Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Re: How likely is it that there is an 'afterlife'?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Unread postby Whitefang » Mon 01 Apr 2013, 04:45:27

I have no info on credible scientists making things clear but instead you can help yourself to see through this description of our own internal dialogue that we call the world from a to z.
Walk long stretches and gaze at point on horizon or look from your feet up and back again, keep fingers a bit bend. As you flood your body with info you get silent and that accumulates somewhere inside you until you reach a threshold and the world collapses, you see energy directly.
At that point you have reached your energy body, the reason we live is to learn to handle it, a rebirth and to go see what can be done. This world we speak of is not as real or important, everything is an internal affair.
It is but a description of something real, energy first. A base from which to jump into the unknown.

As you learn to safe personal power you can learn to forge your energy body into a copy of your physical one and be aware of your two lives lived simultaniously, your death means meeting up with both and turning yourself into a high speed inorganic being, immortal.
Not to seek the spirit is to seek death which is nothing.
The Don Juan of Carlos C explained things better........................the thing is you have to do, act.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 13:16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Open Forum-Not suitable for Current Events Forum.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 01 Apr 2013, 08:34:16

Maybe we should 1st know the truth about our origins?
vision-master

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 01 Apr 2013, 08:42:08

jamewages wrote:Are there any credible scientists who believe that some form of life after death is possible?

Credible scientists can 'believe' in lots of stuff - what they believe is irrelevant. The question is, can they scientifically show evidence that their beliefs have a scientific basis. So far, there is no evidence whatsoever for life after death.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 01 Apr 2013, 09:22:39

y are U Here?

Scientific Reincarnation Evidence by Dr Ian Stevenson

The truth of the matter is.......we are all eternal spirits in current physical form. :)

Let me ask you this, prove this place here really exists? Go out in the bush were ppl have NO internet access and never heard, seen or experienced the 'internet' - prove to them this place really exists? :)
vision-master

Unread postby diemos » Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:40:54

It's easy to know what it will be like after you die,
just think back to what it was like before you were conceived and there's your answer.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:56:34

There lies the problem, we are a species with amnesia. Little children many times remember past lives and have great physic abilities, but soon forget.
vision-master

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 01 Apr 2013, 12:05:54

So, we have folks wandering about to find our 'energy bodies', 'eternal spirits in physical form' and our lack of knowledge about the afterlife being the result of 'amnesia'.

It didn't take long for this thread to devolve into nutty fantasy and silliness.

I'd better get my tinfoil hat.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 02 Apr 2013, 01:33:25

I thought humans figured out the problem with this problem like several centuries ago.

Science can neither prove, nor disprove spiritual axioms such as Divinity, afterlife, etc. The concept of "likely" is just a linguistic statement of probability; which in a context of something that you have no ability to measure, is pointless speculation.

Faith is faith.
If it were provable or measurable, it would not be faith.

I do believe that there is Divinity and afterlife. I do not believe that I have sufficient understanding to have expectations as to what the nature of afterlife is or what it means. In the context of my faith, I have a framework for relating to spiritual matters, and that is sufficient to inform the actions I might take within the physical world. It is enough.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jupiters_release » Tue 02 Apr 2013, 19:58:42

Well it's only within the past century science has in fact proven divinity, the quantum nature of reality. But I think the real question is "How bad (devoid of divinity) must one's life be where an afterlife must be considered, desired, contemplated, yearned for?"
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Wed 03 Apr 2013, 00:42:04

The tone of the question sounds more passive aggressive judgmental, as opposed to searching for truth. Kinda a "when did you stop beating your wife" type.

One's need or lack there of, or even desire for, has no relevance to the question of whether there is a spiritual existence after physical death. It will or will not exist regardless of my, or your preference.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jupiters_release » Thu 04 Apr 2013, 02:28:14

The keep the analogy fair, the question should be "when will you stop beating your wife." :|
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby aldente » Fri 14 Jun 2013, 15:54:37

Hey Jupiter don't spoil the train of thought - the question is simply "what is Death"? and "if" we are mortal (which most of us assume we are)- what are the consequences of our activities and thoughts during our livetime, wittingly or unwittingly (a secondary train of thought).

My take is as simple and pragmatig as Jupiters comment -: Take life it as it presents itself!

aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pops » Fri 14 Jun 2013, 16:15:45

The idea is, if there is any chance there is an afterlife and that it follows there is a hell, the smart money will go for "belief" because the trade off of a short "believers's" life (whatever that is) vs an eternity in hell is a good bet.

Sorta the same rational as reducing greenhouse gasses is worthwhile because even a remote possibility that GCC could be as bad as predicted is bad.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Rune » Fri 14 Jun 2013, 19:10:59

vision-master wrote:y are U Here?

Scientific Reincarnation Evidence by Dr Ian Stevenson

The truth of the matter is.......we are all eternal spirits in current physical form. :)

What a coincidence to see this here. I just read the book Life Before Life: A Scientific Investigation of Childrens Memories of Previous Lives by Dr. Jim Tucker, a researcher who worked with Dr. Ian Stevenson for many years.

Don't laugh. It's quite compelling. Even the likes of Carl Sagan admitted that this evidence is a compelling mystery worth investigating.

The Department of Personality Studies at the University of Virginia was co-founded by Dr. Ian Stevenson, PhD Psychiatrist with many published papers in the conventional domain. But this department also continues to study cases of children remembering previous lives where the details of what these kids say can sometimes be traces with definitive accuracy to actual people who lived and died prior to the childrens' births.

The book treats the subject in a totally scientific vein. It is not some sort of mystical treatise which you might naturally have trouble believing.

It cost me $9 bucks to download to my tablet. Definitely worth reading. No shit.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby aldente » Fri 14 Jun 2013, 20:48:46

aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 14 Jun 2013, 20:51:42

I agree with the sentiment that this life is so full, so complete with so much wonder and unknowns that I barely have any reserves in the mystery department to even contemplate on a hereafter.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Fri 14 Jun 2013, 21:41:51

Former Atheist near death experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTU7MfOgDKM

Worth the watch!
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Narz » Fri 14 Jun 2013, 21:54:49

I'd love to believe in an afterlife, it's a very comforting thought but it seems pretty unlikely, all the evidence points to that who we are is fatally connected to our brain/nervous system & that when that system dies we die as well, forever.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Rune » Sat 15 Jun 2013, 17:07:05

Repent wrote:Former Atheist near death experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTU7MfOgDKM

Worth the watch!

Well, the first part of it was compelling but then it just turned into pure Christian evangelism. And that guy IS a Christian Evangelist now. Lots of money in that.

They are turning his NDE into a movie called The Perfect Wave starring Clint EastwoodLs son Scott, Cheryl Ladd and a foxy chick named Rachel. You can just smell the consumerism popping off of it. Yeah, lots of money in all that.

Mostly, that whole thing amounted to a video hypnosis piece.

I never could figure out why belief is so important to the Christians. The world is the way it is whether or not you believe it. The sun is the sun, the moon is the moon, the wind is the wind, and if there is a God and an afterlife it either is or it isn't and is doesn't make any difference whether you believe it or not.

Why the hell should the creator of everything give a rat's ass whether it is believed in by humans or not? The nature of reality is for us to figure out slowly but surely through science, trial and error and whatnot.

Given the Christian and insistence on belief, I can readily understand the continual persecution of the Jews throughout history - since they do not believe in this conduit to God and Heaven called Jesus Christ. Apparently, all those spritually committed buddhists practicing compassion right thought, right action, etc. are all heathens simply because they do not believe.

Sounds like a crock to me.

What I found so interesting about Life Before Life: A Scientific Investigation Of Children's Memories Of Previous Lives is you don't have to believe anything. These are just scientists and curious people investigating a phenomenon that remains unexplained.

I only believe in The Moon - everything else has varying degrees of uncertainty. and I say that like a joke.

Science, as a systematic ethic, has done the world's peoples the most "good" of any previous belief system. And Science is basically predicated on Unbelief until proven or demonstrated otherwise

- Unless you hate humanity in general and consider it a blight upon the untrammeled Earth of previous unthinking eons.But without human nbeings, you would not have any spiritual wonderment whatsoever. And you certiainly wouldn't have any awareness, consciousness, or science either.

No one was there to see, experience and comprehend the untrammeled beauty the dinosaurs inhabited.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:07:54

jupiters_release wrote:Well it's only within the past century science has in fact proven divinity, the quantum nature of reality. But I think the real question is "How bad (devoid of divinity) must one's life be where an afterlife must be considered, desired, contemplated, yearned for?"

That's very close to the point. The point being that eternal life begins now, not after death. The implied challenge behind that is to become now what can be considered eternal. God is not, therefore, against reason. The very same ethics someone deep in the Spirit would display are found as the result of reasoning. Hence, it is also impossible to distinguish, short of the miraculous, between our own thoughts and the voice of God in our lives.

Why seek the eternal God when part of that is not also an assessment of your own character? Can you possibly know God if you cannot be completely honest with yourself? It is very easy to claim religion, harder to be a person of God. It is very easy to criticize others, harder to point the finger at ourselves.

As for proof? What place does proof have when once it comes doubt simply moves the bar a little higher? And with doubt many more reasons to act outside of the character you can have.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion