Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Repricing Of Oil

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

The Repricing Of Oil

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 07 Sep 2012, 19:26:52

The Repricing Of Oil

Now that oil’s price revolution – a process that took ten years to complete – is self-evident, it is possible once again to start anew and ask: When will the next re-pricing phase begin?

Most of the structural changes that carried oil from the old equilibrium price of $25 to the new equilibrium price of $100 (average of Brent and WTIC) unfolded in the 2002-2008 period. During that time, both the difficult realities of geology and a paradigm shift in awareness worked their way into the market, as a new tranche of oil resources, entirely different in cost and structure than the old oil resources, came online. The mismatch between the old price and the emergent price was resolved incrementally at first, and finally by a super-spike in 2008.

However, once the dust settled on the ensuing global recession and financial crisis, oil then found its way to its new range between $90 and $110. Here, supply from a new set of resources and the continuance of less-elastic demand from the developing world have created moderate price stability. Prices above $90 are enough to bring on new supply, thus keeping production levels slightly flat. And yet those same prices roughly balance the continued decline of oil consumption in the OECD, which offsets the continued advance of consumption in the non-OECD.

If oil prices can’t fall that much because of the cost of marginal supply and overall flat global production, and if oil prices can’t rise that much because of restrained Western economies, what set of factors will take the oil price outside of its current envelope?

zerohedge
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: The Repricing Of Oil

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 07 Sep 2012, 19:34:57

Graeme wrote:If oil prices can’t fall that much because of the cost of marginal supply and overall flat global production, and if oil prices can’t rise that much because of restrained Western economies, what set of factors will take the oil price outside of its current envelope? zerohedge

You're a marvel, Graeme. Thanks for all the great thought-provoking posts.

FACTORS THAT COULD TAKE OIL PRICES BEYOND CURRENT ENVELOPE

(price goes down)

1. Global Depression

(price goes up)

1. Syrian war involves Turkey, Iran, Israel etc.
2. Israel/Iran war
3. Coup in KSA, Qatter, UAE etc.
4. Terrorism ---attacks in the Straits of Hormuz, KSA oil terminals, etc.
5. Opec oil embargo against west
6. Global Oil Production drops below available supply
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 07 Sep 2012, 19:54:41

Plant, Yes I knew this article would be of interest to this forum. There's plenty of room for discussion here. What struck me was the very last paragraph where the author says we are at least five years into a global energy transition!

Global growth, scarce though it may be, is no longer being funded by oil. OECD economies have rebounded weakly since 2008, and have used natural gas, coal, and renewables like wind and solar rather than oil to build back broken portions of their economies. Meanwhile, in the non-OECD, where oil demand is still growing, the consumption of oil is completely dwarfed by coal consumption. There is no question that energy transition is underway and has been already for at least five years. In my last report, I suggested that one possible pathway for oil was to be finally set free to achieve significantly higher prices as the construction fuel for a world in transition.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby FarQ3 » Fri 14 Sep 2012, 13:24:07

Plant,

I'd say there may also be some concern that the US/Allies may instigate a naval blockade of iranian oil to India & China as both are still importing significant amounts of oil from Iran even after Hillary asked them not to. This may cause pressure on oil supplies in future.

Just for info, Shell has announced possible fuel shortages may develop in Western Australia near-term due to supply not in keeping with demand.
Oils just aint oils ..... unless you believe the IEA :)
FarQ3
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 14 Sep 2012, 13:38:29

FarQ3 wrote:Plant,

I'd say there may also be some concern that the US/Allies may instigate a naval blockade of iranian oil to India & China as both are still importing significant amounts of oil from Iran even after Hillary asked them not to. This may cause pressure on oil supplies in future..

Possibly.

That would be a possibility if the US/EU embargo on Iranian oil exports wasn't just a sham. The plan doesn't actually involve blocking the oil---the sanctions are on BANKS of countries that handle the oil transactions.

Even that might have had an effect, But Obama has granted "waivers" to China, Singapore and Japan so they can still import Iranian oil, and the Indians are still importing Iranian oil too. Since China and Japan and India were the major importers of Iranian oil prior to the sanctions anyway, the sanctions really are having very little impact. :roll:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby seenmostofit » Fri 14 Sep 2012, 14:05:47

Graeme wrote:Plant, Yes I knew this article would be of interest to this forum. There's plenty of room for discussion here. What struck me was the very last paragraph where the author says we are at least five years into a global energy transition!

How dare he steal my idea!!
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Return to Peak Oil Discussion