Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak oil is now, all time high gas prices today

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Peak oil is now, all time high gas prices today

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 15 May 2013, 14:20:23

All time high today....... $4.19 gal here. I figure the middle east conflict should kill the American way of life shortly. Are west Coast prices @ $5 + gal now?
vision-master

Re: Peak oil is now, all time high gas prices today

Unread postby Beery1 » Wed 15 May 2013, 16:33:30

I have a 90 cent spread here in suburban Maryland - as little as $3.35 for regular and as much as $4.25 for premium. Not that I care about gasoline prices - gasoline is for suckers - I've never had to buy even a teaspoon of the stuff in my life. But I like to keep track to see how it's gonna affect food prices.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Econ101 » Wed 15 May 2013, 19:05:08

From $3.81 this morning to $4.30 this afternoon!

Dont think for a minute it reflects supply.

One reason gas prices are uncoupled from oil is the electric and hybrid car. These things are showing just how much some consumers are willing to pay to drive, so, at least to a degree we will all pay more. Its an unintended consequence but its real.

We are also having trouble with the EPA. They have made refining very difficult. Certainly refining capacity is tough to permit. There is one refinery North of Sioux Falls, SD that opened last year. The Fort Berthold Nation is building another. Both are small but have room to grow, especially Fort Berthold.

There are a lot of ways to control things, as recent political developments are showing. Some of these things are costing you a lot of money, me too, at the pump.

Just think if that 900,000 barrels North Dakota pumped today would flow right into a gas refinery for distribution to the United States in a non-political, efficient distribution system!! Every picture tells a story dont it!!
Econ101
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby John_A » Wed 15 May 2013, 19:11:58

vision-master wrote:All time high today....... $4.19 gal here. I figure the middle east conflict should kill the American way of life shortly. Are west Coast prices @ $5 + gal now?

Prices higher than that sure ain't killed Europe, any reason you figure they'll kill America? Quick check....run out into the middle of your local interstate, randomly jog back and forth across lanes, and if you come back and post we'll know peak oil is absolutely decimating the place where you live. If you don't come back...well...maybe the Europeans have a point?
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby John_A » Wed 15 May 2013, 19:18:57

Beery1 wrote:I have a 90 cent spread here in suburban Maryland - as little as $3.35 for regular and as much as $4.25 for premium. Not that I care about gasoline prices - gasoline is for suckers - I've never had to buy even a teaspoon of the stuff in my life. But I like to keep track to see how it's gonna affect food prices.

You sir, deserve an award of some sort. My hat is off to you, and I agree with you completely. While not able to kick the habit as well as you, my years of peak oil awareness have stood me in good stead when it comes to progressively spending less and less on gasoline, even as it becomes more and more expensive.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby careinke » Wed 15 May 2013, 19:57:40

For Regular today. The Low I saw was 4.03 and $4.17/gal the high. Whats up?
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Econ101 » Wed 15 May 2013, 20:15:30

SNAP (food stamps) affects food prices more than fuel costs.
Econ101
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 15 May 2013, 20:27:43

Beery1 wrote:gasoline is for suckers - I've never had to buy even a teaspoon of the stuff in my life.

Have you ever rode on a bus or flown in an airplane or taken a ferry boat ride?

If you have then you bought the gasoline for your trip when you purchased your ticket.

Airplanes run on gasoline!
Last edited by Plantagenet on Wed 15 May 2013, 20:31:02, edited 1 time in total.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Wed 15 May 2013, 20:29:31

Just think if that 900,000 barrels North Dakota pumped today would flow right into a gas refinery for distribution to the United States in a non-political, efficient distribution system!! Every picture tells a story dont it!!

LOL, where do you think it goes?
The US uses 18 million a day, 782,934 bbls is a drop in the bucket

* ND daily production for March
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Wed 15 May 2013, 20:52:17

Econ101 wrote:SNAP (food stamps) affects food prices more than fuel costs.

Criminy, your trove of unsubstantiated assertions never ceases to amaze me.

It's like a full time job following you around and refuting your BS.

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Wed 15 May 2013, 21:17:29

Hi Pops

Thanks for bringing up that graph again.

When i was looking at it one thing struck me:
It looks like the correlation between food price and oil price has increased noticably in the last few years of the graph.

Earlier on in the graph it looks like food prices had some kind of "buffer" - maybe long term energy contracts - but now it looks like they are paying spot price for the energy or some similar effect.

Do you or others have some thoughts/data about how this has come about?
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby John_A » Wed 15 May 2013, 21:19:30

careinke wrote:For Regular today. The Low I saw was 4.03 and $4.17/gal the high. Whats up?

The price of gas. Poor convenience store owners have to try and get at least some portion of the usual spring runup in prices prior to the recent surges in supply showing up in inventories and cratering margins.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 15 May 2013, 21:26:24

Pops – “Just think if that 900,000 barrels North Dakota pumped today would flow right into a gas refinery…” Colour me confused again: AFAIK every bbl of oil produced in N Dakota does flow into a refinery somewhere. Along with every future bbl. And along with the 18 million bbls of oil we consume every day.

And not to take a bit of credit away from beery but I had never bought a teaspoon of motor fuel for the first 25 years of my life. And the grandparents who raised me never bought a teaspoon of motor fuel their entire lives. OTOH they and I have depended on the consumption of motor fuel for ever day of our lives. We might not have been burning any but someone was for our benefit.

Now if I could get about 100 million Americans to follow beery’s lead I could buy that V8 4X4 pickup I’ve always longed for. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Wed 15 May 2013, 21:58:56

Peak_Yeast wrote:Hi Pops
It looks like the correlation between food price and oil price has increased noticably in the last few years of the graph.

Hi Yeast, Make one think of Liebig's law doesn't it? Growth isn't limited by total resources but by the scarcest resource. Prior to the oil price moving up it wasn't the determining factor in food prices but once it passed some level perhaps it was.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 15 May 2013, 22:18:41

Pops wrote:

Hi Yeast, Make one think of Liebig's law doesn't it? Growth isn't limited by total resources but by the scarcest resource. Prior to the oil price moving up it wasn't the determining factor in food prices but once it passed some level perhaps it was.

I think if more people were to garden or farm they would understand this so much better. It doesn't matter if there is plenty of Nitrogen in your fertilizer if the plants have a shortage of Phosphorus or Sulfur
, nor vice versa. It is what you lack that matters most, not what you have in abundance.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Wed 15 May 2013, 22:39:26

Pops wrote:

I agree that is also my first impression. I think I understand the impact of scarcest resource. At least a little.

My simple mind tells me that if the resource limit is being reached and the price is not rising then it means that its not possible for some to pay more and demand destruction should be evident.

But if a limit was reached in 2008 - first in production, then in what people could pay - what stopped this oscillation from occurring again? Perhaps there could have been implemented some type of "Executive order" to stabilize the price - which possibly made a tighter correllation between food and oil?

Perhaps its just me being impatient, but I would have suspected the oscillation period to be faster than it is.
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 15 May 2013, 23:46:08

That's the expectation of those who forget the rest of the world, outside the USA and the rest of the price based demand destruction sphere. There is another part of the world where it takes several hours wages to buy 1 liter (1 Gal/ 3.8L) of gasoline, where a full 12 hour day might buy a gallon- these places are still growing their demand. What does this say about the DD regions? The expectation of cheap gas is the real issue, not value for money or utility for perceived necessity. To those likely to supply the next 30 years of oil, does demand destruction in the developed world matter when the rest of the world is willing to work it's butt off to pay for the product?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pops » Thu 16 May 2013, 07:37:29

Yeast,
The thing about food prices is that the driver of supply is not fast to respond to changes in the market simply because the production cycle is long. I raise feeder calves, from the time the decision is made to add a new calf to the markets several years go by. Instead of selling a heifer into the slaughter market she is bred, then she calves then the calf is raised and slaughtered. Right now decisions are being made that affect the beef supply in 2016. Obviously not everything is on as long a cycle as dairy and beef but potential damage to the winter wheat crop for a cold spring for example is impacting how much corn is planted right now, which affects what the cost is to feed the above mentioned calf in 2 years...

I'm off topic. :)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Beery1 » Thu 16 May 2013, 07:51:35

Plantagenet wrote:
Beery1 wrote:gasoline is for suckers - I've never had to buy even a teaspoon of the stuff in my life.

Have you ever rode on a bus or flown in an airplane or taken a ferry boat ride?

I've done a lot of things that have involved gasoline - I also eat food that's farmed with gasoline-powered tractors and delivered to grocery stores on gasoline-powered trucks, I order things over the internet for home delivery using a gasoline delivery truck and I have the government pick up my trash with gasoline-powered trucks - and many other things that can't be done other than by people using gasoline (against my wishes I might add - if I could get these things done by people on bicycles, I would, but I can't). But I have never once bought gasoline. Buying gasoline is for suckers. That's all I said.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 16 May 2013, 10:48:49

Suckers like the providers of all those services? Should they prefer to go out of business if they can't 'do it on a bike'? (Just askin') :)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion