Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Should we Still be Concerned with Peak Oil?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 26 Jun 2012, 01:08:23

With oil prices falling precipitously, this seems like a good time to reassess the widely anticipated phenomenon known as peak oil. How much of a threat is it as we look into the future?

There are basically two camps about the peak of global oil production.

• Cornucopians — Not only is the glass half-full, it is brimming over. There is no threat whatsoever to industrial civilizations. The Stone Age didn't end because we ran out of stones.
• Doomers — The glass is half-empty and we're draining it fast. Industrial civilizations are going to collapse soon because there won't be enough oil to go around. A new Stone Age is right around the corner.

Both these "schools of thought" are wildly incorrect. It's not an accident that this kind of dichotomy exists. It's not an accident that these opposed views closely resemble the political squabbles so prevalent in the United States today. You know, Progressives versus Conservatives ... blah, blah, blah. These are emotionally-based positions which have little to do with Reality. Naturally there are many more Cornucopians than there are Doomers because mindless optimism is the default human position (mistake) in all matters, not just oil.

I can demolish both positions in two sentences.

• Cornucopians do not know how to subtract.
• Doomers do not know how to add.

Of course when I say these people don't know how to add or subtract, I am describing the psychological requirements of these groups. Cornucopians cannot acknowledge that oil fields peak and decline, and that global oil production might do the same. Doomers cannot acknowledge that technology, exploration and wars in Iraq bring new resources on-stream. By and large, members of both groups know bugger all about the global oil industry.

oilprice
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Should we Still be Concerned with Peak Oil?

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 26 Jun 2012, 01:33:28

Well the summation can be proven wrong right here. We have corny and doomer alike with a bit more than 'bugger all knowledge of the oil industry'/ really? How trite. "Global oil production 'might' do the same thing" (BS it's as obvious as the nose on your face it will). The earth is full of rocks, it has not an unlimited supply of oil.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SilentRunning » Wed 27 Jun 2012, 21:52:59

Graeme wrote:

Of course when I say these people don't know how to add or subtract, I am describing the psychological requirements of these groups. Cornucopians cannot acknowledge that oil fields peak and decline, and that global oil production might do the same. Doomers cannot acknowledge that technology, exploration and wars in Iraq bring new resources on-stream. By and large, members of both groups know bugger all about the global oil industry.

This "doomer" does know how to add. It's just that I have the audacity to ask "add what?"

Technology: Technology is not an energy source.

Exploration: Exploration can find energy sources, but it can never find energy sources that don't exist, or have been depleted, or take more energy to find than they ultimately yield (such energy sources are more correctly called "energy sinks").

Wars in Iraq: Wars may temporarily reassign who gets the oil, but it can not make new oil. I might add that war by itself is a tremendous consumer of oil and other resources.
Send more Cornicopians!
The last ones were delicious!!! :-)
SilentRunning
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MD » Thu 28 Jun 2012, 05:58:49

straw men are always easy to demolish. That is after all what they are set up for...
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby dorlomin » Thu 28 Jun 2012, 06:09:28

And the author does not know how to devide the range of opinions so multiplies the confusion to produce the square root of sod all.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion