Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Where It’s a Crime to be an Oil Company

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 07 May 2013, 19:25:10

The capitalist press was thrilled last week to report the approach of a magical threshold. The Dow Jones Industrial Average soared past 15,000 and newspapers across the country saw it as a sign of resiliency and recovery. “It’s a giddy time to be an investor,” sangThe New York Times. Meanwhile, at the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii, researchers were charting the approach of a far different, though linked, milestone. According to recent data, the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will peak this month above 400 parts per million (ppm). Scientists see it as an alarming trend. “At this pace,” said climate scientist Ralph Keeling “we’ll hit 450 ppm within a few decades.” If Keeling is right, in the decades to come we’ll be as far above livable levels of atmospheric CO2 than we were once below it.

Spiking levels of CO2 in the atmosphere are, of course, a consequence of the burning of fossil fuels. So it’s no surprise that as globalCO2 emissions storm past frightening thresholds, so too do the profits of the world’s largest oil companies. The combined windfall of BP, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil, and Royal Dutch Shell reached a new record of nearly $140 billion in profits in 2011. In the first half of 2012, they earned an average of nearly $350 million each day. Are these profits bankrolling investments in clean energy alternatives? Not a chance. The Big 5 plowed nearly a third of 2012 profits into stock buy-back plans that further enriched shareholders. Much of the rest was spent on new fossil-fuel infrastructure, ballooning executive salaries and lobbying efforts that continue to pay off in weakened environmental regulations.

And so as their Dow Jones value heats up, so does the atmosphere. Global emissions of CO2 exceeded 35 billion tons in 2012, a record increase over 2011’s record increase.

Despite the frightening prospects of a warming climate to human and non-human life on the planet, the Obama administration, like every U.S. administration before it, favors economic growth at all cost.

Despite the fact that the U.S. federal government, or any other national government in the world today for that matter, refuses to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in any significant way, there appears still the possibility that government may yet do something meaningful. But it just might be the government you least expect.

Enter tiny Mora County, in northern New Mexico, which last week made it a crime to be an oil company.

The language of the “Mora County Community Water Rights and Local Self-Government Ordinance” begins by recognizing Mora County as “a multi-cultural community with indigenous roots.” It then acknowledges its obligation to protect “the Earth, water, and air as a source of life for all living.” For this reason, the County Commission refused to sacrifice “the present and the future” to oil company profits and the “at-risk exploitation and pollution of the Earth, water and air” that follows from those profits.

“It shall be unlawful,” continues the ordinance, the only one of its kind in the U.S. “for any corporation to engage in the extraction of oil, natural gas, or other hydrocarbons within Mora County.”

Amid the necessary legalese and technical terminology of the ordinance, there can also be found an arresting section (Section 3.6) titled “La Querencia de la Tierra,” a phrase the ordinance defines as “the loving respect which Mora County residents have towards the land and Earth, which is rooted in our indigenous worldview—the Earth is living and holy, is the habitat that sustains us, and is composed of all natural & living systems, flora and fauna – interrelated, interdependent and complementary – which share our common destiny: The right to live free from contamination.”

counterpunch
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Where It’s a Crime to be an Oil Company

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 07 May 2013, 21:09:20

$350 million into 50 odd million barrels, what $7 profit per barrel? That's pretty benevolent aint it?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 07 May 2013, 21:54:47

Considering that this comes at an exorbitant cost. Polluters will have to pay. Or like in Mora County, they can be banned altogether.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 08 May 2013, 12:09:04

I would be much more impressed with the 4,800 residents of Mora County if they banned the sale of all fossil fuels in the county. Otherwise they are essentially casting a vote against developing ff resources…not against their consumption. And it is the consumption of ff’s that create almost all of the environmental problems folks are projecting from AGW.

IOW they aren’t against their contribution to AGW. Probably doesn’t matter much: I can’t find any indication there is any ff potential in that county. Makes we wonder though: what if the gasoline/diesel retailers were to ban the sale of those products in the county, in an effort to reduce CO2 production, how those folks would react. As best as I can tell all the pollution currently coming out of Mora County is being created by its citizens.

IOW it’s easy to throw yourself on that grenade when you know it’s a practice dummy. A bit different when you have skin in the game. Reminds me of a certificate of appreciation I got in the mail back in the late 70’s. A group got together to ban drilling in Long island Sound, NY. Mailed them my $5 donation. Proudly hung it in my office at Mobil Oil next to a cross section showing the LIS was underlain by igneous rocks. This was probably one on the most successful environmental efforts of all time. Even with current high oil prices no company is trying to drill a well out there. The cynical side of me always wondered if this wasn’t just some scam to take advantage of panicked New Yorkers. Other than spending a few cents for the certificates all the rest of the donations were pure profit for the group.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Oily Stuff » Wed 08 May 2013, 12:38:58

I desperately cling to the absurd notion that the oil and natural gas I produce is a contribution to my society and to the energy future of my country. I sell every drop I produce and I assume it gets used up; there seems to always be a willing buyer somewhere. Lord knows I did not make the stuff 45 million years ago, I just get it out of the ground. I know most people loathe me for it but to think I might be breaking the law? Lord.

If I am off to prison would that be hard time I face or a country club kind of thing? Come to think of it some rest sounds kinda nice, really.
Oily Stuff
Peat
Peat

Return to Peak Oil Discussion