Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Kermit Gosnell Convicted on 3 counts

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Kermit Gosnell Convicted on 3 counts

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 13 May 2013, 16:47:55

Kermit Gosnell, Philadelphia abortion provider has been found guilty on three counts of first degree murder for killing babies born alive during late term abortions.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/jur ... 03698.html

The 72-year-old was charged with killing four premature babies by severing their spinal cords after they were born alive in his Philadelphia clinic. He was acquitted of one of those charges and convicted in three. Gosnell was also found guilty in the accidental death of a patient who died after receiving an abortion and a lethal mix of sedatives and painkillers at his clinic.

Gosnell's lawyers argued during the trial that no babies were born alive in the clinic.

A 2010 federal investigation described the West Philadelphia clinic as a filthy "house of horrors" that primarily served low-income women seeking late-term abortions. The nearly 300-page grand jury report said remains of fetuses were stored in freezers and that instruments used in abortions were contaminated with sexually transmitted diseases.

Gosnell faced hundreds of lesser charges, including employing a minor in his clinic and violating the state's 24-hour waiting period for abortions. He was also charged with performing abortions on women who were more than 24 weeks pregnant, which is illegal in the state. Gosnell's wife, a cosmetologist who helped perform the abortions, was among four of the clinic's employees who also pleaded guilty to several charges.

Earlier on Monday, jurors said they were deadlocked on two of the charges against Gosnell. They resumed deliberating and reached a decision early in the afternoon. CNN reported that the prosecutor in the case cried when the verdict was read Monday afternoon.

The trial has stoked debate over late-term abortions in the country. Pro-abortion rights groups say Gosnell was an outlier breaking numerous laws and regulations, while the anti-abortion rights movement has used the case to advocate for more state-level abortion restrictions.

“The greatest tragedy is that Kermit Gosnell is not alone. Exploitation of women and complete disregard for their health and well-being are problems endemic to the entire abortion industry,” said Marjorie Dannenfelser, the president of the anti-abortion group SBA-List, in a statement.

Ilyse Hogue, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, said Gosnell will "get what he deserves" now that he's been found guilty.

"Now, let's make sure these women are vindicated by delivering what all women deserve: Access to the full range of health services including safe, high-quality and legal abortion care,” she said in a statement.

The case revealed that abortion clinics in the state hadn't been routinely inspected in 15 years, prompting the resignation of two top health department officials.

--The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright 2013 The Lookout
Copyright © 2013 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. | Yahoo! - ABC News Network |
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kermit Gosnell Convicted on 3 counts

Unread postby Pops » Mon 13 May 2013, 22:33:36

This has always been a story about illegal abortion, a phrase that appears over and over in the Gosnell Grand Jury report. It’s about what women will subject themselves to when they see no other option for ending an unwanted pregnancy. It’s about the appalling lack of health care for poor women in this country, especially when it comes to abortion, which, thanks to the Hyde Amendment, isn’t covered by Medicaid. It’s about murdered babies from pregnancies that never should have gone as far as they did.

The Grand Jury report is clear about why women went to his grotesque facility, a place with bloodstained furniture that reeked of cat urine. Gosnell performed abortions on minors who felt they couldn’t get parental consent and on those who didn’t want to comply with Pennsylvania’s 24-hour-waiting period. “Too young? No problem. Didn’t want to wait? Gosnell provided same-day service,” the report says. He preyed on poor women who were willing to accept terrible treatment because they couldn’t afford anything better. “He treated his patients with condescension—slapping them, providing abysmal care, and often refusing even to see or talk to them—unless they were Caucasian, or had money,” says the report.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... erate.html

Just found out that I'm gonna be a great-grandfather! Pretty crazy. I don't "believe" in abortion, I wouldn't want to not have any of our kids and grandkids - or great grand kids.

But neither do I believe in making abortion so difficult is forces poor women into the shadows to ghouls like this. If Daddy has money he can always find a cooperative doctor even if it means Sissy takes a european tour for a couple of months, but these girls didn't have that luxury.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 14 May 2013, 07:04:41

The thing that disgusts me most is the State of PA admits his facility was written up for health violations 15 years ago but never reinspected to make sure it was brought up to code. Clearly the state agencies didn't care any more about the patients than the provider did. It is a worrisome sign, if everyone has the same level of minimal care under state mandated health inspections and it is this bad then going to any medical facility puts you at risk of cross infection from other patients or from the staff.

The records also say he was charging $1,300.00 to each of his poor patients and doing multiple procedures per day. I won't believe he could not afford to keep his facility spotlessly clean and sanitary while raking in that sort of cash, he just didn't care.

If you can't trust the state inspection system and you can't trust the provider the only thing left is to learn for yourself what is or is not safe and follow your own knowledge.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 05 Oct 2018, 17:10:58

Five years later they made a movie, just heard the ad on the radio so I looked it up.

Gosnell: The Trial of America’s Biggest Serial Killer reviewed

https://spectator.us/2018/10/gosnell-abortion/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 05 Oct 2018, 18:01:29

Tanada wrote:If you can't trust the state inspection system and you can't trust the provider the only thing left is to learn for yourself what is or is not safe and follow your own knowledge.

Sure, and well educated people will generally do that for most if not all key aspects of their lives.

But poor people often lack the knowledge, the resources, and/or the inclination to get informed. This is why they are so frequently taken advantage of by pretty much every industry which wants to make a profit.

I don't know what the answer is. But I think it's pretty horrific that the far right conservatives generally both want to ban abortion AND don't want to support any government resources to help protect the unwanted kids (and their mothers), if abortion is illegal.

When those two ideologies are put together in practice, it just doesn't work.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby tmazanec1 » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 11:09:50

I say outlaw abortion and provide for the children, so I just have one of those ideologies. That’s why I left the Republican Party.
tmazanec1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 11:28:15

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Tanada wrote:If you can't trust the state inspection system and you can't trust the provider the only thing left is to learn for yourself what is or is not safe and follow your own knowledge.

Sure, and well educated people will generally do that for most if not all key aspects of their lives.

But poor people often lack the knowledge, the resources, and/or the inclination to get informed. This is why they are so frequently taken advantage of by pretty much every industry which wants to make a profit.

I don't know what the answer is. But I think it's pretty horrific that the far right conservatives generally both want to ban abortion AND don't want to support any government resources to help protect the unwanted kids (and their mothers), if abortion is illegal.

When those two ideologies are put together in practice, it just doesn't work.

Poor people also tend to get duped by package size. If you are rich you can afford to buy only what you need, as you need it. Otherwise, things are cheaper in bulk. The poor are very well understood by marketers. But, then, they don't always have space. That can be the reason for their actions, not something else which a marketer thinks they understand about a group of people.

Similarly, the right may think it has these people well within its grasp. They keep them in this catch 22. But there must be things outside of what they think they understand about the poor that might change their attitudes toward such things as abortion. Can the introduction of more obvious and certain opportunity change the calculus women use when they evaluate whether to have that child they are considering outside of having secured a future for it? Maybe there is a type of opportunity that can be developed and supported which has a wide range of choices over spare time and schedules, which women considering having children need to consider? Like all kinds of single issue topics, though, the real crux of the issue is about sharing power with the great unwashed and poor, who don't understand economics the way the right does.

The right plays upon these women's desire to have children, among other basic drives. Many of them are also Catholic. Neither of those things are incompatible with living the kind of free life that most people only want for themselves once they've grown up some. But a person has to have enough time in their lives to build upon whatever opportunity they have discovered. That means planning and saving. They are incompatible, if they completely subsume a woman's self, even to herself, causing untoward delay and lack of ability, therefore, to capitalize upon opportunity.

A great portion of the support the right enjoys over this issue is due to the very catch 22 these women have to live with. They are probably the most true believers. Take away that pressure, and that support may waver in proportion.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Medical Issues Forum