Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

We Hear You Breathing

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

We Hear You Breathing

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 15 May 2013, 11:13:05

I hope our moderators don’t object to this post. But I notice one big difference between this site and others like The Oil Drum. peakoil.com has a lot of readers compared to regular posters. From personal conversations I know a lot of readers hesitate to post for two reasons. First, they don’t feel they understand the subject matter enough. I always tell them the best way to advance their knowledge base is to engage in the conversation. Second, they are concerned they’ll get jumped on by all us smarty pants. They watch us occasionally piss down each other legs and call it rain. I’ll admit it can be an enjoyable diversion at times. But many don’t care to join that game.

As I just said in another post I’m more interested in opinions than “facts” posted on sites like this. I can get all the facts I need off the Internet. I’m more interested in how folks view the facts and what they conclude from all this info swirling around us. It reminds me of that TV show about the immortals and the group of “watchers” that kept an eye on them but never interfered. Come on folks…interfere with the rest of us a bit. We won’t bite. Well…that’s not completely true. But the wounds won’t be fatal. LOL.

It's also very easy to register. Don't let that requirement stop you.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Re: WE HEAR YOU BREATHING

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Wed 15 May 2013, 11:30:07

The Oil Drum drumbeat sucks. It's run by Furher Leanan. No alternative points of view are allowed, and if you call out any BS from people like Westexas you are immediatly banned. F that place, and three cheers to the mods here for allowing healthy debate.
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Beery1 » Wed 15 May 2013, 12:56:13

TheAntiDoomer wrote:It's run by Furher Leanan.

I think you mean "Fuhrer".

...three cheers to the mods here for allowing healthy debate.

So let me get this straight. In your mind, when you insult people and use the forums to troll and make fun of any mention of oil perhaps being... I dunno... finite, that's "healthy" and "debate"?

'Cos I thought that was called "being a dipshit".

Just sayin'.
Last edited by Beery1 on Wed 15 May 2013, 13:00:33, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ritter » Wed 15 May 2013, 13:00:05

I've been hanging around here for some time. I've seen a lot of regulars that I really appreciated leave for one reason or another. I guess I've mostly stopped posting much as it has become clear in my mind that we'll limp along the plateau for some time until climate change knocks our collective d!cks in the dirt. So, I've been putting more energy into following that unfurling doom! :-D Still read hear regularly though.
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Wed 15 May 2013, 13:00:47

Beery, I see you're not interested in healthy debate, just mindless name calling.
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Wed 15 May 2013, 13:24:44

TheAntiDoomer wrote:Beery, I see you're not interested in healthy debate, just mindless name calling.

Your last half dozen contributions to "healthy debate"

I think they had one of these what if a comet strikes, ore what if there's a deadly plauge, entertaining but that's about it. If if's and butts were candy and nuts...

^rocdoc, I call that a "red flag" [referring to doc saying ROCK had his facts wrong]

Fact is Rockmans headline was silly and over the top, the fact is all the article is saying is that the shale gas revolution will come to other counties it will just take a little more time, so YEs other countries, shale gas for you!!

It's always been clear to me rocdoc Is miles ahead if Rockman. Rockman seems to be motivated by preaching doom and scarcity in hopes he'll get paid more. Honestly though rocdocs predictions are often right and rock mans are often wrong.

Based on what? Gut feeling? I just hope you don't bet money on that I like you Tanada. I don't want to see you end up broke like smallpoxgirl.

FYI, the site is WAY faster now, thanks for that!
Has there been any talk of linking the forum with the Tapatalk App for mobile?

WAY to long since a update here, if AirlinePilot ate his internet hat at 13,000 did he eat his internet underpants at 15,000?…

Relax Malthus Jr.

Pot meet Kettle.

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Wed 15 May 2013, 14:01:43

I did not call Rockman a "dipshit", I simply pointed out I question his credibilty and think he's wrong, that's not a ad-hom.

TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Beery1 » Wed 15 May 2013, 14:04:59

TheAntiDoomer wrote:Beery, I see you're not interested in healthy debate, just mindless name calling.

So are you trying to tell me I can join your club? Thanks, but no thanks.

I am interested in 'actual' healthy debate, which is why I don't shy away from calling trolls and other assorted douchebags and wastes of life what they are.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 15 May 2013, 14:23:28

Interesting response guys. Not stop scaring the crap out of the newbies. LOL. But, like I said, opinions are often more interesting than dry statistics. Come on newbies...please jump in.

BTW if someone did want to insult a petroleum geologist that has been wallowing in this mud pit for 38 years they are going to have to come up with something better than "dipshit". Heck, that's what I call my 12 daughter sometimes and she just laughs at me and walks away. Maybe that tough skin is genetic.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Wed 15 May 2013, 15:01:41

LOL, yeah, sorry.

One thing about having been here a while is I forget what I used to wonder about – not that I have all the answers now, just that I've run out of obvious questions. Once in a while I get an inspiration, like the "unconventional" thread.

It would be nice if some lurkers would sign up just to lob some slow pitches out there.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Oily Stuff » Wed 15 May 2013, 15:06:02

As someone new, it is a little scary, Rockman, thank you.

On other forums I have participated in I often find people generally manner less and rude to each other, especially when they don't agree. They would otherwise not engage with anybody face to face in such a manner; its the safety of their own home, and usernames, that allows them to be insulting. So they think. I generally hook it up and leave when that crap happens. Name calling is ridiculous.

There are some good, smart oilmen on this site with lots of experience and lots of insight into the intricacies of well and reservoir performance, of economics and predicting future outcomes. They know the real deal because they live it every day. They have seen many booms and many busts. People concerned about the energy future of our county should listen to these fellas carefully and hear what they have to say. Not everything worth knowing comes off a website link.
Oily Stuff
Peat
Peat

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 15 May 2013, 15:23:34

Well not a newbie but here's a question for you:
How many more giant oil discoveries do you think will be made in say, the next 2 decades? Not old discoveries that are now economical like Bakken. And not kerogen like Green River, but actual oil. Like how many more Lula(Tupi) oil fields do you think we will be finding in the next few decades?
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 15 May 2013, 16:34:33

New visitors to this site already represent a filter of sorts of the population at large, but the comments of newbies does act like a barometer of where the collective is and we should very much encourage and welcome comments from everyone. A lot of us old timers have become pretty fixed on hammering over and over a few main points and we seldom wander into new territory.......

What are the events that will act as catalysts to transition Kudzu Ape from overshoot to sustainability. That about sums up the main point I come back to again and again. Each of us have their focus and we do need more voices here.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Oily Stuff » Wed 15 May 2013, 17:04:25

Mr. Kublikhan, there are several geologists on this forum that should answer your question, not me. Sub salt discoveries like Tupi off Brazil are incredibly expensive to develop and often plagued with production problems. I think the production rates from those discoveries in Brazil have been less than stellar. Same for the GOM. I am quite certain there will be more of these kinds of discoveries, in deeper water, at enormous costs, but IMDAO, not enough.
Oily Stuff
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 15 May 2013, 17:22:27

k– Speculating can be safe since I won’t be proven wrong until long after I’m gone. Some biggies left but I wouldn’t guess too many. We won’t find big oil fields by drilling much deeper since oil can’t exist at those elevated temps. There aren’t too many basins left where there hasn’t been a lot of drilling done already. Won’t find any going further into the oceans in deeper water: ¾ of the sea floor doesn’t contain rocks that can form reservoirs.

The only new big trends have been the Deep Water. African and Brazil DW are relatively new and still have a fair bit of potential. The DW GOM…not so new. Lots of folks who just started paying attention to energy think it is. But the first DW GOM was developed in 1976. Since then over 160 fields have been developed out there. We could see the potential many years before on the seismic data but had to wait for the engineering tech to catch up. Big fields may catch the headlines but the smaller fields make up for it in their numbers. I’m drilling a well in a trend in Texas that has produced 4.5 billion bbls of oil. And I doubt anyone here would recognize the names of the two biggest: West Ranch and Tom O’Connor. They were discovered more than 60 years ago and are still producing a good bit of oil…at less than 10 bopd per well.

Just speculating again but I would guess much of our future production gains will be from a myriad of smaller fields that won’t get much press time.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 15 May 2013, 17:25:06

The 300lb Gorilla once said that this is full-contact internet. I liked that. I think it is good to have well moderated 'serious' sub forums but also have more looser Open sub-Forum and I even liked the Hall of Flames where we let freedom ring. I think I say this as someone who generally behaves myself. There's a lot of stuff I think or even write that never gets the send button so I try to moderate myself in that way, but it's entertaining and revealing to hear what people really think and their level of entrenchment to particular points of view which can only be revealed if you give them enough rope.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dbruning » Wed 15 May 2013, 19:53:08

Infrequent poster, long time reader.

The name calling, dirt throwing, and agenda promoting debates you guys often wage on each other have value to me.

Occasionally, to prove a point why someone is a dipstick they'll throw out facts I was unaware of.
Sometimes new stories are mentioned that interest me. And I like seeing what others think.

To wallow in the muck pit of those debates? No interest to me at all really. I have my opinions, others have theirs, someone will eventually be proven right.
I don't have any desire to convince anyone on this forum to change their minds as most of the posters are fairly set in their opinions.

But I will continue to happily read most of the tirades you guys have. :)
dbruning
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Wed 15 May 2013, 21:07:14

Quiet Oldbie from non-english speaking country here.

I follow the discussion both here, theoildrum (drumbeat), and on ourfiniteworld.

In my opinion the discussions should be as free and frank as possible. From my experience a lot people with intimate knowledge can be provoked to use strong language when they hit a wall of stupidity. It is not a reason to stop those discussions or delete them. Because they actually keep the discussions alive over the long term and they reinterate the basis of all the discussion - and once in a while some progress is made. When moderators start heavy censoring and banning users things fall apart after a while and when the site gets too "organized" and "reviewed".

A little like on theoildrum. How I miss the old times and oldtimers - where it didnt have a taste-conformity board on the articles and comments.
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion