Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Road Tax

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Road Tax

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Mon 07 Jan 2013, 22:07:47

Just thought some would find interesting.

The New Way to Tax: Pay Per Mile Driven
Blame it on the double whammy of a recession prompting people to drive less, which means they are filling up less often. On top of that, Americans are increasingly driving more fuel efficient vehicles, including hybrids, which means people make fewer trips to the gas station. According to the University of Michigan, the average fuel economy for a new vehicle sold in 2012 was 23.8 MPG, an all-time high.
I'd rather be the killer than the victim.
The Money Badger don't care. Sucks to be poor!
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Road Tax

Unread postby topcat » Tue 08 Jan 2013, 13:13:59

So, now does everyone start to understand why one of the reasons most cars are coming out with 'On-Star' (which still transmits even if you do not subscribe to the service)?
"No workey, no beef jerkey." TC

"Home is where the hot dogs are." TC
topcat
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Road Tax

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Sun 20 Jan 2013, 13:45:51

You know, a sensible road tax policy would include making the truckers pay their fair share of the road wear. The average 18-wheeler literally accounts for thousands of times more road wear than even a Hummer, yet the 18-wheelers pay proportionally nowhere near the same amount. I don't think it is fair for me to have to subsidize their share of the road use while also requiring my privacy to be violated to accommodate this subsidy.

If 18-wheelers had to pay their fair share, we'd actually see an re-emergence of vastly more efficient solutions to ship our goods, such as rail.
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to North America Discussion