Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Still unsure of Peak Oil implications? watch this

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Still unsure of Peak Oil implications? watch this

Unread postby poaecdotcom » Wed 06 Mar 2013, 16:47:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wI42sbcFwY

Every upward move of the stock symbol ticker is essentially a statement that “WE DON’T UNDERSTAND THE EXPONENTIAL FUNCTION AND CAN FLAUNT THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS INDEFINITELY”.
Peak Oil and Economic Contraction
How ready are you for Peak Oil??

http://http://poaec.blogspot.com//
poaecdotcom
Wood
Wood

Re: Still unsure of Peak Oil implications? watch this

Unread postby Cloud9 » Wed 06 Mar 2013, 21:10:29

I like this one. Our solutions are local.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Buddy_J » Wed 06 Mar 2013, 22:22:44

poaecdotcom wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wI42sbcFwY

Every upward move of the stock symbol ticker is essentially a statement that “WE DON’T UNDERSTAND THE EXPONENTIAL FUNCTION AND CAN FLAUNT THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS INDEFINITELY”.

Well now that is a bit of a general statement. You can't flaunt the laws of thermodynamics (mostly they are just misunderstood), and exponential functions are great because they explain things like the growth in oil consumption until peak, and now the growth in electrical generation from windmills, natural gas fired generation, and installed solar and whatnot.
Buddy_J
Peat
Peat

Unread postby poaecdotcom » Wed 06 Mar 2013, 23:55:55

Disregard might have been better but you can basically flaunt anything:

Definition of FLAUNT
transitive verb
1: to display ostentatiously or impudently : parade <flaunting his superiority>
2: to treat contemptuously <flaunted the rules >

Of course you cannot break the Laws of Thermodynamics, at least to our understanding.....

As a mathematician, I stand by this:

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function."
(Albert Bartlett, Professor Emeritus of Physics, University of Colorado at Boulder)

poaecdotcom
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 07 Mar 2013, 00:16:28

poaecdotcom wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wI42sbcFwY

Flout.
grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/flout-versus-flaunt.aspx
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Thu 07 Mar 2013, 09:18:40

Excellent presentation. Good overview which covers many major fallacies as outlined by Marteneson and others. All this in a short sharp presentation of less than 1/4 hour which IMHO gets to the nub of the issues.

If author permits it's just what I was needing for a meeting I may be attending soon.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby poaecdotcom » Thu 07 Mar 2013, 11:27:22

Quinny wrote:Excellent presentation. Good overview which covers many major fallacies as outlined by Marteneson and others. All this in a short sharp presentation of less than 1/4 hour which IMHO gets to the nub of the issues.

If author permits it's just what I was needing for a meeting I may be attending soon.

thx for asking, yes, do as you wish as this video is public property now

poaecdotcom
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Aaron » Thu 07 Mar 2013, 14:27:14

pstarr wrote:One of the best I seen, though a bit outdated without inclusion of the shale-oil bubble. The "Red Queen" reference (running to stay in place) would have been timely. Otherwise, the presentation is factually correct, professionally produced, and lively in content and form. And quite useless. Few care and it is too late to localize a world economy that we all depend to maintain our own local, regional economies and biospheres. Sad really.

Hey pstar... boo!

It is sad... but maybe it's a kind of common "right of passage" thing for any species that enters it's Technology/Information Age? A kind of evolutionary litmus test all life must overcome or perish trying.

So in a wierd way, we may be right on time here.

\ That would sound optimistic if not for the extinction thing.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Pops » Thu 07 Mar 2013, 17:05:10

A!

--
@12:30
"all debt is backed by nothing but future energy dependent growth"

Maybe, but at least "future energy dependent BAU" Either way when energy declines the market will take a big bath, kind of a "drown it in the bathtub" kind of bath.

Made me laugh when I saw a story today about the stock market being so optimistic while everything and everyone else is not so much. Twice in that story the stock market's over exuberance was explained by saying it is a "leading indicator". And twice, how the market hasn't been this high since 2007...

The market is a leading indicator... it was last this high ... back, oh... just before the crash of 08...
get it?

Obviously Forbes didn't, the author being so enthralled by the prescience of the market that he couldn't see the contradiction.

That is how it is with everyone but doomers who expect collapse around every corner, some historians and maybe a few really old farts who've actually seen things fall apart or remember what it was like before a Tiger in yer Tank.

Anyway, nice presentation ace.

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 08 Mar 2013, 16:29:11

poaecdotcom wrote:Every upward move of the stock symbol ticker is essentially a statement that “WE DON’T UNDERSTAND THE EXPONENTIAL FUNCTION AND CAN FLAUNT THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS INDEFINITELY”.

Disagree entirely. It *might* be true if the dollar valuation of the economy as a whole were fixed, but its not. It *might* be true if the dollar had a fixed value, but it doesn't. It might be true if the number of dollars in circulation were fixed, or tied to an impartial indicator of real assets, but its not.

Seeing as how none of those are even close to true, it should not surprise anyone that the stock markets would show gains as denominated in US$ even when the economy itself is slowly powering down. Trust me, they can print dollars electronically much faster than the oil supplies will wind down; thus more dollars used, consuming less energy, thus expanding dollar valued economy delivering less wealth and fewer assets.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby poaecdotcom » Fri 08 Mar 2013, 17:25:47

My argument is laid out in full in the vid but essentially it is that the economy is more and more detached from the fundamental Laws. The upward Dow ticks are deluding society into thinking we are aok, when in reality it is simply Uncle Ben’s printing.Your (Agent R11) points only underline my intention in showing that the stock price movements are now due more to rabid printing than to reality.

Let me put it you another, perhaps less dramatic way:

If you clearly understand the exponential function and how net energy plays a driving role in our economy, would you invest in the stock market?!!
Last edited by poaecdotcom on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 18:36:13, edited 1 time in total.

poaecdotcom
Wood
Wood

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 08 Mar 2013, 17:46:15

poaecdotcom wrote:If you clearly understand the exponential function and how energy plays a driving role in our economy, would you invest in the stock market?!!

Absolutely. And I'll make you a counter argument, if you select companies whose book valuation is primarily real assets and customarily provides a dividend payment, there is no safer place to put your wealth if you are concerned about preserving purchasing power for as long as the US government wields power. Now, this does acknowledge the "exponential function effect" in that the goal is no longer hunting for the greatest return, but rather, hunting for the ability to purchase equivalent goods ten years from now, as you can do today.

The stock market is really the last place where the long term, real inflator has more power than the FR set discount rate.

You do have to suffer the ups&down jitters though, which can be nerve racking if you're "all in" and worried about what your cash position might be next week or next month.

All that said, my hunch is that now is a bad time to buy; I think a lot of stuff is overvalued even given the effect of the real inflator. Its too many dollars chasing stocks instead of bonds and cash account balances. Need a correction to shake out the folks that buy in the frenzy and sell into a crash. I'd wait till some stuff goes on sale.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 21 Sep 2013, 10:37:53

Bumping this as the subject again is being chattered about in the MSM, plus it's OP's poster has been very patiently in the sidelines a lot lately- and it looks like the beginning of a discussion worth having- :)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Peak Oil Discussion