May 2012, 19:11:56

Hi Quinny (long time no see!)

I have thought this for some years now, that resource depletion was eventually going to end up as a dream come true for certain powers at the top. Basically, a chance to prove that they were right and everyone else was wrong.

I still think this is the case and little I have seen in recent years proves otherwise. Welcome to my future...

JP
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Fri 11 May 2012, 21:18:50

Hi JP

TPTB are certainly playing the divide and rule card well. LMFAO watching Question Time the other week where some people are still arguing/voting on an aspirational basis rather than getting real.

You still Southwest?
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JPL » Wed 16 May 2012, 18:26:49

Quinny wrote:Hi JP

You still Southwest?

Hi Quinny

Yea still here in Tiverton (groan). I'm back in software though, which is pretty cool (proves I can still do it!)

I've got a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/johnjpl - if you have an account, 'friend' me & we'll talk some more.

Take care mate,

John
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion