Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

adjustment of oil production rate

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

adjustment of oil production rate

Unread postby Mavrkamag » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 01:32:53

Hi all,

I have a question concerning the adjustment of oil production/extraction. How fast can the amount of extracted oil / day be adjusted? Say, the company sees unfavorable demand/volatility or whatever and wants to reduce or increase production. How long would it take to change the production rate? I mean what would be reasonable to assume from a technical viewpoint (1 month lead time maybe?).
I am asking because I really couldn't find anything related on the web and wanted to do some regressions of oil production on some other variables. Maybe you can help me out.

Best regards, :-D
Mavrkamag
Wood
Wood

Re: adjustment of oil production rate

Unread postby Pops » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 08:42:55

Mave, I'm no expert but looking at a plot of KSA production should give you some idea.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 09:23:01

Scaling up to signals is another world to scaling down. The way most primary industry contracts are written amounts to- you help us make money and while we are making money you will make money; we stop making money, it's shut down, lights off, time to look for another job. Extractive set ups are always built around assumed price parameters, primarily likely fetch price, then likely inputs, with a range of tolerances built in. When prices exceed expectation and costs are within budget, everyone is happy, when the reverse happens- shut down operations ensue.

(Pops is teasing you perhaps the bot seeming name? Just overlay a given commodity price with a given production 'response' and there's your answer.)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pops » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 10:06:40

KSA regularly "turns on/off" 1-2.5Mbl/d and it doesn't necessarily relate to well numbers - or at least rigs in this chart from Staniford.

Or am I answering the wrong question?

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ron Patterson » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 11:32:28

Last summer Saudi along with every other OPEC country, was producing flat out. Then they began a gradual decline of about 200 kb/d over four months. Then they, I believe, cut production by about about half a million barrels per day. They were not producing flat out so there was no way to tell how much they were actually declining.

Then early this year, they brought Manifa on line. Production has increased almost half a million barrels per day since January. They are now at 9,575,000 barrels per day. Their actual production capacity, if any, is a closely guarded secret. Everyone, including the IEA and the EIA, are just guessing as to what Saudi could actually produce if they were to ramp up to full capacity. My guess is they are within half a million barrels per day of full capacity.

All other nations, and all major oil companies, are producing flat out though there are some political restrictions in a few places like Iran, Libya and a few other places. So no one, with the possible exception of Saudi Arabia, could adjust their production rate upward. http://peakoilbarrel.com/
Ron Patterson
Peat
Peat

Unread postby John_A » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 14:48:28

Ron Patterson wrote:Last summer Saudi along with every other OPEC country, was producing flat out. Then they began a gradual decline of about 200 kb/d over four months. Then they, I believe, cut production by about about half a million barrels per day. They were not producing flat out so there was no way to tell how much they were actually declining.

Then early this year, they brought Manifa on line. Production has increased almost half a million barrels per day since January. They are now at 9,575,000 barrels per day. Their actual production capacity, if any, is a closely guarded secret.

Then how do we know that last summer they were producing flat out? Without knowing the production capacity, it doesn't seem likely anyone can say "flat out" at all?
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ron Patterson » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 15:08:44

Then how do we know that last summer they were producing flat out? Without knowing the production capacity, it doesn't seem likely anyone can say "flat out" at all?

If everything is a state secret, like it is in most OPEC countries, then there is no way we can know anything. All we can do is observe their actions. They are increasing their rig count. Their rig count is set to hit 200 this year, up from 133 at the end of last year. They are trying to inject CO2 into Ghawar to enhance production. They are sounding in the Red Sea, under deep water and 7,000 feet of salt.

However every once in a long while, a Saudi official slips up and tells the truth:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/17/business/energy-environment/us-reliance-on-saudi-oil-is-growing-again.html?_r=2&
On page two of this New York Times article we get:
“This is strictly, totally business,” said Sadad Al Husseini, a former executive at Saudi Aramco, the state oil company.
Saudi production is flat out. Where you send it is a matter of where you make the best profit.”

And that statement was made... drum roll please... last summer.
Ron Patterson
Peat
Peat

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 10 Jul 2013, 20:46:23

Sadad doesn't toe the party line, to say the least. Good for him.

Official definition of what the OP's talking about: "EIA defines spare capacity as the volume of production that can be brought on within 30 days and sustained for at least 90 days. Saudi Arabia, the largest oil producer within OPEC and the world's largest oil exporter, historically has had the greatest spare capacity. Saudi Arabia has usually kept more than 1.5 - 2 million barrels per day of spare capacity on hand for market management."

U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) on OPEC/Market Prices.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance