Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Government Motors Taxpayer Loss Hits New Record

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Government Motors Taxpayer Loss Hits New Record

Unread postby mattduke » Tue 03 Jul 2012, 21:06:40

General Motors (GM) shares fell to a fresh 2012 closing low of 19.57 on Monday. The stock hit 19 in mid-December, the lowest since the auto giant came public at $33 in November 2010 following its June 2009 bankruptcy.

Normally you might say, tough luck investors. But this is Government Motors. The Treasury still owns 26.5% of GM, or 500 million shares. Taxpayers are still out $26.4 billion in direct aid. Shares would have to hit $53 for the government to break even.

Those shares were worth about $9.8 billion as of Monday. That would leave taxpayers with a loss of $16.6 billion.

But that's not the full tally. Obama let GM keep $45 billion in past losses to offset future profits. Those are usually wiped out or slashed, along with debts, in bankruptcy. But the administration essentially gifted $45 billion in write-offs (book value $18 billion) to GM. So when GM earned a $7.6 billion profit in 2011 (more on that below), it paid no taxes.

Include that $18 billion gift, and taxpayers' true loss climbs to nearly $35 billion.

http://news.investors.com/article/61684 ... s-fall.htm
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Government Motors Taxpayer Loss Hits New Record

Unread postby SolarDave » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 09:51:30

All of you who howled at the Solyndra loss - let's hear it for GM!

Posted while pedaling - powered by me!
100% of the electricity needed for this post was generated by ME.
http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen/green_virtual_gym.html
Posted from a Pedal Powered Computer
SolarDave
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Timo » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 10:16:59

As a taxpayer, i'm a citizen of this nation only for myself! My taxes shouldn't be used for anyone else's benefit! What's all this national unity, United We Stand crap i keep hearing about?!?! As a law abiding citizen, i clouldn't give a crap about the intelligence or success of my fellow citizens. That sentiment is soooo WWII. Shared responsibility for national prosperity and well-being is COMMUNISM!!! :twisted:
Timo

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 05 Jul 2012, 11:38:52

People with equity investments should realize that there is no loss (or gain) until you actually sell. That's why I like dividend paying stocks - it's getting paid to wait.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 06 Jul 2012, 16:43:00

GM sued for "cooking the books"

GM sued for "channel-stuffing"

If true, this would constitute financial fraud on a huge scale at GM. GM is accused of reporting phony sales numbers to cheat investors, which of course include all US taxpayers.

Is it GM or is it Solyndra? Oh--its GM---the latest scam from Obama's cronies--- Sooooprise Sooooprise.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Return to Open Topic Discussion