Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How will the cornucopians react?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

How will the cornucopians react?

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 07:17:04

When Peak Oil becomes clear to all, how do forum members think the cornucopians will handle it?

Will they persist in denial? If so, how?

Will they claim they were never really cornucopians? How could they do that?

How many of them will admit they were wrong?
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: How will the cornucopians react?

Unread postby jodell8964 » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 12:26:51

First of all, the cornucopians will never admit that they really are cornucopians. They will continue to persevere with their denialist agenda looking for scapegoats to take the hit for their woes when TSHTF.
jodell8964
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Pops » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 13:34:42

Old *Cornies never die, they just change metrics

* Same goes for Doomers, see: Here Comes The Double Dip, part 58
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 13:58:38

Beery1 wrote:When Peak Oil becomes clear to all, how do forum members think the cornucopians will handle it?

From what I've seen, I think they will buy an e-cat.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SamInNebraska » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 15:36:53

Beery1 wrote:When Peak Oil becomes clear to all, how do forum members think the cornucopians will handle it?

This might be a bit of a noob question, but, will cornucopian react...to what? Certainly peak oil is a cool idea, we discuss it in the abstract and whatnot, but the way the IEA is now treating resources in general, it would seem that if we use less, as less is produced, well, what is anyone supposed to react....to? And won't different people react, differently?

Lets say I am a granola person, my euphemism for a bicycle riding, local produce buying, gizmo and gadget freak in the Pac NW, solar powered hot water and passive home with the occasional PV panel on the roof, don't even get my electricity from fossil fuels much, let alone worry about gasoline lines, rationing, consumer. Love my iphone, telework part time, yuck it up over the brain dead consumers runing around pissing and moaning filling up their Hummers, but really, how would this granola person even notice peak oil? Certainly someone will finish the pipeline I hate, which is just as predictable as it was during the energy crisis of the 70's with the Alaskan pipeline (bastards), but I'm guessing some people might not even know what to be looking for?

It is like worrying about a meteor impact, are we supposed to notice them all, or just the big ones? Think about it, for an event which has the potential to completely wipe out the human race one afternoon, we seem a bit lackadaisical about it. Is peak oil like that, we only notice occasionally as the world changes around us because of it? The boiling frog analogy? The rest of the time we sell the Hummer, add another panel to the array and move on?
SamInNebraska
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Quinny » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 15:45:45

As a 'granola' person you might not be impacted as much initially, but the financial impacts of a reclining resource base will impact everyone.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 15:58:25

SamInNebraska wrote:

This might be a bit of a noob question, but, will cornucopian react...to what?

To an obvious and ongoing decline in liquid fuel production - say it's 2025 and the world has seen ten full years of decline in liquid fuel production. The shale oil bubble went pop in 2015, oil shale turned out to be a pipe dream, the Middle East is awash in blood and Europe and the US are mired in the second great depression.

Lets say I am a granola person, my euphemism for a bicycle riding, local produce buying, gizmo and gadget freak in the Pac NW, solar powered hot water and passive home with the occasional PV panel on the roof, don't even get my electricity from fossil fuels much, let alone worry about gasoline lines, rationing, consumer. Love my iphone, telework part time, yuck it up over the brain dead consumers runing around pissing and moaning filling up their Hummers, but really, how would this granola person even notice peak oil?

But that's not the question. Cornies aren't the granola person. They are betting it all on a future that's powered by oil.
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 16:26:42

Beery1 wrote:But that's not the question. Cornies aren't the granola person. They are betting it all on a future that's powered by oil.

That's a very limiting definition of a Corny. You are describing basically an irrational denialist. Someone who thinks finite is infinite or believes in abiotic. Most cornies are technotopians who think something will be invented or discovered that will substitute for oil and result in a mostly smooth transistion. I think of people like Tom Whipple. He's been sounding the alarm bells of peak oil for some time but seems to jump on every techno-fix as a hopeful remedy.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 17:37:40

dinopello wrote:
Beery1 wrote:But that's not the question. Cornies aren't the granola person. They are betting it all on a future that's powered by oil.

That's a very limiting definition of a Corny. You are describing basically an irrational denialist. Someone who thinks finite is infinite or believes in abiotic.

No. But I am confining it to those who actually use oil. I don't think it's 'very limiting' to do so - after all, those who refuse to use any oil are a tiny, insignificant minority. I don't see the 'granola person' as a cornucopian - clearly, he has taken steps to ensure that peak oil doesn't affect him directly. As such, he's a peakist, at least in deed.

Besides, cornucopia means 'horn of plenty' - an unending cup. In Greek mythology, the cup was made by the infant Zeus, who accidentally broke off the horn from the goat Amalthea, which then had the divine power to provide unending nourishment.

So I'm going by that definition - i.e. I'm talking of those who believe that oil will not peak in our lifetimes, that peak oil is BS and that the supply of oil is, for all intents and purposes for anyone alive today, endless. I'm talking about those who, in recent news articles, are trumpeting the death of the peak oil 'theory'. Many of those are not 'irrational denialists'.
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dinopello » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 17:56:59

OK, Beery, its your thread. By your definition, I don't know a single Corny in person or online.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 19:31:13

dinopello wrote:OK, Beery, its your thread. By your definition, I don't know a single Corny in person or online.

Well then, it's not my definition you're using, because my definition includes everyone who has written an article claiming that peak oil is dead. The problem is, you're putting my definition through your impermeable filter. If we use your filter, no one except for granola guy can ever be a cornucopian.

No one's forcing you to answer the question.
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SamInNebraska » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 20:47:33

Quinny wrote:As a 'granola' person you might not be impacted as much initially, but the financial impacts of a reclining resource base will impact everyone.

Well, considering how bad EROEI has gotten, it would seem that a declining resource has been impacting everyone for decades already, I saw a graph somewhere showing oil EROEI going off a cliff. And again, this would seem to be a battle fought at the individual level. I make $50G/year say, and peak oil doubles cost of living from $10G/year to $20G/ year because of peak oil. But triple my salary because I went to college, got better job, got involved in producing some of that energy (a big industry which will be needing loads of help to get the more expensive stuff out of the ground) and suddenly that doubling isn't such a big deal. It just doesn't look all that clear cut, and if you are in the middle of it, how does this particular cornie react, they didn't see any of the peak oil effect?
SamInNebraska
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SamInNebraska » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 20:49:42

You have a strawman cornie. Here is a cornie, and I promise you this guy will never be mistaken for someone betting it all on oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amory_Lovins
SamInNebraska
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SamInNebraska » Mon 26 Nov 2012, 20:54:43

pstarr wrote: And because they have no imagination, they can't even consider just how bad things are going to get. :?

That's my question! What are these cornies supposed to react TO! And isn't that reaction a good thing as they learn? They insulate the house, sell the SUV, move closer to work, grow some food in the garden, that sort of stuff? I mean even cornies can learn can't they, they will learn and do something else, anything else, to free up disposable income to buy Starbucks on their way to work in the morning, now that sounds like a ritual even a cornie won't give up...until climate change takes out coffee bean growth anyway.
SamInNebraska
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SilentRunning » Tue 27 Nov 2012, 00:23:20

Will they claim they were never really cornucopians? How could they do that?

How many of them will admit they were wrong?

Well, they are currently stuck in the "Denial" phase. After that usually comes Anger, then Bargaining, then Depression. A few may even move on to the final "Acceptance" phase.
Send more Cornicopians!
The last ones were delicious!!! :-)
SilentRunning
Peat
Peat

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion