Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Getting a rig job

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Getting a rig job

Unread postby Stratovarius » Sat 23 Mar 2013, 22:38:17

I was wondering if anyone here has experience on an oil rig, specifically getting an entry level position. I have no relevant experience or skills, 22 years old, live in Texas. I'm interested in a roustabout position doing maintenance and whatever else I can do. I am willing and capable of relocating anywhere in the US or Canada.

Searching online has proved fruitless, lots of shady sites that look like scams asking for money.

My resume is terrible, I've dropped in and out of a few things pretty sporadically, I feel like I wouldn't hire myself (based solely on looking at a resume) which is discouraging.

The only thing really relevant at all is living and working on an organic farm for 6 months for no pay, just food and a place to sleep (an air mattress in a building with no AC... long story). So I'm acquainted with physical labor and discomfort at least. I've been powerlifting for 2 years and could easily move around heavy loads, no problem.

What should I do? Should I just send out a meager resume to as many places as possible? How do I find those places? I've thought about showing up in person to one of these HR places.

I've read that having things like a CDL, safety training etc. can set you apart but those things are not cheap at all.

I am very serious about doing this.
Stratovarius
Coal
Coal

Re: Getting a rig job

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sun 24 Mar 2013, 16:33:05

Good luck in your job quest.

Even though your work experience may be limited, emphasize other job qualities such as punctuality, dedication, ability to work well with others, willingness to learn, etc. I sure other readers could add to the list of good job qualifications that may not be job-specific for what your currently looking for, but are what employers look for nevertheless, no matter what your previous employment experiences have been.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion