Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Armageddon virus: Why experts fear a disease that...

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

The Armageddon virus: Why experts fear a disease that...

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 14:54:46

"...leaps from animals to humans could devastate mankind in the next five years"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... years.html
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The Armageddon virus: Why experts fear a disease that...

Unread postby The Practician » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 17:32:22

Yeah, could. Or ten years. or twenty five. It's pretty much inevitable that there is going to be a pandemic comparable to the flu of 1918 sometime, probably sooner rather than later, but I don't see the point in getting too worked up about it. It's not like there enough people on the planet.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ferretlover » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 17:40:10

Almost anything is possible. If you want to leave the Matrix and find out just how vulnerable humans are to viruses, read The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance by Laurie Garrett (Amazon, $12 & some change) that was suggested by ritter.
I was only through the first fourth and I was wishing it was FICTION! Well-written, a little over 700 pp, I'll write a review when I finish.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ritter » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 17:54:17

Ferretlover wrote:I was only through the first fourth and I was wishing it was FICTION!

Glad you're enjoying it. Sleep well! :-D
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lore » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 18:17:33

Is this the same Daily Mail, that recently reported that the planet has not warmed in 16 years? :roll:
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 17 Oct 2012, 03:32:16

The Coming Plague is a very good book! Well-documented, too, with discussions of Bolivian hemorrhagic fever, Legionnaire's disease, etc.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 17 Oct 2012, 03:35:30

The Practician wrote:Yeah, could. Or ten years. or twenty five. It's pretty much inevitable that there is going to be a pandemic comparable to the flu of 1918 sometime, probably sooner rather than later, but I don't see the point in getting too worked up about it. It's not like there enough people on the planet.

Or five years. Unfortunately, the idea of uncertainty works both ways.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Laromi » Thu 18 Oct 2012, 08:43:22

ralfy wrote:"...leaps from animals to humans could devastate mankind in the next five years"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... years.html

Pure humbug, what is talked about here are diseases that have probably been about and remodeled for millenia. And certainly most vectors such as ticks and mosquitoes are not strangers to our environment.
Sars-like virus that had previously only been seen in bats
Lyssa virus, purportedly transmitted by bats, has been (recognised) in Australia for many years its of the genus Lyssavirus, rabies serogroup, and includes the classic rabies virus, Mokola virus, Duvenhage virus, Obodhiang virus, Kotonkan virus, Rochambeau virus, European bat Lyssavirus types 1 and 2, and Australian bat Lyssavirus, mostly all with a morbidity rate approaching 100%.

Then there's Lyme Disease or Rocky Mountain Fever Disease, an acute febrile illness caused by spirochetes of Borrelia burgdorferi which causes a relapsing fever, then wev'e had SARS, concerns of significant manifestations of HIV infection and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) but it's not like they (De Bugs) are about to visit you, generally speaking, you must firstly put yourself at risk.

Doom and Gloom always sells. I think the above quoted piece of journalism is not really an exception.
Laromi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby The Practician » Thu 18 Oct 2012, 17:01:05

ralfy wrote:
The Practician wrote:Yeah, could. Or ten years. or twenty five. It's pretty much inevitable that there is going to be a pandemic comparable to the flu of 1918 sometime, probably sooner rather than later, but I don't see the point in getting too worked up about it. It's not like there enough people on the planet.

Or five years. Unfortunately, the idea of uncertainty works both ways.

Yeah, sure, whatever. My point, which admittedly got a bit garbled when I accidentaly delteted the word "aren't" from "its not like there aren't enough people on the planet", is that there isn't any reason to get all worked up over it.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 19 Oct 2012, 09:35:58

What happened in 1918 ? Population stopped growing for a few months?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 19 Oct 2012, 10:14:23

Laromi wrote:
Pure humbug, what is talked about here are diseases that have probably been about and remodeled for millenia. And certainly most vectors such as ticks and mosquitoes are not strangers to our environment.
Sars-like virus that had previously only been seen in bats
Lyssa virus, purportedly transmitted by bats, has been (recognised) in Australia for many years its of the genus Lyssavirus, rabies serogroup, and includes the classic rabies virus, Mokola virus, Duvenhage virus, Obodhiang virus, Kotonkan virus, Rochambeau virus, European bat Lyssavirus types 1 and 2, and Australian bat Lyssavirus, mostly all with a morbidity rate approaching 100%.

Then there's Lyme Disease or Rocky Mountain Fever Disease, an acute febrile illness caused by spirochetes of Borrelia burgdorferi which causes a relapsing fever, then wev'e had SARS, concerns of significant manifestations of HIV infection and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) but it's not like they (De Bugs) are about to visit you, generally speaking, you must firstly put yourself at risk.

Doom and Gloom always sells. I think the above quoted piece of journalism is not really an exception.

I don't think the intention is to show that this is a new problem.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 19 Oct 2012, 10:20:22

The Practician wrote:Yeah, sure, whatever. My point, which admittedly got a bit garbled when I accidentaly delteted the word "aren't" from "its not like there aren't enough people on the planet", is that there isn't any reason to get all worked up over it.

Are you implying that we shouldn't get "worked up over it" because when it takes place, there won't be too many people on the planet?
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Medical Issues Forum