Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The New Era of Oil Renaissance

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby Graeme » Sun 30 Dec 2012, 23:10:26

In a continuation of our series on the state of the oil industry we look at some of the other ramifications of what we are labeling the Oil Renaissance in the US, and around the world for that matter. This phrase was first proposed regarding the potential Nuclear turnaround here in the US, where companies like NRG Energy, Toshiba and many more players all along the supply chain were positioning themselves for the Nuclear Renaissance of cheap, and abundant Nuclear energy for the next 50 years.

The oil industry is much more scalable from a cost standpoint, and once these upfront costs have been committed, the size of the industry and scalability means that projects can continue and be highly profitable even with much lower oil prices.

I previously have thought that this technology would suffer as prices drop, but I am rethinking this assumption with natural gas as my guide in a much less scalable industry. So I now believe that this technology and these projects will continue and be cost effective even with oil dropping to $45 a barrel for both Brent and WTI.

It won`t happen overnight, but under one scenario prices will just steadily trend down like natural gas prices, and before we realize it we have the equivalent of $2 natural gas prices for the oil industry.

The China Factor: Use less Commodities for Next Decade

My assumption about the trajectory of oil prices also relies on the China factor that many analysts have been toying with for the last couple of years, but the IMF and others have done some nice research on and applied some hard numbers to the conceptual idea that China has overinvested for the last decade by a large degree, and most of the previous forecasts for China`s growth trajectory from an infrastructure standpoint for the next 10 years are far too optimistic.

My conclusion is that China will use far less commodities than they did the past decade going forward for the next decade. They are coming into the constraints of large numbers where you have built for the sake of building, and you can no longer build another large new city every year because the demand just isn`t there. Basically, the easy, low hanging fruit has been eaten. Most of the new project benefits will not justify the cost based upon infrastructure constraints, logistical incongruities, and actual demand & societal need for said projects.

So how low can prices go? Let`s just say that the Renaissance in oil is going to be good for the global economy, just back in 2003 gasoline prices were $1.60 a gallon in the US and oil was trading around $30 a barrel.

It is not unreasonable to think if the Oil Renaissance takes the path that it is capable of that Oil globally trades all the way down to the $45 area.

What Price do the Saudi`s Really Need? Need & Want Confused

And those that think that OPEC would need $75 to keep up production, remember that OPEC still kept pumping oil only four years ago with $33 oil in 2008. Furthermore, OPEC countries still need the overall revenue not the price per say.

Accordingly, you could very easily have a scenario where prices go lower and they pump more, violate reduction quotas because they all want the revenue net of volume and price, not just less volume but slightly higher prices.

nasdaq
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: The New Era of Oil Renaissance

Unread postby Pops » Mon 31 Dec 2012, 14:00:15

Not one pundit boosting fracking mentions the decline curve.

I don't know how much it costs to drill and frack a well but the price of oil in the US is now completely dependent on the cost of drilling because flow is almost entirely dependent on new wells.

He says "back in '03 oil was $30" ... back in '03 there was very little drilling because
say it with me...
conventional well opportunities had all dried up!

Oil could get down to $45/bb if wells can be fracked for that price, when they can't, or the sweet spots are drained, that's it, right back up to parity with Brent
or higher.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Mon 31 Dec 2012, 15:11:00

Heh, I can't help it I guess.

He's forecasting $45 oil as if we're heading back to tail fins and 500cid Cadillac Sunday drives LOL.

If the story were just a little different, if the story were, "here is a chance, one last gift that can enable us to push towards true independence." If he were promoting true independence, independence from oil, not the chimera of "foreign" oil, I'd be the biggest promoter of fracking.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 31 Dec 2012, 19:27:44

Is Econmatters crazy? He's predicting an oversupply of oil in 5 years. And a downturn in demand in China. Who knows what can happen during that time!

Here's another analyst formerly from IEA who predicts the opposite!

Olivier Rech developed petroleum scenarios for the International Energy Agency over a three year period, up until 2009. This French economist now advises large investment funds on behalf of La Française AM, a Parisian assets management firm. His forecasts for future petroleum production are now much more pessimistic than those published by the IEA. He expects stronger tensions as of 2013, and an inevitable overall decline of oil production "somewhere between 2015 and 2020", in the following interview.

theoildrum

I think I prefer the latter.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Peak Oil Discussion