Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Gross error on eia website

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Gross error on eia website

Unread postby Poordogabone » Mon 20 May 2013, 17:38:51

I just sent this to eia:

Dear EIA, it came to my attention on the following page from your website,

http://www.eia.gov/countries/index.cfm?topL=exp

that when I checked on the top oil export countries, and click on their respective graphs for net export/imports(-), you see a gross error for 2012 as it represents total production and not the subtraction of consumption from production like it ordinarily should.

This error has been up for a while now.
I hope this fluke can be corrected. A lot of people uses your information for important decisions and count on the reliability of the information that you put out.
Thanks in anticipation for a rectification

Wonder if anybody else had noticed that, it sure would add a bonanza of oil on the market if it was true.
Poordogabone
Peat
Peat

Re: Gross error on eia website

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 20 May 2013, 17:55:48

P - Interesting. Mucho thanks. What would be even more interesting IMHO: if they could also back off the volume of net export oil by the amount already committed to long term purchasing contracts. For instance Venezuela exports X bopd but hundreds of thousands of bbls goes to China on long term contracts and isn’t available for purchase on the open market. And then there’s that portion of the exports that are owned by third parties. Angola may export X bopd but some of that oil belongs to a Chinese oil company before it flowed out of a well head and it won’t be available for purchase on the open market as well.

Just wishful thinking. I doubt such details will ever be released.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Re: Gross error on eia website

Unread postby radon » Tue 21 May 2013, 04:07:28

http://www.eia.gov/countries/cab.cfm?fips=RS
In June 2012, BP announced that it is seeking to sell its 50 percent share in the TNK-BP partnership and it is unlikely that the BP share would be purchased by a non-Russian company.

Looks like the info on their website is outdated. BP has already sold this share to Rosneft quite a while ago.
radon

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models