Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Santos Basin

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Santos Basin

Unread postby vampyregirl » Wed 29 May 2013, 11:06:23

Petrobas has found oil about 235km off the coast of Rio de Janeiro at a depth of 2,266 meters. The discovery is estimated to contain 4 billion boe. Its contains a medium grade of crude.
vampyregirl
Coal
Coal

Re: Santos Basin

Unread postby Ron Patterson » Wed 29 May 2013, 12:22:04

The figures for this find keep changing. From May 24th. Search:
Offshore oil: Petrobras hits oil at Florim well in Santos Basin
Petrobras has completed drilling and conducted a formation test in the well discovered in the Santos Basin pre-salt cluster...

The well was completed at a depth of 6,004 meters ...

The Rights' Transfer agreement sets a volume of 467 million barrels of oil for the Florim area and, according to the contract, the exploratory phase ends in September 2014.

I don't think this is a really much of a big deal.
Ron Patterson
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pops » Wed 29 May 2013, 13:17:51

The Lula field was discovered 7 years ago, it was called Tupi originally, est. at 8Bn bbls. They've started signing some contracts lately I read.

Here is what I wrote a couple of years ago regarding the "sub-salt" FWIW:
My take, fwiw, is the GOM sediment has a "floor" of salt (evaporated seawater) from back when it first was formed and engineers had previously thought anytime they hit salt they were at the bottom of the sediment so no reason to continue drilling.

Turns out that salt "flows" under pressure so it can squeeze around and even over oil, trapping it deeper (and hotter) than previously thought. It's like looking for the remote under the couch but not under the rug because it "can't" be there.

post1004993.html?hilit=salt#p1004993
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 29 May 2013, 15:41:14

Interesting.

Well I guess every little bit sustains the plateau a little bit, but it sure feels like we are grasping every straw at this point.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 29 May 2013, 16:40:26

Pops – That’s a very apt description. But the salt movements were even much more dynamic in some areas. It’s been documented that very large blocks of rocks (tens of thousands of acres) had been ripped loose and flip completely upside down. They discovered this by paleo: as they drilled deeper they kept finding younger and younger fossils. Think of an iceberg but made of rocks…and then flipped upside down. Though extremely slow action but imagine the force involved.

Eventually they discovered there were even some subsalt plays onshore. They found that the classic mushroom shaped salt dome didn’t always extend all the way down to the massive salt layer but were more like giant tear drops of salt floating in the rocks. As far as temps go it wasn’t so much that the oil was more stable (the thermodynamic don’t change with where the oil is found) but the found temps in the DW GOM much lower than anyone anticipated at those depths.

The last DW well I was on set a couple of records. Shallowest penetration of salt: 600’ below the sea floor. And thickest salt section drilled: 24,000’. Think of a long shaft of salt poking up. Drilled another 9,000’ after exiting the salt. We were going to be the deepest well drilled in the western hemisphere but at 33,000’ they didn’t have any hope of finding pay deeper so we stopped. Then we just plugged and abandoned a $98 million hole in the ground.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Peak Oil Discussion