Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What If: 2016 The Oil Runs Out?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

What If: 2016 The Oil Runs Out?

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 14 May 2013, 11:38:34

I saw this presentation when if came out but until now I have not seen it rebroadcast anywhere. Now someone has put it up on Youtube so anyone who hasn't seen it take a good look, it is well worth the 45 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBkp0J5Oj30

I think anyone with a friend or family member who thinks Peak Oil advocates are crazy might find this a useful way to break the ice.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What If: 2016 The Oil Runs Out?

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Tue 14 May 2013, 11:55:56

I think they had one of these what if a comet strikes, ore what if there's a deadly plauge, entertaining but that's about it. If if's and butts were candy and nuts...
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Beery1 » Tue 14 May 2013, 15:03:54

I'm certain that peak oil is a reality, but even I think the prospect of oil completely disappearing in 2016 (or even 2050) is ridiculous. This scenario is never EVER going to happen. It is fantasy.

Interestingly, much of what's in it is factual, but it's ruined by this ridiculous premise that all the world's oil would just magically disappear. If they had based it on any even marginally realistic premise, it could have been great, but as it is, it's just plain stupid.
Last edited by Beery1 on Tue 14 May 2013, 16:01:20, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 14 May 2013, 15:49:27

Beery1 wrote:I'm certain that peak oil is a reality, but even I think the prospect of oil completely disappearing in 2016 (or even 2050) is ridiculous. This scenario is never EVER going to happen. It is fantasy.

If you watch the docudrama at the link it is actually making the case that oil will peak in 2016 and efforts to find enough oil for marginal uses will fail. The thread title is what I got from reading the Youtube title and then switching the wondow over here so I could post it, I probably typed it wrong. The drama takes place in Minneapolis, MN where it shows the 'average' life of a truck driver and his wife with side bars showing their daughter, an exploration petroleum geologist drilling the first well in ANWR. I think the portrayal of how people will blame everyone but themselves for the shortages shown is spot on, I remember exactly that happening when I was a kid in the 1970's. Hoarding, gas lines, fighting over pump space, it all fits in well with what I think could easily happen.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Beery1 » Tue 14 May 2013, 16:05:27

Oh sorry, I got confused. Thread title threw me. The opening is very similar to Aftermath: World Without Oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyEGnMa9MyM

I thought it was that show.

Yeah, this one is pretty good. Terrible acting in some places, but it's reasonable.

Mega Disasters: Oil Apocalypse is another reasonably good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWsjjZ4nKvM
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Econ101 » Sun 19 May 2013, 16:43:40

Fear propaganda? Did they show the North Dakota oil production charts? I didnt see it. 8)
Econ101
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby evilgenius » Thu 23 May 2013, 13:43:07

The natural gas boom will certainly disrupt the timing of the oil run down, but it won't curtail it. It'll also introduce the complexity of vehicle fuel source changeover. In some areas of the US, for instance, that might be easy. In some areas it might be really hard.

I've already talked to a few people who wanted to go nat gas for their next vehicle who decided not to because of the limited availability of stations. It's hard to just switch. All electric is worse.

If the US has that sort of trouble imagine what the third world will go through. Capitalism will drop them off, like leaving the kids at the pool!
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 26 May 2013, 11:09:49

Here's a link to what some people thought the year 2016 would look like. (From the 1980's):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo0uTu2uLtI
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sun 26 May 2013, 11:48:30

I think 2016-17 is a good approximation of when the jig is finally up. Following the thinking of opinions from such divergent groups as Richard Heinberg, Post Carbon Institute, to the German military, the charade of any renaissance in fossil fuel production to serve a energy starved planet should be realized by the general public at that time. Quickly followed by the repercussions of coming to grips with what that means to the future going forward from there.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Return to Peak Oil Discussion