Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Who benefits from the long emergency scenario?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Who benefits from the long emergency scenario?

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 01:17:25

Maybe government but I can't see much else.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Who benefits from the long emergency scenario?

Unread postby Palpatine » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 01:19:03

mmasters wrote:Maybe government but I can't see much else.

I didn't realize this was optional.
Compared to what alternative? Short emergency? No emergency?
What are you comparing it too?

Are you asking financially who benefits? These companies seem to be performing well so far during a plateau peak (long emergency) scenario.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=TSLA

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=SCTY+Basic+Chart&t=1y

I am sure there are quite a few others. I am just tossing out a few examples to give you an idea.
Palpatine
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 01:54:34

The "long emergency" doesn't benefit anyone.

The whole reason there is a "long emergency" is that people are growing progressively poorer as nations and the eventually the entire global economy go through repeated cycles of crisis and recovery in response to peak oil.

There might be some short-term benefits to oil producing regions, oil traders, etc., but in the long term it doesn't benefit anyone. :)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 02:01:08

Plantagenet wrote:The "long emergency" doesn't benefit anyone.

The whole reason there is a "long emergency" is that people are growing progressively poorer as nations and the eventually the entire global economy go through repeated cycles of crisis and recovery in response to peak oil.

There might be some short-term benefits to oil producing regions, oil traders, etc., but in the long term it doesn't benefit anyone. :)

That's what I'm thinking too. I'm wondering why they don't engineer some oil crisis to heard the sheep to their problem solving stations. It seems like it's in everyone's best interest.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Palpatine » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 02:23:11

mmasters wrote:That's what I'm thinking too. I'm wondering why they don't engineer some oil crisis to heard the sheep to their problem solving stations. It seems like it's in everyone's best interest.

Who is "they"? Is there someone behind the curtain pulling the strings and this was all part of some master plan?
Are you about to pull a Savinar on us with a conspiracy theory?
Palpatine
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 02:31:31

Palpatine wrote:
mmasters wrote:That's what I'm thinking too. I'm wondering why they don't engineer some oil crisis to heard the sheep to their problem solving stations. It seems like it's in everyone's best interest.

Who is "they"? Is there someone behind the curtain pulling the strings and this was all part of some master plan?
Are you about to pull a Savinar on us with a conspiracy theory?

The powers that be. I don't think they are as all powerful as many give them credit for but I do think groups exist that try to do this sort of thing. I think 911 was an engineered event.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Palpatine » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 02:39:46

mmasters wrote:The powers that be. I don't think they are as all powerful as many give them credit for but I do think groups exist that try to do this sort of thing. I think 911 was an engineered event.

Are you trolling me now?
It was an engineered event. By a group of crazy muslims.
Palpatine
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 04:31:45

Palpatine wrote:
mmasters wrote:The powers that be. I don't think they are as all powerful as many give them credit for but I do think groups exist that try to do this sort of thing. I think 911 was an engineered event.

Are you trolling me now?
It was an engineered event. By a group of crazy muslims.

Taught in a cave with box cutters. I don't buy it.

What about building 7? Wasn't particularly close to the tower's wake, had little structural damage and collapsed like a house of cards
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 04:54:44

There is a thread for this:
9-11-redux-pt-3-t62846-480.html
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Palpatine » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 05:45:14

mmasters wrote:Taught in a cave with box cutters. I don't buy it.

What about building 7? Wasn't particularly close to the tower's wake, had little structural damage and collapsed like a house of cards

I guess I was wrong. The crazies are still involved in PO. It's too bad.

I thought with bozos like Matt Savinar gone, PO might be able to rebuild credibility with the mainstream. But it looks like PO is still a magnet for the conspiracy crowd.
Palpatine
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 08:40:07

Those who end up on top of the power structure on the local/state/regional/federal/world levels will be those who benefit from the Long Emergency. Those who become the new peasant class and those who lose there grip on power during the transitions of the Long Emergency will not benefit.

TPTB now may remain TPTB afterwards, or they may lose their grip in the transition of the many crisis that make up The Long Emergency. If I were them I would not want to risk it so I would keep BAU going as long as possible using every trick and strategy I could think of because being TPTB is kinda sweet as a lifestyle.

Oh wait, that is exactly what we are seeing played out today. Hmm, does that mean we are in The Long Emergency already???? See Pops excellent analysis
the-plateau-is-the-peak-t68427.html
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 14:54:19

Tanada wrote:Those who end up on top of the power structure on the local/state/regional/federal/world levels will be those who benefit from the Long Emergency. Those who become the new peasant class and those who lose there grip on power during the transitions of the Long Emergency will not benefit.

TPTB now may remain TPTB afterwards, or they may lose their grip in the transition of the many crisis that make up The Long Emergency. If I were them I would not want to risk it so I would keep BAU going as long as possible using every trick and strategy I could think of because being TPTB is kinda sweet as a lifestyle.

Oh wait, that is exactly what we are seeing played out today. Hmm, does that mean we are in The Long Emergency already???? See Pops excellent analysis
the-plateau-is-the-peak-t68427.html

Yeah true, when you got a couple hundred million and are networked into the club not much really can affect your position. Either way it goes they'll maintain their power. If they cared about the middle and lower classes or some kind of more sustainable future for the greater good they'd do something but I doubt they give a shit. There will be oil for the wealthy for many generations to come. I tend to care for my fellow man (somewhat at least) and think an oil crisis would be the best thing for the human race as a whole. There's not enough critical thinkers out there to lead the way in fixing things.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Palpatine » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 15:48:50

Long Emergency Winners and Losers:

Egyptian Army seems to be +1
Muslim Brotherhood seems to be on the down trend.
Palpatine
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 22:03:47

Palpatine wrote:I guess I was wrong. The crazies are still involved in PO. It's too bad.

I thought with bozos like Matt Savinar gone, PO might be able to rebuild credibility with the mainstream. But it looks like PO is still a magnet for the conspiracy crowd.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... world.html

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/05/ ... arket.html
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion