Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

People care about source of money

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

People care about source of money

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 22:51:54

People care about source of money, attach less value to 'tainted' wealth

It's no accident that money obtained through dishonest or illegal means is called "dirty money." A new study from the University of California, Berkeley, suggests that when people perceive money as morally tainted, they also view it as having less value and purchasing power.

Challenging the belief that "all money is green," and that people will cross ethical boundaries to amass it, social scientists from UC Berkeley and Stanford University have found compelling evidence that the source of wealth really does matter. In fact, some people avoid ill-gotten gains – such as profits from unfair labor practices or insider trading – for fear of "moral contagion," according to a paper published this week in the online issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science.

"Our work suggests morality is an important force shaping economic decision-making," said Jennifer Stellar, a doctoral student in psychology and lead author of the study. "Though we often think $50 is $50, these results demonstrate that when money takes on negative moral associations, its value is diminished."
The findings help explain the psychology behind such economic trends as socially responsible investing and the boycotting of sweatshop-produced goods. They also shed some light on why companies go to great lengths to avoid the perception that they are accepting money from corrupt investors or are themselves profiting from illegal or unethical practices, researchers said.

"People possess powerful motivations to view themselves as fundamentally good and moral," said Robb Willer, associate professor of sociology at Stanford University and co-author of the paper. "We find this motivation is so great that it can even lead people to disassociate themselves from money that has acquired negative moral associations."

The first experiment involved 59 college-age participants who were told they could enter a raffle for a $50 cash prize sponsored by one of two corporations. They were then split into an "immoral money" group and a "neutral money" group.

phys.org
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: People care about source of money

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 23:46:52

Someone once offered my wife and I a 'debt consolidation loan' about ten years ago; IF we agreed to put a minimum of $100.00 a month into their mutual fund. The investment agent came to the house and outlined the package.

I asked them the degree of control we would have over the fund, and they indicated that 'experts will maximize investment returns'. So no control at all. I told them I would only want to invest in Ethical funds; I.e. no defense, no clear cut forestry firms, ect. and they said 'We don't have anything like that! The woman looked mystified and said that the only important factor is the rate of return'.

We turned the offer down. Obtaining money ethically is important; I would be unable to sleep at night knowing funds I have contributed to would be used for evil means. Making bombs, destroying ecosystems, ect. All simply to maximize return without conscience. The investment agent was mystified by these concerns and left.

Recently I have become much more careful with how I spend the money I have as well. Every dollar spent is like a minor vote for whom should do what, and how things should be done. While it’s impossible to have no negative impact on the world, choices still exist, I'm finding it’s important to be careful with what you buy and who you buy it from.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Narz » Wed 24 Apr 2013, 15:06:17

Some people care it's true but at the end of the day bill collectors & banks & businesses don't care where your money came from. When you pay for gas or groceiries no one's going to grill you about where your dollar bills came from.

People care (some of them & when they know they have other choices) but the system itself & those who run it don't care and likewise the people at the bottom of the barrel can't afford to care. You think 14-year old prostitutes Bangladesh think, "OMG this is wrong, I should stop doing it"? It's all dirty money when it goes around enough.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Wed 24 Apr 2013, 19:01:05

Trouble is Repent all our minor votes are less than a pimple on a flea on an Elephants bum when compared to the top 1%.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 24 Apr 2013, 19:02:43

Narz wrote:You think 14-year old prostitutes Bangladesh think, "OMG this is wrong, I should stop doing it"? It's all dirty money when it goes around enough.
I think most booze sales are to alcoholics. Where did John McCain's money come from?

Just one example that comes to mind.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Economics & Finance