Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Do you use Spotify?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Do you use Spotify?

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 22 Dec 2012, 14:07:08

I was recently introduced to the music service Spotify and was wondering if anyone else on here uses it. I don't have or want a smart phone so getting live music over the internet is a novelty for me. I have lots of CD's stored on my computer but Spotify lets me listen to stuff I forget I even liked. A lot of it is stuff I have on Cassette or B-track back in my youth that I never repurchased in CD format. The other thing I have been doing is finding radio stations on my ROKU, which is interesting. I hear ads in markets all across the country using the same script but other city names, the first time I heard an Anchorage station do an ad that was identical to my local Toledo station I did a double take. Makes me wonder how much the voice actors get for sounding so peppy doing the same lines hundreds of times to get the local markets all covered. The difference is with Spotify it personalizes the music stream based on my mood and preferences, so I hear what I want to hear instead of whatever the station happens to be playing.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do you use Spotify?

Unread postby Pops » Sat 22 Dec 2012, 19:01:06

My all time favorite station was KFAT in Gilroy CA, long since defunct. They invented Americana music.

Also the only defunct station to live on - online...
http://www.kfat.com/
They play music you've never heard.

Stuff from the old on air days:
http://chuckmaultsby.net/id23.html

"Fewer hits, less often"
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 22 Dec 2012, 20:48:40

Spotify is not available in Canada (stupid rules up here in that regard) but I get the same effect by downloading all sorts of stuff I find on itunes that brings back memories of days gone, load them into playlists and play back on an ipod or hook up the ipod to my vehicle when I'm going somewhere. Never much liked radio because there is always crap that I don't want to listen to even if there is a lot of things I do want to listen to.

Using Pops radio station as an example I have a playlist loaded with Commander Cody, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Asleep at the Wheel, Flying Buritto Brothers, Grateful Dead, David Grissman, and a few others.

Having your favorites on a playlist at Christmas is great opposed to say using satellite radio with stations like Holly where you are almost certainly guaranteed of having to listen to Dominic the Christmas Donkey at least once an hour. My apologies to anyone out there who likes that song! 8O
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Sat 22 Dec 2012, 21:26:43

My fav is radioparidise.com. Listener supported Internet radio. Lots of indie and cuts from the best alblums that are rarely heard outside someone's own private collection. Everything from Mozart, Muddy Watters, Frank, to Neko Case, excluding country western and rap.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby MD » Sun 23 Dec 2012, 11:21:05

pandora is my choice. It follows my musical moods very nicely as long as I keep using the like and dislike functions.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Return to Open Topic Discussion